Need opinions on used car for my son PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Did I miss where you posted the price of this Subaru?

People may change their opinion if the owner was asking $10k.

How much?

Approx 5K

with gas as cheap as it has been in the past 5 years, i'm tempted to put my hemi on cinderblocks and burn a few tanks of gas just for kicks.

Subaru has 115K, needed a timing chain and head gasket, the other car has 30K miles, I would pass on the Subaru, sound like a money pit and they are dumping it! Also Subarus are rot buckets.

I see where we differ.
I was writing in the absolute sense, not the comparative one.
Having owned three AWD Subies, I can speak from experience that good fuel economy is not among their virtues, although the newer ones are apparently much better in that regard.
In the real world, I can set the cruise at around 75 mph and see 26-28 mpg from our Forester two up with a week's worth of gear whie at the same speed and load, our '12 Accord will do 32-34 mpg.
The Accord's much taller gearing probably helps somewhat.
Bottom line would be that if the young propective buyer does very many miles, neither the Subaru nor the Sebring would be a good choice.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Bottom line would be that if the young propective buyer does very many miles, neither the Subaru nor the Sebring would be a good choice.

That's exactly what I was getting at with my earlier post. I know the OP asked specifically about these two, but after describing his son's situation, he didn't tell us why these two were the only (poor) options for this situation...

Originally Posted By: lukejo

That's exactly what I was getting at with my earlier post. I know the OP asked specifically about these two, but after describing his son's situation, he didn't tell us why these two were the only (poor) options for this situation...

The OP hasn't mentioned MPG needs. With a used car under $5k, sometimes reliability trumps mpg. There are always trade offs.

I'm not sure he's limiting his selection to these two, but rather asking opinions on two choices that he feels comfortable about the previous owners: a questionable very low mileage unit vs. a respected brand that already had it's major repairs, but also has the potential for rust and high upkeep. Subies seem to have owners that get great reliability or ones that claim they are very high maintenance cost during their later years. Buying used is always about balancing risk factors vs. allotted purchase price.

Personally, unless I was a very competent diyer, could afford down time,and the price is very low, I would keep shopping.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: lukejo

The OP hasn't mentioned MPG needs. With a used car under $5k, sometimes reliability trumps mpg. There are always trade offs.

I'm not sure he's limiting his selection to these two, but rather asking opinions on two choices that he feels comfortable about the previous owners: a questionable very low mileage unit vs. a respected brand that already had it's major repairs, but also has the potential for rust and high upkeep. Subies seem to have owners that get great reliability or ones that claim they are very high maintenance cost during their later years. Buying used is always about balancing risk factors vs. allotted purchase price.

Personally, unless I was a very competent diyer, could afford down time,and the price is very low, I would keep shopping.

I completely agree. I wasn't referring to MPG, but rather reliability with higher mileage use/time owned.

These are not the only cars we are looking at, just two in my son's price range with a known history.

Test drove the Subaru. Drives well. Has had oil changes at 3K intervals. Has all service records. New tires and brakes. Only issue I see is it may need front axle half shafts. CV boots are torn. Any idea of cost?

Cheap.
You can buy complete shafts with inner and outer joints for cheap.
You can also just replace the outer joints, which should be the ones with split boots, for cheaper.

Cheap.
You can buy complete shafts with inner and outer joints for cheap.
You can also just replace the outer joints, which should be the ones with split boots, for cheaper.

No, it was the inner boots that are torn.

Originally Posted By: Titan104
I've had very good service from all of the Chrysler/Dodge vehicles that I have owned.

So have I. But here whenever you mention ANY brand along come the "bashers" to straighten you out on those poor choices.

Coincidentally they all seem to recommend what THEY'RE driving!

Spoke with the mechanic who has maintained this car since 29K miles. All maintenance has been done with regular fluid changes. Has new brakes and tires. No rust on the subframe.

Gave an estimate on new front half-shafts and will see if I can work this into the sale price. This might be the car if the price is right.

Thanks for all your insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back