Need oil/filter opinion on 2007 honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Redpatches
I change my Odyssey's oil every 6 months with a quality synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum plus a good quality oil filter. You can run either a 5W-20 or 0W-20 according to Honda. For the transmission you may want to do
a 3X drain and fill with drive cycle in between. That should hold you for about 30,000 miles. There is no ATF filter to change. ONLY USE Honda ATF-DW1. Should take little over 3 quarts per change. Also think about changing out the power steering fluid, brake fluid, coolant and spark plugs as
the car is over 80,000 miles. All are easy DIY fixes.
grin2.gif

Actually it's 83,000km (~52000 miles). Coolant is the Type 2 Honda so it's good for a couple more years. Iridium Spark plugs are also good for a few more miles. I used Honda ATF-DW1 (1 dump/refill) for now and I'll do another on the next oil change. Also replaced PS fluid but didn't think of the brake fluid (thanks for the input!).

Originally Posted By: Mauro
Actually it's 83,000km (~52000 miles). Coolant is the Type 2 Honda so it's good for a couple more years. Iridium Spark plugs are also good for a few more miles. I used Honda ATF-DW1 (1 dump/refill) for now and I'll do another on the next oil change. Also replaced PS fluid but didn't think of the brake fluid (thanks for the input!).

Thanks for the milage correction. Everything sounds good. The only other thing you may want to is pull the sparks plugs, clean/inspect them, and reinstall them with a dab of Anti-Seize on the threads so they don't lock into the engine.
(Recommended every 40,000 miles I believe).
When you eventually replace them use only the NGK Laser Iridiums that are OEM for the car. They are great spark plugs and should last between 80,000-100,000 miles. Also check out this website as the forums are very helpful for researching any Odyssey questions/DIY instructions that you may have.
http://www.odyclub.com/index.php

Do you have the 3.5 with VCM? It is only on the EX-L and Touring models. If you have the standard 3.5, I would just follow the MM intervals with synthetic as the standard 3.5 is much easier on oil.

With PP or other high quality synthetics you shouldn't have issues even with VCM.

Originally Posted By: NO2
With PP or other high quality synthetics you shouldn't have issues even with VCM.

I second that. My Oddy Touring has the I-VTEC/VCM system and so far I have run only M1, PP and Edge Titanium. The oil seems to get dirty very quickly in this engine but so far have not had any problem with sludge or the VCM.

I've had an 05 CRV since new so I know the K24 engine very well but the V6 is a bit of a mystery to me. Not sure what VCM is but with any new vehicle I purchase, I usually join a forum and read the posts on my spare time just to simply better understand what I'm going to be maintaining. Thanks again for all your input. This site is definitely one of the more helpful!

FYI: VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) is fuel-saving technology that automatically deactivates 1/3 or 1/2 of the cylinders, according to the driving conditions. See http://world.honda.com/automobile-technology/VCM/ for mor details. Whether it actually saves fuel is debatable.

And I don't know about the last gen Odyssey, but the current gen has an ECO light on the cluster that comes on when the VCM shuts down 3 of the 6 cylinders. That would be a true indication of having a 3.5 with VCM.

There is no ATF filter to change.

There is an ATF filter that can be changed, however Honda has no recommended service interval for it. On earlier models it is a screw-in canister. On this model it appears to be a replacable filter element. It is part number 25450-P4V-013.

You can find it by going to Majestic Honda's parts website, choosing Odyssey, year, model, and drilling down to parts diagram "AT ATF PIPE ( 07-)". I would link it but the site is not deeplink friendly, it usually doesn't work.

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

It also exists on other Honda models: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25055

For some reason Toyota plays this same "no change recommendation" game with trans filters. While my 10th Gen Corolla has one, the ATF has no recommended service interval and neither does the filter. (No it's not a screen it's a filter). At least Honda recommends regular ATF drain-n-fills, Toyota does not. I keep on top of both. My preference is to change the filter on both vehicles during the second drain-n-fill cycle of three or four. I have a long complicated logical reasoning for this choice of interval replacement, which I don't have to justify to anyone because I am already exceeding the manufacturer's care recommendations just by replacing it at all.

HF

Originally Posted By: HangFire
There is no ATF filter to change.

There is an ATF filter that can be changed, however Honda has no recommended service interval for it. On earlier models it is a screw-in canister. On this model it appears to be a replacable filter element. It is part number 25450-P4V-013.

You can find it by going to Majestic Honda's parts website, choosing Odyssey, year, model, and drilling down to parts diagram "AT ATF PIPE ( 07-)". I would link it but the site is not deeplink friendly, it usually doesn't work.

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

It also exists on other Honda models: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25055

For some reason Toyota plays this same "no change recommendation" game with trans filters. While my 10th Gen Corolla has one, the ATF has no recommended service interval and neither does the filter. (No it's not a screen it's a filter). At least Honda recommends regular ATF drain-n-fills, Toyota does not. I keep on top of both. My preference is to change the filter on both vehicles during the second drain-n-fill cycle of three or four. I have a long complicated logical reasoning for this choice of interval replacement, which I don't have to justify to anyone because I am already exceeding the manufacturer's care recommendations just by replacing it at all.

HF

My CRV has an inline filter with no change interval. I was planning on doing that one next summer when trans service is due. Guess I'll do the same with the Odyssey.

The P1 filter is awesome! I love the textured grip, so I'd use that unless something else happens to be on sale.

Use any good synthetic with the minder's OCI.

And of course, as someone else said, important to change the ATF. Do it every 30k unless the MM monitors the ATF as well (some of them do, some don't)

This van probably does not have VCM. Before about 2009 or so, only the EX-L and Touring models had VCM. LX and EX trims (in the 'States) had the normal J35, which is likely preferrable in this case.

I have the exact same powertrain in our 2005 MDX, except that ours has a PTO from the transmission that turns the rear propeller shaft. I usually use synethtic oil in this engine, though I have quite a stash of PYB 5W-20 that I will run through for the next 3-4 oil changes. As you noted, the filter is the same that your CR-V takes. Same with us. Transmission fluid changes, as you know, are easy-breezy. I have used Valvoline MaxLife, Castrol Transmax IMV, original Honda Z1, and newer Honda DW-1 in ours. I am using DW-1 from here on. Others worked okay, but it operates the best on DW-1. Ours will turn 100k miles this week or next, and it shifts beautifully. I do one drain and fill every 15k miles just to keep the fluid fresh, and I'd recommend that for you as well. I change the oil in ours every 5,000 miles. My wife does a lot of short tripping to our kids' schools and back, so I don't extend it too far.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Well, yes, there is technically a filter (more like a screen actually) and there is no service interval as stated. From what I understand you have to pretty much disassemble most of the transmission to change it out, not a DIY job. What is essential with these fussy Honda transmissions is that you
change the ATF per the Service Manual (30,000 miles) (with only Honda brand ATF I might add). Check out Eric The Car Guy video
for some great tips on changing Honda ATF fluid and other DIY jobs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7_RsnD8hAU

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back