need new tire asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys i have a 1999 accord ex v6 2dr 16-inch rims and i need new tires badly ! i think the size of the tire is 205/60-16. back tires are cracking and there is a big chuck that was rip off somehow. i kept delaying on changing them but my dad wanted me to do it soon. i was hoping to spend under 400 dollars. i would also like to have alignment and wheel balance done too. tire rack shows Kumho Solus KH16 and Yokohama AVID H4S as best sellers.

Last edited:
I would lean toward the Yokohama - because I've had some great tires from them in the last few years and have them on my Volvo. Not that I have anything against the Kumho - I just don't know anything about them.

Do you have a Discount Tire in your area? Pick a tire, shop the web and then go to Discount Tire. They will match the price, which will be lower than the normal walk in price AND lower than Tire Rack.

I think new tires + alignment for under $400 will be tough. Most decent places want around $75-100 for an alignment. That means you'll have to find tires in the $50-60 range to stay within your budget. Don't forget, they'll charge you sales tax, maybe a tire disposal fee, cost for mounting, balancing, wheel weights, new valves and stems, etc.

In LA there are like 5,000,000 wheel and tire joints that can hook you up. Maybe 6,000,000. I moved away some years ago so I don't know the current number. But there are A LOT of tire places. I don't think mail ordering tires will save you much money.

My advice is to shop your local tire joints and see what they can do for you. Tell them your budget and what you want. They might have a deal with their tire supplier or can offer a nice discount on alignment. Chances are you're not going to get Michelins or other top brand but who knows? Shop at least 5 or 6 local stores and tell them you're ready to buy but need a smokin deal. I think you'll find one or two stores that will work with you.

In that size, I like:

Toyo Proxes TPT from Edge Racing $82
Falken Ziex ZE-912 (CR #1 pick in Nov. 07) from Edge Racing $67

I'd check out the Dunlop SP Sport Signature fron Tire Rack for $87
We run the Yokohama Avid V4S on an MB with good results. Tire Rack Price $89

Ive heard good things about the Michelin Primacy MXV4, from the tire rack $119.

JMH

Try the Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grids. It's a new tire from Bridgestone that replaced the G009s.

They have a $50 cash card offer with the purchase of a set of four. This should drop the price down to about $70/tire.

You do not need to purchase the tires from TireRack. Print out the price from TireRack and take it to America's Tire and they will match the price.

You probably can't do it for under 400 with alignment and mounting and tires and tax with those tires in those size (70 ea x 4 = 280 + shipping = 310 + mounting = 350 + alignment = 420, that's not including tax)

I'd think you need to go to ebay to buy discounttiresdirect surplus for whatever they have for you.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
You probably can't do it for under 400 with alignment and mounting and tires and tax with those tires in those size (70 ea x 4 = 280 + shipping = 310 + mounting = 350 + alignment = 420, that's not including tax)

I'd think you need to go to ebay to buy discounttiresdirect surplus for whatever they have for you.

He could definitely do it for 400. As long as he can find a local place to match the price, he can get it installed for 350. Then he just needs to get a $49.95 alignment at Pep Boys when it's on sale.

hey guys thanks for recommending me some tires. i am still indecisive of what to pick. The Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grids sounds good and got high ratings but that is on based on a couple of reviews from tirerack. Yokohama AVID H4S sounds like they are bad after you run them for x miles and kumho has an attracting price for a decent tire but can it be too good to be true? i have kumho 716 as my rear tire and they are cracking and chipping off. Falken i heard are very soft tires so they wear quickly. But to my limited knowledge, i hear many good things about toyo tires.

Originally Posted By: dorkiedoode
hey guys thanks for recommending me some tires. i am still indecisive of what to pick. The Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grids sounds good and got high ratings but that is on based on a couple of reviews from tirerack. Yokohama AVID H4S sounds like they are bad after you run them for x miles and kumho has an attracting price for a decent tire but can it be too good to be true? i have kumho 716 as my rear tire and they are cracking and chipping off. Falken i heard are very soft tires so they wear quickly. But to my limited knowledge, i hear many good things about toyo tires.

The G019 has only been out for about a month or two, so reviews will be limited. However, its predecessor, the G009 Grid, was one of the best tires for the money according to the reviews on TireRack. The G019 is essentially an improvement of the G009 as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted By: dorkiedoode
....G019 Grids sounds good and got high ratings but that is on based on a couple of reviews from tirerack. ...

Read the reviews on tirerack.com with a serious grain of salt. Most people are elated when a tire is new since there old were likely worn out and noisy. New tires are typically always great but the real test is when they hit 20-30k+ and they rear their ugly qualities.

Most people "reviewing" on tirerack have little qualification, you find people crying about poor winter performance of Summer tires(not to be used
The reviews to read are those put in by tirerack themselves comparing tires.

Firestone Service is pretty darn good. If you negotiate with them on the tires (not difficult) you can get your alignment there too. Good wrok and great tires at a decent price. Look for their coupons too, esp on the alignment. Maybe they have some G-009s on closeout???

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Firestone Service is pretty darn good. If you negotiate with them on the tires (not difficult) you can get your alignment there too. Good wrok and great tires at a decent price. Look for their coupons too, esp on the alignment. Maybe they have some G-009s on closeout???

This is what I was thinking, too. Tire stores run all sorts of promotions and incentives, some for customers and some for their personnel only. Things like, "sell 10 alignments this week and get a $50 gift card" is a big incentive for the store manager to cut you a deal on their services.

Independent tire stores buy from tire distributors and they run dealer-only specials all the time. Maybe there's a promotion on tires his size happening right now. Only way to find out is to visit the stores and talk to the manager to see what kind of deal he can cut you.

hey are you guys sure they match online prices? I only went to one discount tires and he said they don't match online prices. he was trying to rip me off anyways, falkens for $103 LOL. he was pretty retarded too, i asked about the G019 and Yokohama and he said he never heard of those.(burbank sucks!) I'll try other stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back