Need new push mower...

Status
Not open for further replies.

crw

Here is my situation: I have a large yard, and I have a riding mower and a push mower. My push mower is 23 years old and will not start anymore. I can use the rider to do the entire yard, but I like to have a push mower for certain situations.

- Budget: $250 to $400

- I like the front wheels to be self-propelled, so that I can lift them off the ground to briefly stop the propulsion.

- I also really like oversize rear wheels.

What are your recommendations?

Get a self propelled. Almost any push only mower will be low end.

I have a Kohler engine on my Airens and its fine.

My choices would be JD, Airens or Husqvarna.

Last edited:
A little FYI, the one that lasted 23 years was a Briggs/Craftsman. The Craftsman that I had before that I started using when I was 12, and it also lasted 20+ years. Despite this, I'm curious to give the Honda a try. Right now I see a Honda engined Husqvarna online that looks good.

I love my Honda HRZ216TDA. It is no longer made, but if it was stolen tomorrow, I'd replace it with another Honda.

Aside from wear items like new blades, plugs, air filters, oil, and wheels, I had to put a transmission in it ($110) after seven years. The motor still runs great and starts on the first pull.

When the trans died last year, I considered getting a new mower. But, one thing I *love* about my current mower is the front caster wheels. Those are not very common, and the engine still ran like new, so it made sense to replace it.

The transmission case cracked on mine and the individual trans parts are not available, so I had to replace the whole unit.

Sears has a craftsman with a honda motor made by husqvarna .I bought mine 3 years ago in clearance for 199 and very happy with it.Big back wheels and front drive.I did buy it in october end of the season floor sample sale and in stock sale.

Originally Posted By: mitsuman47
Check craigslist for a good used commercial or "pro-sumer" model. Never know what you might find...

+1 on Craigslist. I got this John Deere for $75.

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Sears has a craftsman with a honda motor made by husqvarna .I bought mine 3 years ago in clearance for 199 and very happy with it.Big back wheels and front drive.I did buy it in october end of the season floor sample sale and in stock sale.

Some of the Sears mowers are made by MTD and other by Husqvarna. The first 3 digits of the model number will tell you.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Check craigslist for a good used commercial or "pro-sumer" model. Never know what you might find...

Exactly. I got my hrx from a guy on craigslist who didn't know why it wouldn't run well. "When I used it 3 years ago, it ran perfect", he told me.

Oil change, new blades, $20 for a new carb, and I still have <$300 in it.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Nice mower, great deal!!

I did not see any Honda engines at Sears, but there are B&S made in USA engines.

The model numbers that start with 917 are made by Husqvarna the others are made by MTD.

Exactly. I got my hrx from a guy on craigslist who didn't know why it wouldn't run well. "When I used it 3 years ago, it ran perfect", he told me.

Oil change, new blades, $20 for a new carb, and I still have div>

Wow, that's a killer deal.

+1 on Craigslist.

My walk behind mower is a 2007 Toro 22" recycler. It has a 6.5HP Briggs engine, front drive, and the taller back wheels. This mower is my favorite and has been trouble free since we bought it new. It always starts first pull. The only thing I've done to it are oil changes, replaced the blade once, and replaced the front wheels. The front wheels I replaced only because the tread on them was wearing down from so much use.

The mower is a pleasure to use, and sometimes I'll do the front yard with the walk behind and the back yard with the rider just for the exercise. You can't go wrong with a Briggs powered Toro.
thumbsup2.gif

I have 2 Toro's and definitely a step from the Craftsman I had. It is just more robust. The deck is more solid (does not rust like the Craftsman did) and the blades stayed sharper longer. I have the Personal Pace ones and it works fine. They both start on first or second pull. I also need new drive wheels. I have rear drive.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3213014/1

Check out my craigslist score post from several months ago. Front drivers use low quality transmissions and plastic wheels - avoid them if possible. Look for an aluminum deck toro or a snapper ninja/high vac. They are 30 year mowers with regular maintenance.

If it has a Kohler engine, avoid it like the plague. I would also avoid the regular Toro Recyclers (steel deck). I've worked on several last year and they were just junk. The aluminum deck toro mowers are 10x the quality.

The older craftsman mowers were ok, the newer ones last 5 years. The quality has dropped so far it's embarrassing .

Oh forgot to add, avoid Tecumseh engines too. Low power garbage. Plus they went out of business 6-7 years ago and parts are getting hard to find.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3213014/1

Check out my craigslist score post from several months ago. Front drivers use low quality transmissions and plastic wheels - avoid them if possible. Look for an aluminum deck toro or a snapper ninja/high vac. They are 30 year mowers with regular maintenance.

If it has a Kohler engine, avoid it like the plague. I would also avoid the regular Toro Recyclers (steel deck). I've worked on several last year and they were just junk. The aluminum deck toro mowers are 10x the quality.

The older craftsman mowers were ok, the newer ones last 5 years. The quality has dropped so far it's embarrassing .

I agree and would also add to that an older Honda with an aluminum deck which should have a commercial series, ohv engine instead of the newer overhead cam engines, or an older John Deere with the aluminum deck and Kawasaki engine. I'm partial to the older snappers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back