Need high detergent oil for lifter noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the suggestions; I'm overwhelmed. In fact more confused than before the post.

One interesting thing, if the car sits for a few days on start up, the knocking will not start for 5-8 seconds. If it sits over night it knocks right away. I think I will try the CD-2 if I can find it, and later some M1 10w30 HN. (I have it in the basement)

I couldn't find CD-2 so I putin some Gunk engine flush. It smells just like Diesel fuel, which I expect it is. I ran it for 6 min, then drained the oil. No change. I re-filled with 4L of GC 0W30. She has been running this for a week, and the noise is about 40% less. I hope it contiues to improve, and I will report back if it goes away.

Try Chevron Delo 400 15w-40. This oil has some amazing cleansing qualities! Also add some 2 cycle Marine oil to your fuel. MAKE SURE IT IS AN ASHLESS VERSION! Buy the Walmart 2 Cycle TCW-3 ASHLESS MARINE OIL IN THE BLUE GALLON JUG.

Go get yourself a new cheap Napa Silver oil filter and use the Amsoil engine flush for 20-25 minutes and then change to a decent oil filter and drop in some HDEO 30 grade oil (Delo, Rotella, Kendall, Amsoil...etc.). The Amsoil engine flush is loaded with detergents and really gets stuff worked out of the system...it's like $5 a can or something. I just put some of the engine flush I had left over in a buddies car (he had a knocking buick 3.8) a few weeks ago and his tick/knock (definitely valvetrain) went away while the flush circulated. So far no return. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: gulfstream
Also add some 2 cycle Marine oil to your fuel. MAKE SURE IT IS AN ASHLESS VERSION! Buy the Walmart 2 Cycle TCW-3 ASHLESS MARINE OIL IN THE BLUE GALLON JUG.

I think the white jug Super Tech Marine is better stuff.

I am a bit curious about the 2-stroke oil. What is this expected to do, as it will be burned up in the combustion chamber? Also, how much would I use, 50:1 or 100:1?

How about the O2 sensor and the cat with this oil in the fuel

500:1 to 640:1 are the more common ratios. Some do 1000:1

It helps to lubricate everything from the fuel pump to the injectors, and even the intake valves and pistons. Less friction is more better. Many people have reported slight fuel economy increases as well.

It also has some cleaning ability. If your fuel system is clean (after running Gumout Regane, Redline SI-1, Chevron Techron) it will help keep it clean. It may even have some gas stabilizing properties to keep gas from going bad during storage, and it will help prevent rust in the fuel system.

Don't exceed 400:1, vehicles usually start losing performance rapidly if they go higher.

I believe these engines have intake manifold leaking problems. You might want to insure that you are not seeping antifreeze into your oil. I had the exact same problem and it was the intake manifold gasket. i could not tell it at all by looking at the oil and did not notice anything out of the ordinary untill my lifter started sticking. I ran some MMO and new oil and it fixed the lifter for about 1000 miles and there it was again. There was a good bit of sludge build up in the engine, how i didnt see it by lookng at the oil, i dont know. Anyway, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back