Need help on changing intervals

quote:
Originally posted by BobBartlett: After I am done with that what should be my standard change intervals? It will get less than 7,000 miles a year and I live in Northern Maine so it gets very cold in the winter.
Oh heck, I'll go with Mobil 1 5w30 1 year oil change with a filter change at 6 months. For both vehicles. I'd do my change in the spring after the winter is over.

Because of the very cold climate and short trips and annual mileage I also would go with as a minimum 5W30. I live in VA and in one car I use a 0W30 year round. Definitely synthetic as well for the cold starts in Maine. As to how often, well, first year I would do analysis at 6 months and see, if okay you may be able to go a year on on change even with the low mileage, defintely 6 months the first itme though. [ July 09, 2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Spector ]

I just found this site the other day and have been pouring over the posts and have learned alot. I just purchased a 2000 Toyota Sienna and bought some auto rx to make sure I don't have any sludge in it. After I am done with that what should be my standard change intervals? It will get less than 7,000 miles a year and I live in Northern Maine so it gets very cold in the winter. I plan on using mobil 1. Should I go with 5w or 10w and should I change it at a specific mileage mark or time period? I also have a 98 honda civic with 74,000 on it. It gets short drives 10 miles or less one way and since we moved only about 6,000 miles a year. What change intervals do you recommend for this?

Patman

Staff member
In both cases, I would recommend doing two oil changes a year, one right before winter starts and one after the cold weather goes away in the spring.