need help choosing small concealed carry pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Back sort of on topic, the new popularity of what was a BUG gun for primary carry is kind of unfortunate. The mouse guns have less capacity, are by design less accurate and are harder to shoot well. We give up some of what we carry a defensive pistol for in the name of convenience.

Yeah, we say it's a close-in pistol, blah blah but if it's the only weapon you have available it may not be. Can you get good hits fast at 7 or 10 yards? What if you have to?

One of the guys was at a course where they were looking at the 21 foot rule for a knife threat so we did some different drills. One guy would stand 21 feet away on the shooter's off side and would charge the shooter and pass behind him, the shooter had to draw and fire at a target 5 feet in front of him. Guess what, from a belt holster you're going to get cut as you fire your first shot, from a pocket holster forget it. Believe what you want but try it. What we learned was if there's a knife threat within 30 feet and you have a pistol draw it now. If you carry in a pocket holster practice the draw a lot.

Rule #1 = have a gun

Small guns get carried more than larger guns, for the majority of people. Its better to have a j-frame every day than a Glock 19 two days a week.

Like I said earlier, I am a big guy. I cannot carry inside the waistband with a full-size duty pistol. Well technically I can, but everyone knows exactly what it is, with it sticking out so far, and that negates the idea of concealed carry. So pocket carry works for me. I have large pockets. So I can and do carry a Glock 26 with 26 rounds of ammo on me when I feel like it. Most days, its a j-frame or a Glock 43 9MM. I'm pretty aware of my surroundings, head on a swivel, and I like to think I would prevail in most encounters.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Are you comfortable with the soft-sided felt holsters commonly sold for these types of guns?

When I pocket carry my PPK, it's in a soft holster - this doesn't bother me because the double action trigger pull is so stiff, I just can't see an unintentional discharge happening.

When I carry the LCR, it's in a DeSantis pocket holster that is not hard, but not soft either. I have a similar one for when I carry one of the small Beretta's.

Second, I carry in a belt holster and sometimes an IWB holster, under a loose shirt, every day .....

That's terrific for you, but some of us are professional people, dress accordingly, and don't wear loose shirts, and might want to take the suit or sport coat off when it's 100+ and 90% humidity ....

Originally Posted By: Win
....Second, I carry in a belt holster and sometimes an IWB holster, under a loose shirt, every day .....

That's terrific for you, but some of us are professional people, dress accordingly, and don't wear loose shirts, and might want to take the suit or sport coat off when it's 100+ and 90% humidity ....

I am no longer a professional (retired) I plain and simple can't/won't carry anything except a pocket pistol in Summer/warm weather.

When I carry the LCR, it's in a DeSantis pocket holster that is not hard, but not soft either. I have a similar one for when I carry one of the small Beretta's.

I also have a DeSantis that is probably the same material. Technically, it's probably a "soft" holster, but it's more akin to a flexible plastic (coated with sticky rubber nubs) than it is to leather or cloth.

Second, I carry in a belt holster and sometimes an IWB holster, under a loose shirt, every day .....

Tuckable IWBs have been around for years. They were invented for you.

Bubbatime, going back a couple pages, you were going to tell us what activities on a normal day cause a holstered pistol to sweep people? Really interested to know what you're experience with this is.

Tuckable holsters are not a great option. Such a pain, and they conceal poorly. I'd wear seersucker suits before fooling with such things again.

Take a look at the SCCY CPX-2. I picked one up for just over $200.00 and use it for both open carry and concealed. 15 ounces and under 6" long it slips right in the outer pocket of my cargo shorts. Its DAO 8+ pound long trigger pull make it nearly impossible to accidently discharge, that plus I never keep a round chambered.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Take a look at the SCCY CPX-2. I picked one up for just over $200.00 and use it for both open carry and concealed. 15 ounces and under 6" long it slips right in the outer pocket of my cargo shorts. Its DAO 8+ pound long trigger pull make it nearly impossible to accidently discharge, that plus I never keep a round chambered.

Pretty decent. Seems to have a very good rating. I personally wouldn't buy it. I tend to stick with the major brands...mainly bc of service. May not be an issue here. And for 200..its really a disposable firearm.

The SCCY's are interesting but that trigger is so awful I didn't buy one. But I am an admitted trigger snob.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The SCCY's are interesting but that trigger is so awful I didn't buy one. But I am an admitted trigger snob.

Agree, the trigger/action is the only complaint I have but I only shoot a few times a year, mainly plink when I'm out in the boondocks of Arizona, so it doesn't bother me much. A Glock it's not but a great lightweight dependable defense weapon for sure.

Originally Posted By: Al
Pretty decent. Seems to have a very good rating. I personally wouldn't buy it. I tend to stick with the major brands...mainly bc of service. May not be an issue here. And for 200..its really a disposable firearm.

The lifetime warranty makes it far from disposable. The reports I've heard from owners who had issues regarding service have been fantastic.

Last edited:
When I used to carry, it was Walther PPK -- small and nimble. I pocket carried it.

I've stopped carrying it as it has become obvious that the law enforcement do not like people who have a carry permit -- my chances of getting whacked by a cop during a traffic stop are probably higher than being jumped by a criminal.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I've stopped carrying it as it has become obvious that the law enforcement do not like people who have a carry permit.

If true, this must be a regional thing. I know a lot of LEOs, and all of them are incredibly supportive of legal carry. From their perspective, it makes their jobs easier. In fact, the concealed carry class I took in NC was taught by a county Sheriff's Deputy who owns a gun store and teaches carry classes on the weekends.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I've stopped carrying it as it has become obvious that the law enforcement do not like people who have a carry permit.

If true, this must be a regional thing. I know a lot of LEOs, and all of them are incredibly supportive of legal carry. From their perspective, it makes their jobs easier. In fact, the concealed carry class I took in NC was taught by a county Sheriff's Deputy who owns a gun store and teaches carry classes on the weekends.

+1.

I've had only positive LEO interactions since getting my VA concealed carry. It's tied to my DL, which is linked to my vehicle registration, so any cop that pulls me over knows, before he walks up to the car, that I have it.

And it's all been good.

But then, as one Massachussets State Cop put it, when comparing various state firearm regulations over lunch in Boston Logan airport, I live in America...

When I used to carry, it was Walther PPK -- small and nimble. I pocket carried it.

I've stopped carrying it as it has become obvious that the law enforcement do not like people who have a carry permit -- my chances of getting whacked by a cop during a traffic stop are probably higher than being jumped by a criminal.

I call total [censored]

When did you start carrying?
How would the police know you were carrying? You aren't required to tell them unless they ask

Originally Posted By: Al

I call total [censored]

When did you start carrying?
How would the police know you were carrying? You aren't required to tell them unless they ask

In my state i am required to inform any law enforcement officer i have contact with. whether they ask or not.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

In my state i am required to inform any law enforcement officer i have contact with. whether they ask or not.

Overwhelming number of states don't require it including Illinois. Not required inPa. Don't ask..don't tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back