need help choosing small concealed carry pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
informing police you are carrying is not required BY LAW in many places. End of story. If people following the law makes you uncomfortable, scared, offended, or any other odd sensation you shouldn't be a guy trying to deal with the public with a job enforcing laws.

My "HAT"
lol.gif
is off to hatt. Like arguing with this keyboard in front of me. Except the keyboard never professes to always be right. And as far as using "common sense" and go "beyond"what the Law requires.....I will follow the Law, Thank You very much.
cheers3.gif

Sorry. Following the local laws in your area doesn't give someone a "ballsy" attitude. I suppose if you refuse to allow a warrantless search you're also sporting an attitude.

Sorry. Following the local laws in your area doesn't give someone a "ballsy" attitude. I suppose if you refuse to allow a warrantless search you're also sporting an attitude.

Stop whining and answer the question. How would you have faired any differently than me or anyone else? Or the guy in the video under the same circumstances, with your attitude? Ballsy or otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The SCCY's are interesting but that trigger is so awful I didn't buy one. But I am an admitted trigger snob.

Small and light 9mm guns are not intended for shooting hundreds of rounds at the range - they are for up close and personal self defense. At such a close range the trigger is not an issue. I find the trigger pull on the CPX-2 to be very smooth, and I prefer a DAO with no safety for carry. The other nice thing about the SCCY is the high capacity, 10+1, for a such a light gun. Very comfortable to carry in a belt paddle holster or a coat pocket. For pants pocket carry I like the .380 Ruger LCP Custom.

I think most don't like the long trigger pull combined with the long reset. I can see where this could be a problem for a ham-fisted shooter or someone with small hands with short fingers. My favorite thing about shooting the SCCY over larger 9s is the snappy kick it has.

When I tried it the trigger pull was looooonnnnngggggg, very heavy, with a long reset. The edges of the trigger weren't rounded off either. I was disappointed I was all ramped up to buy one at the time.

I've yet to find a trigger I like as well as a good single action auto, crisp short travel and usually on the lighter side.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Small and light 9mm guns are not intended for shooting hundreds of rounds at the range - they are for up close and personal self defense. At such a close range the trigger is not an issue. I find the trigger pull on the CPX-2 to be very smooth, and I prefer a DAO with no safety for carry. The other nice thing about the SCCY is the high capacity, 10+1, for a such a light gun. Very comfortable to carry in a belt paddle holster or a coat pocket. For pants pocket carry I like the .380 Ruger LCP Custom.

Agree amd disagree. Granted they are intended for personal defence. But at the same time they can be range guns.

My Shield, G43, and LP9s serve double duty. But the LP9s has a fabulous trigger and as a result I am more accurate than the 43 or Shield (for me). At 25 feet I can put 9 out of j12 shots in the 3 inch circle. With the Shield maybe 6.

Obviously the LPC is not a range gun. At 25 feet I have trouble putting 3 out of 12 in the circle. I* put 600 rounds through it to prove its reliability. Its my carry gun in summer.

Last edited:
Cute. Now a real stop in a duty to inform state. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011/07/...g-traffic-stop/

Cop doesn't know how to do his job. What if the people in that car were criminals with guns, let alone a legal carry permit citizen. Those cops were pretty lackadaisical about the whole stop. Guess the driver should have just shouted out he was a legal permitted carrier even though the cops told him to not speak. Then much into the stop when he finds out the driver is a legal licensed carrier he goes totally nuts - unprofessional IMO. Guess what, criminals with illegal guns don't have to tell you they are carrying, but good guys do. Seems backwards to me.

I really wanted to like the SCCY pistols because of the owners good attitude towards quality but watch the Hickok45 review where he had repeated light primer strikes on some ammo. Luckily it has second strike capabilities iirc.

I really like my shield 9mm, the trigger is almost perfect for a defensive pistol, it's very crisp about 6 lbs with somewhat short reset

Originally Posted By: BeerCan
I have a concealed carry permit in my state and I am finding myself in the position where I am going to have to carry a couple of times.
Problem is I live in FL, it is to dang hot and I am always in shorts and a t-shirt. My current pistols are way to big for this situation and I need an alternative. Small and reliable, cost is not an issue but I am not looking for anything fancy. Current pistols for reference are Sig P228 and a M&P 40.

Thx
I am quite pleased with my Kahr CW380. The major detractor with the pocket rockets is the amount of effort required to rack the slide. In a high stress situation if your hands perspire, racking the slide could be even more difficult. Compact semi-autos require a firm grip so as to not interfere with the movement of the slide. A loose grip may increase the number of jams. I also carry a M&P Shield in 9MM. I like the Shield so much that I sold my Glock 22, and bought a M&P 40C double stack 40.

Originally Posted By: Gillsy
The major detractor with the pocket rockets is the amount of effort required to rack the slide. In a high stress situation if your hands perspire, racking the slide could be even more difficult. Compact semi-autos require a firm grip so as to not interfere with the movement of the slide. A loose grip may increase the number of jams. I also carry a M&P Shield in 9MM.

Many women would be hard pressed to rack the LCP. I do not recall one jam in 600 rounds on my LPC. The Shield is extremely reliable IMHO.

I have a CW380 as well and it's a fine gun no doubt, but not a good candidate for those with weaker hands. A Sig P238 would rack easier I believe.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan
I have a concealed carry permit in my state and I am finding myself in the position where I am going to have to carry a couple of times.
Problem is I live in FL, it is to dang hot and I am always in shorts and a t-shirt. My current pistols are way to big for this situation and I need an alternative. Small and reliable, cost is not an issue but I am not looking for anything fancy. Current pistols for reference are Sig P228 and a M&P 40.

Thx

Lots of great options out there for shorts and a t shirt.

In the 380 platform, the S&W Bodyguard is a reliable firearm. Only caveat is the trigger. Long double action pull, can be mastered with a couple weeks of practice.

Sig Sauer P238, 1911 style pistol, a cold mechanical trigger but crisp and accurate for a 2" barrel. Night Sights and plenty of finish options.

Glock 42, the biggest in size of the afforementioned 3, but easily my favorite. Everything about this gun is great from the ergonomics to the accuracy to the trigger.

The Ruger LCP is now improved with a shorter trigger, and while still double action has a much lighter and crisper pull than the older models. A reasonably accurate gun, but with low profile sights (too low for me), and no slide release.

9mm options, I'd put the Shield and the Glock 43 neck and neck, except for the fact that I've had more experience with various Glock 43's shooting dead aim while Shields consistently shoot to the left or right depending on the dexterity of the shooter.

The Springfield XD-S is also a good platform, the heaviest of all, I have one in .45 and while not as POA accurate as my 1911, it's "combat accurate" and more than suitable for defensive scenarios.

All of the guns in this post are reliable and are decent choices for your purposes.

Tiny revolvers are more reliable than tiny autos. I have large hands making the problem even worst. Five for sure. Being able to fire from the pocket is another potential advantage.

In theory. I'm so sick of hearing this mantra "five for sure or seven maybe".

I torture test all of my pocket semi auto pistols, including a test I've fired 50 consecutive rounds, mag drops, not stopping, not a single failure. And in many of them, I have not HAD a single failure (in several hundred, some in the thousands of rounds).

BUT, I have had a revolver lock up. Throw it and run.

I've had several revolvers, sold them all. They're useful, but not infallible. Today's semi-autos are much more reliable than the semis of yesteryear. Wish we could move on from this.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Revolvers can have non chambered ammo jump the crimp, not something I'd want to deal with. If that happens the cylinder won't turn.

"Non chambered ammo" ???

50 round torture test. LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

+1

Like a 50 foot road test...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Revolvers can have non chambered ammo jump the crimp, not something I'd want to deal with. If that happens the cylinder won't turn.
Anything can happen. However I don't think the odds are very good if we're talking about premium defense ammo. I shoot lightly crimped handloads and have never seen the problem. I have zero worries the Gold Dots are going to have an issue.

OT. Yesterday at the range I fired five .38 135 Gold Dots that accidentally went through the washer and dryer on a speed strip. Fired normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back