Need help choosing non honda autinatic transmission fluid. 1998 crv

Hey guys i shipped my crv to greece a few years ago. Time to change transmission fluid. Problem is tbe honda dealers are 6 hours away and when i called them they said just use something that is honda ATF Z1 approved. In my town a local mechanic says i might wanna use Liqui Moly top tech 11/111 1200 . He said he ran my cars VIN number and its honda ATF z1 approved. Anyone know about this fluid ?? My crv has 124 thousand miles on it

I will ask about the maxlife....the fluid the mechanic was telling me about he said it matches my crvs VIN number. Iam tempted to go ahead and put the Liqui Moly top tech 11/111 1200 tomorrow. I usually keep up with checking and changing the fluids . I also wanted to know whats so magical about the honda brand ATF.

The Liqi Moly product is not Honda approved, for one thing the ATF Z-1 has been supeceded by DW-1. But beyond that only Honda branded ATF DW-1 has Honda approval since like most Asian automakers they do not license their ATF.

Having said that I use Maxlife in my old Accord with no problems and it’s been well over 150,000 miles that I’ve used it.

The Liqi Moly product is not Honda approved, for one thing the ATF Z-1 has been supeceded by DW-1. But beyond that only Honda branded ATF DW-1 has Honda approval since like most Asian automakers they do not license their ATF.

Having said that I use Maxlife in my old Accord with no problems and it’s been well over 150,000 miles that I’ve used it.
I will definately ask about maxlife

Thanks guys i will ask the mechanics here to order me the maxlife that matches my cars tranny.

Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent is my favorite. Maxlife works well; it is a full synthetic while Z1 was not.
Your CR-V will thank you. Do a couple spill and fills.

Ok, this will break bitog. My ex’s 97 CRV had a flawless transmission and I followed the recommendations and did 2 drain/fills with maxlife. In 6 months it wouldn’t get out of 2nd gear unless the engine was at least 4500 rpm or higher and then it would slam into third. I did 3 drain fills back to z1 and it helped settle it down but never really ran right after that. I may be the only guy on bitog who’s had a bad maxlife experience. I’ve worked on a bunch of Honda’s and pretty much use oem or amsoil.
m

Try Shell Spirax if available there. That's what I used in the early years of my 1998 crv, no problems. Later I used Mobil1 ATF, sometimes Castrol MultiVehicle. Again, no problems.

Ok, this will break bitog. My ex’s 97 CRV had a flawless transmission and I followed the recommendations and did 2 drain/fills with maxlife. In 6 months it wouldn’t get out of 2nd gear unless the engine was at least 4500 rpm or higher and then it would slam into third. I did 3 drain fills back to z1 and it helped settle it down but never really ran right after that. I may be the only guy on bitog who’s had a bad maxlife experience. I’ve worked on a bunch of Honda’s and pretty much use oem or amsoil.
m
That sounds like an electrical or control issue to me..

Also writing from Greece, I have the same CR-V (automatic). I would urge you to use the fluid from Honda (ATF DW-1), because the automatic transmissions by the specific automaker are somewhat particular. Plenty of threads on this topic.

I was fortunate to find DW-1 at my city but, if you still have difficulty sourcing it, I can point you to a seller of OEM Honda fluids, where I got Honda power steering fluid from; he also stocks Honda DW-1. It was a business called Japan Spare Center, based in Athens, but also selling online, with delivery by courier. I paid 5 euros for posting fees and the item was delivered to me a few days later, in Northern Greece. The power steering fluid I received was good, so I expect the same for your ATF DW-1, should you decide to order from the same place.

Also writing from Greece, I have the same CR-V (automatic). I would urge you to use the fluid from Honda (ATF DW-1), because the automatic transmissions by the specific automaker are somewhat particular. Plenty of threads on this topic.

I was fortunate to find DW-1 at my city but, if you still have difficulty sourcing it, I can point you to a seller of OEM Honda fluids, where I got Honda power steering fluid from; he also stocks Honda DW-1. It was a business called Japan Spare Center, based in Athens, but also selling online, with delivery by courier. I paid 5 euros for posting fees and the item was delivered to me a few days later, in Northern Greece. The power steering fluid I received was good, so I expect the same for your ATF DW-1, should you decide to order from the same place.
Thanks for the advice, i have another problem now, the key got stuck in the ignition and the locksmith has my car for 3 days now looking to find wafers to rebuild my lock. Waiting for him to call me tomorrow to see whats gonna happen

Hello again, can i ask you since we have the same crv, do people in greece ask you why your gear shifter is near the steering wheel ? Everyone here in Igoumenitsa keep asking me why my gear shifter is bear the steering wheel. They act like they never seen that before. Another thing i wanted to ask you, do you find your 98 crv to burn alot of gas in the city ?

Back