2005 Honda crv transmission fluid change

Always loved Hondus for their ease of transmission fluid changes. Engine oil changes not always so much, but the ATs got a (y)(y)

Somewhat agreed . . . not so much for late model AT s with 9 or 10 speed. Most automakers are making ATF changes harder to DIY. I hate going under the vehicle, but I don't really want to raise the vehicle on all 4 corners.

as in YouTube video below
I cringed watching him put on 3 new crush washers between those drain and refills. Yeah, I'm cheap, errrr, cost-conscious like that ! I do replace the drain washers but I would re-use them in this case until the final refill.

I cringed watching him put on 3 new crush washers between those drain and refills. Yeah, I'm cheap, errrr, cost-conscious like that ! I do replace the drain washers but I would re-use them in this case until the final refill.

Agreed, no need to . . . replace with new one after the 3rd fill. I have generic Dorman washers in many difference sizes.

I bought a 10 (??) pack off of Amazon for a few bucks. When I bought my DW-1, I asked the parts guy about the washers and told me before he went to grab them, "I don't know why, but those are over $3 a piece" and told him not to worry about them ! He wasn't offended at all and even pointed out the oil drain washers are less then 50c by themselves or they come free with a filter.

. . . . oil drain washers are less then 50c by themselves or they come free with a filter.

Oil/ATF washers can be had much cheaper, been using all those Dorman washers for long time, never had any problem. Aluminum washers seal better than copper ones, but both can be used without any issue.

Honda/Acura has been using two (AFAIK) different type of filters on their AT since when? As early as 2003 Element or Acura 3.2TL had inline ATF filters, some Accords and Acura TLs (including my 2006 TL) have somewhat difficult to service filters.

Honda's service manual describes them as non-serviceable items, and most dealers never serviced them although they regularly stock both filters. Here are the two different type of filters from my 2006 TL and 2015 MDX. The inline filter was for the MDX which I found them used in 2003 Acura 3.2TL and some Pilots and Odisseys. These are located under battery tray area.

View attachment 58046
View attachment 58045

I did the filter once........what a PITA to reach.
My 2005 made it 284k on 30k ATF changes, and then the clutch packs started to grenade unfortunately. Just time and mileage I guess.

Back