need help about an accident..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Group members, I need a favor from you. Today morning I was involved in an accident. I was going at the very left lane of the road with my 92 sentra, a pathfinder from the second left lane tried to turn to the left street and I hit the car. The police came after 30 minutes and wrote a report and gave a ticket to the pathfinder driver. Also they gave me a report number to pick it up 5-7 business days. I have a liability from statefarm and the other driver (he was in the atlanta just for today he was from alabama) has travelers insurance. They gave us a court date and told to go there. I need help, what should I do at this point, went to statefarm(my insurance) they said if the police gave a ticket to the other driver, I am innocent and I should contact the other person's insurance after I got the report(they were very rude to me, I will switch insurance when this expires). What should I do, The accident was the other driver fault. I am sad because my wife cried because of the accident (she was at the side that we hit the pathfinder)and she is not feeling very well now. We didnt deserve all this.

Well....if your wife isn't hurt, just scared, give it time. You live in Atlanta, one of the worse places to try and be accident free. It's going to happen. It's happen to probably 90% of the folks on this board. Statefarm is probably going to be a butthead about this since the hurricanes. 85% of all insured folks in the path of those hurricanes were either statefarm or allstate.
I am curious about the court date. Don't know why you need to be there if you weren't cited. However, get the traffic report and then call/send it to his insurance and tell them you want the car fixed. I'd go to the dealer and get a damage estimate now so you'll be ready to go when they finally come around. You may have to be persistant, but remember, it wasn't your fault and they should fix it.

Schomoe;

Thanks for the relieveing reply, my wife is not hurt at all, just pysicological (thanks ***..) I was not cited, however the police told me to appear in the court and tell the whole story to judge when asked. Have you ever heard about traveler's insurance? Hope it is not a small and tricky one. I have a body shop close to my home, do you think should I get a estimate from them, or do you think I can only have my car fixed from a body shop that they approve or any shop I choose. thanks again

Travelers is a large, well known company, not some fly-by-night operation, if that's what you're afraid of. Whether or not you can use a body shop of your choosing depends on the other driver's insurance policy. You'll have to ask when you call Travelers.

Thanks Matt, actually that was what I was afraid of. I will call travelers and ask baout that..thanks again

Z,

Yes, it sounds like the bozo drive is the cause, not you.

You are being called on as a witness to testify for the prosecution (City of Atlanta) against the guy that hit you. If he is found guilty, this will sway more or all fault into his lap. If you don't go to court, the City has no case and this idiot drive will probably have the charge/infraction dropped. This may cause trouble trying to get insurance to settle the case in your favor. Obviously, the idiot driver does not want you in court that day. Also, you might want to jot down the facts in the case so you don't forget any details.

I don't know about those states, but in Indiana, the insurance companies could settle this before court. Don't let a good settlement keep you from going to court. If you skip court, you could be held in contempt and an arrest warrant issued.

Please don't consider this legal advice. It is just a general FYI. If you start having troubles, do not hesitate consulting some lawyers if you need real legal assistance.

Was that a claims adjuster that was rude to you or your statefarm agent? If it was an adjuster you should call the agent and give him **** for the lack of customer service. Just because you were insured for liability only, and not collision, is no reason for them to take that attitude. You didn't indicate how much damage was done to your car, but since its a '92 Sentra be prepared for the other insurance company to junk your car if the body work required is more than the value of your car.

Procedures and law vary from state to state.

I would ask your insurance agent about your state's requrements/procedures/etc.

Do you need three body shop estimates? Is one enuff?

Can the other guy's insurance dictate to you what shop you must use or is it your choice?

I would get 2 estimates from dealerships and present it to the udder dude's insurance and ask for a check, along with rental car cost if needed.

Look up the retail value of your vehicle on-line. NADA has a site. If the vehicle's value is less than the repair cost I would ask for retail value.

Try the nice guy approach and see what the insurance firm does. Ensure there are absolutely no physical injuries to you or the udder passenger. If you are absolutely sure there are no physical injuries.... don't mention that to the other driver's insurance scum. If they balk when you discuss retribution for your vehicle's damage you could do the old.... "Well, it appears the only damage is to the car but maybe my passenger and I should get complete check-ups just to be sure.......since you appear to want to drag this affair out anyway."

As already mentioned, variatures from locale to locale so become informed.

O.K now I am more informed, first of all, my neck started to ack 2 hours after the accident and just in case I went to a doctor and he send me to have X-ray taken. I have it taken and he told me that it is not very serious only a spasm but will have another doctor look at the X-rays and give me a call if the other doctor says it is important.

Ediamiam, as you say the problem now is I dont want to have my car thrown into trash because of this accident. I learned that if the estimate exceeds 70% percent of my cars value, they will simply give that amount to me.. I hate it, what car can I buy with $1000? We have owned this car since brand new and I was taking good care of it..

Willy, dont worry I will try to do most harm to the guy as possible(not moneywise) because he was telling to the police an imaginary truck parked half block behind (complete lie) that's why he was not at the left lane and he told he still does not understand how I was at that lane!!and told I was going fast, I will do most of the harm possible to that guy.

I will get an estimate from 2 body shops as they dont charge money for estimate. By the way, Oppob is it possible to tell the insurance company about my neck hurt and get some extra money and donate it to childrens fund in atlanta. Will this increase the other guys premium more for the next year or it does not matter? I am not a rich guy as I am doing my PhD and my wife doing Master's. We are living without any help from our parents and rest assured that I will not get money about neck and use it. In my opinion, I can lie to you, him or whoever but we cannot trick the guy up there...

Thanks

It appears that Traveler's insurance does not have claims centers and you have to work with an agent to process your claim. It might be best to contact the individual's agent in Alabama, to determine Traveler's operating procedure as to how many estimates are required, or whether Traveler's wants a claims adjuster to look at the car. If Traveler's determines that their insured is at fault (and the ticket is strong evidence that he is), they can go ahead and authorize repairs or make an offer to total your car.

Depending on the extent of the damage, you may also choose to buy back the car and get it repaired at your own expense. It will then be marked as being a car with a salvaged title. I am not sure that is the wisest option, but it may a better option than trying to find a quality used car for $1000 or so. Going ahead and getting two estimates is a good idea, because it tells you what the estimated cost of repairs will be, compared to the market value of your car.

Your medical expenses directly associated with the car wreck should be covered under medical payments. This covers direct medical costs you have incurred. Keep your doctor receipts, etc, so you can show what costs were incurred.

By all means discuss the rudeness you encountered with your State Farm agent, whether the person was his employee or an other State Farm employee. The State Farm agent needs to know how people are getting treated, and can either correct or provide some leverage to get it stopped.

Jayhawkroy, really helpful info thank you..About the statefarm, when the accident happened I contacted my statefarm agent(the secretary)she told me whose fault is it, I said the others, she said JUST exchange the information and get their insurance policy number contact the other guys insurance. TOTOLLY wrong, what happens if the guy denies the accident as me not having a police report if I JUST exchanged info. Anyways, I called the police and after they left the scene, I went personally to their office and talk with a lady (I am not sure it is the same lady or not, there were several women working there) I had the case ID to give them as directed by the Atlanta PD. She said I only have liability(100k/300k/100k) and uninsured vehicle(100/300/100) and as the other guy has the insurance she said she cannot help me and I have to contact them. I asked her what should I do get an estimate or something. She very rudely told me "Look, we even will access the police report two days after you have access to it so I cannot do anything, have a nice day" I dint bother shouting at her face or something just left. That's the experience that I have with STATEFARM...

The case number and name of the officer at the accident scene is what you need. Call the other guy's insurance, the number should be on his card or you can look it up online. Give them the report number, accident details, and say you'll start a claim.

If the police report indicates the other guy is not at fault, believe me Travellers will call you that same day and say they won't pay. Otherwise they will offer you something.

I hope you and your wife are feeling better.
If your car is unusually well-maintained and you have the records to prove it, you may be able to get slightly more than retail value.
I find it odd that your own insurance company won't help you deal with Traveler's. I'm pretty sure AllState would.

Tosh, thank you, but my neck is not good, it is even worse than yesterday but I am still alive:) my wife is very well now, a nice dinner and spending some time together with her was her medicine. I barely find time to spend with her as I work for almost 12 hours a day(PHD in engineering)Wow, what a difference between statefarm and travelers insurance, Travelers insurance called me. The lady was very very nice and they are sending me an claimes adjuster to check my car out. She was kind although they were the ones to pay me unlike the statefarm that I pay them. I will get a quoto from them and if they are 1.5 or less than statefarms. I will switch. I found a good car actually for myself, my friend that I helped him passing the calculus(without money) is leaving the country for a year so he offered to sell me his car(2000 corolla LE-automatic with 88k on it) for $3500. It is pretty cheap considering it is a corolla and 8 years younger:) than my car. However, I have a connection with my car having it for 13 years 6 months and 11 days. I still want to ride with my friend.. I would like to point out one point that I was really dissapointed. 10 seconds after the accident, I got out of the car and there was a guy with a HUMMER that the accident happened in front of that guy, he horned for a long time and shouted me to move my car so that he can pass, he told I was blocking his road. Very very dissapointing..
nono.gif

Neck pain is usually worse about 4 days after the accident, typical whiplash it sounds like. IMHO (and I am not a doctor) keep active as possible as sitting still actually makes it worse, and Ibuprofen is the most prescribed OTC drug. Ask Travelers how the medical is handled in Georgia, here in Florida you have to file the medical under your own policy.

same thing happened to me. I was rearended at a yield sign last month. I pulled over and turned on my emergency signals on. some redneck in a lifted truck shouted "what's the matter bro? move your car"
guess what I said back?
wink.gif

If you like your Sentra, and its still driveable.... My advice is to settle for the total after getting the figure as high as possible. Then Buy the car back from the insurance company and hammer out the dents as best as possible. One of my 86 BMWs has been totalled twice. Its ugly but it still runs great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back