Need education on 2 cycle oil for an uncommon application

Like others recommended, I would run tcw3 because of the low rpm and high oil ratio. I would personally run this at 25:1, that is still very generous lubrification.

Like others recommended, I would run tcw3 because of the low rpm and high oil ratio. I would personally run this at 25:1, that is still very generous lubrification.
I just want to make sure I understand your recommendation. You're recommending that even though a previous poster discovered that the recommended oil is a simple SAE 40 non-detergent motor oil I should still run TCW3?

Haha, that's part of the reason I was wanting to reduce the oil a bit but I guess I'll leave it at 1:12 for now. It does produce a lot of smoke which may be part of the reason for the whole EPA thing...
Yes, I recommend the use of 2 stroke oil in 2 stroke engine. A lot of manufacturers used to recommend non-detergent sae oil before 2 stroke specific oil became widely available. They now recommend “high quality 2 stroke oil“ for the modern version of this tool.

More oil is less gas in the fuel mixture. Lean is mean and makes power, but it burns pistons and carbons up exhaust systems. Fuel also cools the engine not oil.
Full synth. oil at 40:1 in any old motor will not hurt it. Old junk oils from back in the day, '60's - '70's where 20:1.
Modern oil, modern mixture.
I haven't hurt an antique motor yet running them on Klotz synth. oils at 40:1 with snowmobile engines and they are way more stressed than power tool engines. Use it in my old saws also, no smoke and no problems.

More oil is less gas in the fuel mixture. Lean is mean and makes power, but it burns pistons and carbons up exhaust systems. Fuel also cools the engine not oil.
Full synth. oil at 40:1 in any old motor will not hurt it. Old junk oils from back in the day, '60's - '70's where 20:1.
Modern oil, modern mixture.
I haven't hurt an antique motor yet running them on Klotz synth. oils at 40:1 with snowmobile engines and they are way more stressed than power tool engines. Use it in my old saws also, no smoke and no problems.
Normally I would concur but the wildcard here is the hammer mechanism that seems to be lubricated by leftover oil after combustion. I can’t imagine a situation where 40:1 would leave enough mess behind to properly lube the hammer. It needs the spooge.

Diesel creek on YouTube just posted a video about one of these. I just started watching it.
Haha, that's funny, as he was working to get to the fuel hose I kept saying in my head, "Nope, can't take that part off yet, gotta get 12 other parts first."

Back