Need a sensible but fun daily

Originally Posted by dareo
I am seriously considering buying a Golf Alltrack with the DSG, having owned and sold the base fwd 5mt sport wagon it is a great daily. The current deals, warranty, easy power adds, make it very interesting. Compact wagon is really fun. I could buy pretty much anything but I'm really close to buying a ticket to Denver where they still have 60+ all tracks on sale. I miss my sport wagon.

Can you also relay your experience with the Buick Regal TourX wagon since you had it for at least 2-3 months? for the OP.

Thank you

P.S. this drive would be perfect for a proper break in....open the windows to smell the mountains, add drag and run AC on max to load the engine...

The regal TourX is a dream on the highway. Its our primary family kid hauler trip taking vehicle and its so good at that. The TourX is significantly larger than a Golf wagon. TourX is a lot of luxury for the buck if you can still find one. I have no serious complaints about it. Things like it not having a physical button for A/C on off. The Auto start stop is very dumb, but at some point i will tune that out when i'm ready to torch its long warranty. It really is sad that both the TourX and the Alltracks are pretty much gone and not likely to come back.

How good are the deals on the Alltracks? Well one can save about 18% off sticker and finance at 0% for 72 months. Yep, free money and warranty for 72 months.

Don't buy a front wheel drive when you can easily have an awesome AWD setup. Its really worth it.

How good are the deals on the Alltracks? Well one can save about 18% off sticker and finance at 0% for 72 months. Yep, free money and warranty for 72 months.

Around here, all I'm seeing is MSRP and no other discounts, but I haven't actually bothered to call any of the local dealers to see if they'd be willing to do better.

With my BMW starting to become more and more costly to keep on the road, I'm starting to ponder what I can replace it with as a winter beater. The Alltrack certainly would fit my requirements, if I could get one at a good price.

It can vary based on your state. Utah is about 10-15% off on the very few left here, so i'l probably go visit Emich in Denver, the Mecca of the Wagon, where they still have a whopping 68 units to choose from. I think there is less than 400 Alltracks listed on Autotrader in all of the USA. Taking the 0% for 72 cancels out some rebates but still cheaper than like 2.5%

Also if you wanna modify it, you can take an Alltrack DSG into the 12 second range with a turbo, downpipe, intercooler and tune.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
dareo, what do you think of the transmission in your TourX? It seems to be generally perceived as a negative aspect of the TourX drivetrain.

Honestly i love it. Its an AISIN unit. Its a luxury car. I expect it to shift nice and smooth and it does. Is it a high performance dual clutch? No. We have like 9k miles on it or so and it does exactly what i think it should for a vehicle like this. It fits the cruiser touring feel of the car just right. Sure some journalists may expect it to shift like a Nissan GTR but they are missing the point of what a TourX is. Primarily comfortable car that can still take some turns sorta fast. A Golf wagon is much sportier stock and way more mod potential if desired.

Minor rant here, but what is with dealers around here loading up their cars with lots of BS add-ons? The Honda dealer across the highway from where I live has tints, wheel locks, splash guards, rubber mats, and PAINTED pin stripes on EVERY SINGLE ACCORD. And guess what, that adds over a grand to the price. The Mazda dealers were the same: "interior protection package" along with tints and other ridiculous "coatings". It's obvious margin padding.

I've probably wasted an extra half hour combing through the photos on various dealer websites to see who isn't doing it...and the choices are slim.

Anyway, here's where I stand...

Accord 2.0T was "fine". Tons of room and lots of equipment. Engine is strong and it drives nicely. Car has no personality -- doesn't do anything well, but no real faults. Was disappointed to learn that the two colors I like are NOT available on the Touring model.

Ruled out the Genesis G70. Back seat and trunk quite small, and I can't justify that much money for something without a lot of space. Plenty fast and nice chassis, but not going to fit my needs. Impressive car and I understand why people would buy it.

Struggling with the GTI value proposition. $36k for an Autobahn model seems steep considering the so-so interior. It didn't exactly live up to the hype and I was a bit let down with the rear seat room. Equipment level is certainly good.

Didn't even bother driving the C43, just too much money when you factor in the way Texas screws you on leasing with the sales tax.

While I was at the VW dealer, they had an Arteon on the showroom floor and I was surprised by it. Not only is it a real looker, but the interior is huge and it has a gigantic trunk thanks to the hatchback design. It's not terribly sporty, more of a GT, but I'm actually considering one now. $48k for a VW might sound weird, but this car legitimately feels like an Audi other than some minor hard plastics in the interior. With the 0% for 72 it's extremely tempting. Is it $14k nicer than an Accord? Yes and no.

The Arteon is nice because it has the IS38 turbo factory so a reflash gives a lot of extra power. I would expect huge deals on Arteons. Writing this on flight to Denver to most likely buy the Alltrack...

Arteon has an Aisin trans, not DSG, better for taking it easy more than sport driving.

Around here the Kia dealers slap $2,000-$4,000 ADM stickers on all of their Stingers. And Kia wonders why Stinger sales have flat-lined...

Originally Posted by dparm
Minor rant here, but what is with dealers around here loading up their cars with lots of BS add-ons? The Honda dealer across the highway from where I live has tints, wheel locks, splash guards, rubber mats, and PAINTED pin stripes on EVERY SINGLE ACCORD. And guess what, that adds over a grand to the price. The Mazda dealers were the same: "interior protection package" along with tints and other ridiculous "coatings". It's obvious margin padding.

I've probably wasted an extra half hour combing through the photos on various dealer websites to see who isn't doing it...and the choices are slim.

Accord 2.0T was "fine". Tons of room and lots of equipment. Engine is strong and it drives nicely. Car has no personality -- doesn't do anything well, but no real faults. Was disappointed to learn that the two colors I like are NOT available on the Touring model.

Ruled out the Genesis G70. Back seat and trunk quite small, and I can't justify that much money for something without a lot of space. Plenty fast and nice chassis, but not going to fit my needs. Impressive car and I understand why people would buy it.

Struggling with the GTI value proposition. $36k for an Autobahn model seems steep considering the so-so interior. It didn't exactly live up to the hype and I was a bit let down with the rear seat room. Equipment level is certainly good.

Didn't even bother driving the C43, just too much money when you factor in the way Texas screws you on leasing with the sales tax.

While I was at the VW dealer, they had an Arteon on the showroom floor and I was surprised by it. Not only is it a real looker, but the interior is huge and it has a gigantic trunk thanks to the hatchback design. It's not terribly sporty, more of a GT, but I'm actually considering one now. $48k for a VW might sound weird, but this car legitimately feels like an Audi other than some minor hard plastics in the interior. With the 0% for 72 it's extremely tempting. Is it $14k nicer than an Accord? Yes and no.

Did you try Golf R?

The Arteon is nice because it has the IS38 turbo factory so a reflash gives a lot of extra power. I would expect huge deals on Arteons.

I'd consider it if it were a wagon.
smile.gif

I think you will find the add-ons will be free or removable when they see you are a serious buyer. I had to laugh that they bothered with wheel locks on our Outback as its got steel wheels, but they took them off, and the windows and doors already had the anti theft stickers on them but that was a non issue as well. Everything else we declined and the buying process was pretty painless. Heck you can use the pin stripes to get more money off, as that's the one thing they can't easily undo.

My wife's new prius came with $750 worth of addons. Dealer said the factory did it, truthfully it was the port. Anyway I told him I'd give him nothing for them. Still wound up with the car.

It was stuff like a "bumper applique", a $69 sticker that reads "prius" so you don't scratch the actual bumper dragging stuff into the hatchback. Door ding guards, floor mats.

They added a sticker to the b-pillar saying all this junk added 14 pounds, which were 14 pounds of luggage I couldn't use.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
What's the distance you plan on covering?

HMMh,

Do I smell a rec for a Grand Cherokee SRT?

I saw one taking off on a ramp right in front of me in Chicago burbs; The weather was just right, not too cold and not warm/hot.
Beautiful, and way less sound than a straight Harley....

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
What's the distance you plan on covering?

HMMh,

Do I smell a rec for a Grand Cherokee SRT?

I saw one taking off on a ramp right in front of me in Chicago burbs; The weather was just right, not too cold and not warm/hot.
Beautiful, and way less sound than a straight Harley....

Would need to go used to get to the $40K or less slot though unfortunately.

I'm in the "$40K or less" slot as well.
frown.gif

So far the top contenders are an M2 and a Bullitt- both used of course.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Did you try Golf R?

The Arteon is a great car, just big. On my list if I didn't need the big SUV.

I'll second the Golf R; great fun to drive, well built, decent material quality-nice interior and, finally, an electronic suite that is actually intuitive to use... Best of all is it is non-descript.

Back