Need a sensible but fun daily

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by dparm
Not interested in a 5 year old, extremely high strung German car.

What are you talking about 5 year old car? Didn't you say 40K? This one is a little more but I am sure for 40K you can be in a 2018 with a little horse trading. High strung?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Audi-S6-d687#listing=270196460

This one is 5 years old and nowhere near 40K.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Audi-S6-d687#listing=252171986

Those things are pretty rad, but a 2018 is coming up on 3 years old and won't be in warranty for much longer. I guess I could always try and look for one with a later in-service date or CPO. Interesting idea, thanks for sharing. I guess I was way off on price.

Originally Posted by czbrian
Tesla Model 3 is like $39.9K. Somewhat sporty but also comfortable.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Tesla Model 3. If you like faaaassst!

Go big or go home.

Not quite ready for an electric. Plus, buying Teslas is tricky here in Texas.

Regal TourX?
27.gif

Plus, buying Teslas is tricky here in Texas.

No worries. Elon will be making them in Austin a another year.
You will love him. He's whack. Probably eating pizza on 6th Street.

The Genesis G70 has an astonishingly small amount of legroom. The legroom feels worse than a 4th gen Camaro.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Plus, buying Teslas is tricky here in Texas.

No worries. Elon will be making them in Austin a another year.
You will love him. He's whack. Probably eating pizza on 6th Street.

I'm sure he's a great guy. Until he accuses you of being a pedophile.

Lexus GS350

Check this out. An hour away from you in Fort Worth is this gorgeous, Certifed Pre-Owned GS350. Right under your $40k mark. Reliable Lexus with style and power. This would get my $40k. Plus I've heard excellent things about Sewell Lexus.

Edit: Link isn't working. Google Sewell Lexus Fort Worth, look at pre-owned inventory and there's a blue 2018 GS350 for $37,995.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Kia Stinger, it's the cousin to the G70.

I'd get a GT1, but the dimwit drivers around here think AWD is necessary for even a brief shower. All the Stingers in my are are RWD.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by MCompact

I'd get a GT1, but the dimwit drivers around here think AWD is necessary for even a brief shower. All the Stingers in my are are RWD.
mad.gif

I think you mean all in your area are AWD and not RWD?

If WFH ever comes to an end I should get a ride in my coworker's Stinger. He seems to like it. Err, it is AWD but he does drive it in winter, so there's that. [Don't recall what winter tires he got, but he had to, I recall him getting nervous as he has the performance summers that might crack in cold temps.]

Originally Posted by supton

If WFH ever comes to an end I should get a ride in my coworker's Stinger. He seems to like it. Err, it is AWD but he does drive it in winter, so there's that. [Don't recall what winter tires he got, but he had to, I recall him getting nervous as he has the performance summers that might crack in cold temps.]

Tire cracking is only an issue in the most extreme performance tires (think R-compound or near-R-compound). A Pilot Super Sport will not fall apart if it gets below freezing, they will just get very hard -- meaning faster wear and noisy. The biggest problem is that those tires cannot evacuate snow from the tread, meaning you will spin hopelessly and have no control.

North Texas does get near freezing or even below for a handful of days every winter. I have driven summer tires in those temps plenty of times. The grip is poor but they still work.

Tire cracking is only an issue in the most extreme performance tires (think R-compound or near-R-compound). A Pilot Super Sport will not fall apart if it gets below freezing, they will just get very hard -- meaning faster wear and noisy. The biggest problem is that those tires cannot evacuate snow from the tread, meaning you will spin hopelessly and have no control.

North Texas does get near freezing or even below for a handful of days every winter. I have driven summer tires in those temps plenty of times. The grip is poor but they still work.

If you read the fine print even the UHP tires (BFG sport comp2, Firestone Firehawks, etc) have low temp restrictions. Some say not even to store them below freezing... I ran my sport comp2's around freezing a few times and they took a mile or two to become round, but didn't crack at the time, but at the end of their life they started chunking off pieces of the shoulder tread. Related? maybe but they also saw a quite a few autocrosses.

Mazda 6 w/ 2.5 Turbo and GTI

Wife has Mazda 6 2.5T currently, previously had GTI. The Mazda is very nice, and the engine produces enough power. The non-turbo version is too weak. The interior is nice and Mazda definitely spent time/$$ on the materials, fit, and finish of the interior and controls. Lots of room in the backseat and trunk. It's a nice sedan that is less boring than a Camry or Accord. But the driving dynamics do not confuse you with a sports car.

However, the mk7 GTI was fun to drive. The interior was nice enough but the thing was a blast to drive. The Mazda fits our situation better, but I miss the GTI a lot.

The new Jetta GLI may be worth a look for you. It's got the engine and DSG, and the trunk should have more room than the GTI hatch area.

Originally Posted by MCompact

mad.gif

I think you mean all in your area are AWD and not RWD?

Yes, no RWD Stingers are available. The Stinger V6 cars run Michelin Sport 4S I think.

I am seriously considering buying a Golf Alltrack with the DSG, having owned and sold the base fwd 5mt sport wagon it is a great daily. The current deals, warranty, easy power adds, make it very interesting. Compact wagon is really fun. I could buy pretty much anything but I'm really close to buying a ticket to Denver where they still have 60+ all tracks on sale. I miss my sport wagon.

Back