Need a New Pocket Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a huge Gerber fan. But i'll go outside the box here and throw out Milwaukee Fastback. Super strong spring assist knife. One of my favorites.

You will rarely find me without some form of Case yellow handle in my pocket..and if it's not a yellow handle it's a more up-market Case.

I'm partial to the Medium Stockman pattern as just an all around carry and use knife. I like this pattern enough that I have four knives in it. The one in my pocket today-and almost every day-is a 3318, which is a yellow handle with CV steel blades. I also have the 3318SS, which is the same knife in stainless, but have a personal preference for CV(especially when nicely patinated).

The medium stockman pattern has three blades. The primary blade is a 2 3/4" pen along with 2" sheepsfoot and spey blades. I find the spey handy for opening boxes and other common daily tasks. I could do without the sheepsfoot, but a lot of people like it because it stands proud and is easy to grab.

The other pattern I carry occasionally is a trapper, which has 3 1/2" pen and spay blades. If I'm going to be cutting a lot of boxes or something like that, I will use it, but otherwise find that the stockman works better for me.

All the knives I've mentioned are in the $40-60 range.

Gerber Gator with the Kraton soft grip.

Gator-154CM-Drop-Point-Fine-Edge_fulljpg.jpg

I have been carrying the already mentioned Spyderco Delica for the past ten years. Best darn daily carry knife I've ever seen. Lightweight, sharp, locking blade, great blade steel, durable. Great knife, highly recommended. I would never carry an "old timer" or traditional buck/case again after carrying the Delica.

If you want old school just buy s case knife. Nice knives hold a decent edge look nice and American made.

Oldtomthe French Opinel is an awesome knife that works well and is dirt cheap ( about $15 ) The carbon steel is best for edge retention and ease of sharpening. [/quote said:
I've had an Opinel for 35 years - broken the point a couple of times levering stuff, and must get another to replace it. Light and easy to carry, holds it's edge and always sharp. I think he needs an Opinel.

I really like Ontario Knife Company.

My favorite knife is an OKC Rat II.

It looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ontario-8848-Folding-Knife-Black/dp/B0013ASG3E/ref=sr_1_1?s=power-hand-tools&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1478906525&sr=1-1&keywords=Ontario+Knife+Company&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

It has really great Youtube reviews, people love this knife.

It is thumb opening, classic looking, AUS-8 steel *very sharp*.

What I love about it is it is fairly smallish looking, but the blade is the perfect length.

It looks like a fishing knife or something, so it isn't threatening looking, great for everyday carry.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
You can spend hours browsing here.

https://www.smkw.com/

If cost is a concern, look there and search amazon for the manufacturer number to save shipping.

If you think spending hours at the website is bad...you should see the store.

In half a dozen visits, I still don't think I've seen the whole thing-the only thing I can claim is that I can at least find the Case counter without asking for help.

I've been taking family vacations to the area for several years, and the over the past several years I've bought a knife as a souvenier of the trip. Because they are in the highest tier of Case dealers(I forget what it's called) they have virtually guaranteed availability of any current pattern in the catalog along with special editions. Typically, I end up buying a bone handle version of a pattern I already have and like, although I'm considering a damascus blade knife for my next purchase. The other possibility is a Russlock, which is a knife I don't recall seeing for sale in any of the local shops and is something I want to "try before I buy."

Although I've heard nothing but good things about their mail order service, it's hard to beat having them actually hand you the knife you're going to buy before paying for it. By that, I mean that they let you "play with" the display models, but the when you've agreed to buy they unbox the one they're going to sell you and let you examine before they take it to the register.

Granted, one disadvantage to buying in the store is that you get hit hard for the sales tax. The base TN sales tax is not inexpensive, and Sevier county adds on an additional amount-I think the total of the two is either 9.25% or 9.75%.

My current favourite is a Benchmade, but they do cost a bit. Super well made knife, very positive blade lock, zero play.

For my carry-everywhere I use a CRKT K.I.S.S. Fits perfectly in the watch pocket of a pair of jeans, not too expensive (MSRP $40, and discounted often), positive blade lock.

https://www.crkt.com/collection/kiss/k-i-s-s.html

For years I carried a Buck 112 but it needs a belt and that type of knife isn't welcome everywhere, but it is a great knife. I also like the Browning locking folder, it's Buck 110 sized.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
I'm a Pastor who has lost his pocket knife. I just need one to open boxes or cut a hose or trim a stick for marshmallow roasting. In other words a single blade would be fine. What are the better brands to pick from in today's market? I do want quality and not a lot of bulk.

I use a Shrade three-blade on the workbench but my pocket (carry) knife is a Boker "Tree Brand Classic," model 1200, with a stainless blade made in Solingen Germany.

It doesn't rust and it is easy to sharpen.

Last edited:
USA made Schrade Old Timer
French made Opinel (light, affordable and simple)
German made Boker (their classic pocket knife range)

I've carried Benchmade and Kershaw locking folders for years, but recently have been carrying a good old fashioned Swiss Army knife. Dominic recommended the Cadet, but I would recommend the Pioneer.

It is thin and light, but a touch bigger than the cadet and substitutes an awl for the nail file. An awl may seem like an odd tool choice, but I find that I use it all the time.It is perfect for opening boxes safely. It is short, stout, and has enough of an edge to slice through the toughest tape with excellent control and minimal risk of cutting the contents of the box. It also keeps the sticky gunk off of your main cutting blade, and reduced wear and tear, saving your main blade for real cutting tasks.

I also find that I use the "screwdrivers" quite a bit too. Not just for screws, but for all kinds of things, like prying the backs off of things when replacing batteries. For the uses you have described, I would carry a Pioneer. Like wingtips, it is a versatile classic.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019MLZB6/ref...=I3ESSP16X07CHL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back