Need a new formula for carbon / varnish removal......2 cycle cylinder / piston.

I use acetone, xylene, and atf in equal amounts overnight in the cylinder. It has worked in many semi carboned / varnished 2 cycle equipment with decent results.

I got a nice used husqvarna timmer from the 1990's ( back when 2 stroke oil was $hit) and only the exhaust side of the piston is quite varnished, but the intake side is mint. Nothing will touch it!

I have tried, seafoam, marvel mystery, carb cleaner, red armour oil, and nothing will reduce the varnish clogging the oil grooves on the piston.

Any ideas?

Qualy oil was available back then. The dirt bike shops had several brands like yamalube,mc1+, Golden spectro,maxima,torco etc.

Seems like many people forget to shop there.
We will never know what oil people use, but i have ran my share of junk oil back then.

I still have MC1 and Si-7 on my shelf for my old vintage bikes. I still mix it 32:1 as those bikes are almost impossible to get parts for.

We will never know what oil people use, but i have ran my share of junk oil back then.

I still have MC1 and Si-7 on my shelf for my old vintage bikes. I still mix it 32:1 as those bikes are almost impossible to get parts for.
2x on MC 1, the only synth oil I could get back in the '80's that stopped ring sticking in my old heavily modified '76 440 free air Polaris sled. That was the synth. oil that converted me to using only synth. oils in anything.

Tonights plan is to fill it up with 40:1 echo red armor and some seafoam and zip tie it to full throttle with proper load. Should get the varnish nice and hot, and hopefully melt it away.

So my one tank at full thottle seemed to help quite a bit, however, the nice oil grooves in the piston on only the exhaust side are still a bit brown with varnish. I almost need like a brass brush pencil to reach in there. Im not thinking another tank will do it on its own.

Most marine outboard engine manufacturers or Valve Tech have a de-carbon spray or Ring-Free to remove carbon and/or varnish. I've used OMC's, Yamaha's, and generic brands successfully over the years. Not sure what the ingredients are... Good luck, John

Back