Need a new clutch in my 09 matrix, trd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys my 2009 toyota matrix s 2.4 needs a new clutch soon. I seen that there is a heavy duty trd clutch available and was wondering if it would provide any benefit for the extra few hundred dollars. I don't intend to modify the stock engine so I'm not sure it its need. I do drive this car hard and use heel toe downshifts when driving "spirited". Will the trd clutch provide more reliability and/or improved shift quality? Thanks

I love the matrix but after having it a few years I'm getting bored and want to put a little money in it to liven it up. Perhaps a sporty lowering kit (not too much), maybe a body kit if I can find something classy looking.

I think you've answered your own question, yes get it. The pedal might be a bit stiffer but if you buy the regular clutch you'll be driving around wishing you had the TRD clutch.

Unless you are modifying the engine then no. Performance clutch's are setup to grab harder, faster, and not slip when given more power. They are not good for street driving as they grab hard and can be harsher than a OE style.

Just get a good OE style kit and run that. Make sure to change the trans fluid at the same time.

The TRD Clutch would be great. The 2.4 and 5 speed are rare. You have got yourself a keeper!

I'd see if Centerforce offers a clutch for it. Their Series-II clutches are excellent, and well worth the money.

If you plan to get the TRD supercharger with that clutch then I'd definitely go for it. For your setup an Aisin clutch kit is perfect enough.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
If you plan to get the TRD supercharger with that clutch then I'd definitely go for it. For your setup an Aisin clutch kit is perfect enough.

It doesn't look like they make one, or at least don't sell it as aftermarket. I checked for the Matrix and it looks like Aisin is selling a Valeo kit.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
OE style clutch when driven properly will last the life of the vehicle.

I just changed out the clutch in my ECHO, should I have scrapped it instead?
wink.gif

Everyone I know who has put in a super duper Stage 15 clutch in anticipation of upgrading power, never did the HP upgrades and they ended up with a car that was a chore to drive.

Do not install a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate in your car. A stock replacement clutch kit will probably outlast your ownership. The dual-mass flywheel went out in my GTI so I bought a one piece flywheel high performance stage one clutch kit. The clutch kit I got came with an Exedy clutch made in Japan (for South Bend Clutch) which isn't grabby and hard to feel but the stiff pressure plate feels like I'm doing a leg press.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

wink.gif

Why would you scrap it?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

wink.gif

Why would you scrap it?

Maybe he is indicating he thinks kschachn doesn't know how to drive a stick. 403K, original clutch , not that i'm agreeing with him.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Rockauto has a Luk kit for $82 and a Aisin kit for $147

I have used Luk many times but if worried about performance you can get another OE Aisin kit.

New Luk flywheel is only $62 as well.

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
Hey guys my 2009 toyota matrix s 2.4 needs a new clutch soon. I seen that there is a heavy duty trd clutch available and was wondering if it would provide any benefit for the extra few hundred dollars. I don't intend to modify the stock engine so I'm not sure it its need. I do drive this car hard and use heel toe downshifts when driving "spirited". Will the trd clutch provide more reliability and/or improved shift quality? Thanks

I love the matrix but after having it a few years I'm getting bored and want to put a little money in it to liven it up. Perhaps a sporty lowering kit (not too much), maybe a body kit if I can find something classy looking.

wow, lots of folks not even answering your question and making suggestions of what to use....welcome to BITOG LOL.

The TRD clutch, the way I understand it, is built to take more power. That means heavier duty and in your situation, HD should help will help with durability. You said you are ready to put some money into it; although the clutch may not make it sportier, it will be a solid difference from your regular clutch. So end result/short version of my commentary: go for it.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Rockauto has a Luk kit for $82 and a Aisin kit for $147

I have used Luk many times but if worried about performance you can get another OE Aisin kit.

New Luk flywheel is only $62 as well.

For this application the Aisin kit is a reboxed Valeo clutch.

Why would you scrap it?

Because you said the clutch will last the life of the vehicle, and I just had to change mine.

Have you read Toyotanation etc to see what the reviews are on the clutch?

I have to ask, as I replaced the clutch in my Jetta with an upgraded unit. And was floored when the pedal was lighter than stock! Totally transformed the driving experience--and in a positive way. I don't know what voodoo South Bend did, but I was very pleased with the result.

I don't think you'll get your money back on resale, but it does kinda/sorta increase sales price. Sure, someone might balk at a "modified" car, but some enthusiasts might appreciate that the clutch (an item "hard" to replace) was done for them. If the rest of the car isn't riced out / worn out, it might not be a detraction, but a selling point. Only say that in case you get even more bored and sell the car before modifying it--which I'd advise doing, as you'll never recoup the cost of mods. I'd advise figuring out how long you'd have to drive on those mods to be "satisfied" with the work done; and then plan on selling the car for perhaps stock pricing. You might find you are better off not doing the mods at all, but selling now, and getting something else that you like better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back