Need a CHEEP replacement for an Orange Can-O-Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the trick is to have many holes in the media and all the holes be consistent in sizes. Say you have a lot of media but less pores and some pores are big and some are really small, you might end up with the same efficiency but your flow will suck despite having more media area.

I think efficiency, flow, and holding capacity are more imporant measures than just media size. They can probably put more cheap media cheaper than a little less good media. But of course all else being equal more media is better, but usually more media means better flow and higher holding capacity. The P1 seems to do well on all accounts.

Last edited:
Hit up advance auto with the $10 off $25 coupon for jobber purolator "powerflos"... normally $1.99 ea, can get 13 for $15.87 or $1.22 ea. Tell friend you got a "case deal"
lol.gif
and he'll think you're a god.

Even if the bonnie blows up those filters fit a LOT of GM stuff.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
...But of course all else being equal more media is better...

Thats the key.

Originally Posted By: river_rat

The old blue P1s have about the same amount of media as the new yellow P1s but oil flows through, by gravity tests, twice as fast on the new ones.

Also backed up by the "Flow vs PSID" bench test data sent to me by Purolator ... the new PureONE flows very well IMO.

Originally Posted By: gofastman
For a Pontiac Bonneville with a 3.8.
Would Super-Tech be an upgrade from the current Fram?
Its going on an extreme penny pincher's car (not mine)and
Im trying to steer they guy away from Fram filters.

At some point you have to look at the quality of what you are buying. There are times when you need to spend a little more.

AC Delco filter at Wal-Mart is like $3.50. Cheap enough yet a decent product. Nuff said.

Last edited:
I'd have no problem recommending a Super Tech for $2.50. Used a ST #3614 Ecore for an 01 Tacoma and 5K OCI. Cut it open and it looked great. It would easily be my pick over the OC of Doom.

Now if you have an Advance Auto nearby and they have an AAP Total Grip left for ~$1.00-$1.45, that would be a great choice too. If not, and they will sell you a Powerflo (from the back) for $1.99, that'll work well too.

I just picked up some PowerFlo's from AA. $1.99 for my 4.3 V6 Blazer and $2.49 for my 3.3 V6 Town & Country.

Both are stamped Purolator on the filter and made in the USA.

PowerFlo? Hmmm...I didn't know they were hiding those back there.
I asked for a Total Grip and they were NLA at the store near me.
Think I'll drop in there later.

Well since they're only a couple block away I went on in and got a couple. $1.99 each. Not bad.
If I stop buying filters now, I'll run out on March 27, 2037.

Quote:
YMMV, my local AAP says they don't have anything cheaper than what's on the shelves.
That could be true but, the PowerFlo's they tried to sell me during the Total Grip closeout were ~ $1.99. I was looking for 4 Total Grip's at the time.

PowerFlo? Hmmm...I didn't know they were hiding those back there.
I asked for a Total Grip and they were NLA at the store near me.
Think I'll drop in there later.

I think with the down economy they haven't minded telling people now and then about them and selling them individually. But typically they don't tell regular customers about them. They stock them for garages and quick oil change places. I've heard some AA's only sell them in a certain quantity but my local AA would sell just one if I wanted.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
YMMV, my local AAP says they don't have anything cheaper than what's on the shelves.

Go during a different time of day and try someone different.

I would think that all AA's carry PowerFlo's or something similar for bulk purchases to garages.

I could be wrong, but I THINK they would only sell them to business accounts originally but either someone associates don't care or they have lifted that restriction because of the economy and just figure a sale is a sale now.

Either way, it'd be hard to imagine they don't have them in the back for business customers such as fleets, garages, quick oil change bays, police and city vehicle maintenance garages, etc. Because other part stores have them too and they wouldn't want to lose that group of customers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rastoma
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

Go during a different time of day and try someone different.

I would think that all AA's carry PowerFlo's or something similar for bulk purchases to garages.

I could be wrong, but I THINK they would only sell them to business accounts originally but either someone associates don't care or they have lifted that restriction because of the economy and just figure a sale is a sale now.

Either way, it'd be hard to imagine they don't have them in the back for business customers such as fleets, garages, quick oil change bays, police and city vehicle maintenance garages, etc. Because other part stores have them too and they wouldn't want to lose that group of customers.

Thanks, I will try again next time I'm there.

For the price, I'd buy a case.
Funny thing, I use a Purolator L20195 and it is 4 3/4" long, but the PowerFlo SL20195 is shorter. Ya, they looked it up on their 'puter and it is the same application--but like 1/2" shorter.

arte.jpg

I wonder if the Pep Boys Proline app would be similar to the PowerFlo in that application? That's the new Classic Puro, correct?

I haven't seen you test one of the Classics yet, looks like you been holding out on us. J/K.

I believe they would sell you a case of Powerflo's, use one of the $10.00 promo coopins and you got a darn good deal.

Thanks for posting the pic.

Hehe. I'm just old enough to remember that guy on Laugh-In.

Is the proline a puro? We don't have Pep Boys around my parts...
And ya, that is a puro classic. It's the oversize I use on my truck.

You're right I have never tested a classic, but stay tuned because I got a L20152, PL 20152, and Bosch 2422(?) all equivalent application sitting on my workbench.

Prolly post pics, measurements, and tests this weekend and see how these three stack up.
20.gif

Hehe. I'm just old enough to remember that guy on Laugh-In.

Is the proline a puro? We don't have Pep Boys around my parts...
And ya, that is a puro classic. It's the oversize I use on my truck.

You're right I have never tested a classic, but stay tuned because I got a L20152, PL 20152, and Bosch 2422(?) all equivalent application sitting on my workbench.

Prolly post pics, measurements, and tests this weekend and see how these three stack up.
20.gif

There is a recent thread down on the promo board with pics of the Proline and PowerFlo side by side, they look very similar on the outside. After seeing it, I'm fairly confident the Proline is a Puro, it's just not labeled as such (it does say made in USA). I suspect it's because at PB, the Proline is the shelves with the Puro oil filters.

Look forward to your tests of the three filters.

And, if you can 'just' remember Artie, you might be a 'just' a tad younger that me. I suppose you can remember what he said after verry intrresting.
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back