Napa Silver 31516 - 3500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut open this Napa Silver 31516 filter that came off my Jeep 4.0L. It was in use for 3500 miles, most of them short trips. Seems to be put together pretty well, and looks good considering I had to pry it out of the can.
crazy.gif

This Silver has a similar bypass valve as the Napa Golds along with the same coil spring.

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

Nice work, looks great all of mine have too. As you know I have run several and this one has become my favorite Silver for the Jeep.

Solid Wix construction, thread end bypass, no start up rattle and perpetually available for 3 bucks. What's not to like?

Good looking cheap filter.

It's the best option out there if you don't want to run multiple OCI's on one of the more expensive filters.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Nice work, looks great all of mine have too. As you know I have run several and this one has become my favorite Silver for the Jeep.

Solid Wix construction, thread end bypass, no start up rattle and perpetually available for 3 bucks. What's not to like?

Its not the spec'd filter and IF something was to go wrong, no warranty..
27.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
27.gif

Warranty? An an 11 year old Jeep?

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Whats the difference between 1515 and this?

1515 is what you would call the "1 quart" filter. The 1516 (or 31516) is what they call the "1/2 quart" filter. Basically, it's the size. The threads and gasket are the same, or nearly so.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
27.gif

So you think the aftermarket department does not have to warranty their products just because the manufacturer's warranty has run out?

Originally Posted By: Kruse
So you think the aftermarket department does not have to warranty their products just because the manufacturer's warranty has run out?

I'm talking about an in-warranty (or in this case, out of warranty) vehicle having an incorrectly spec'd filter installed on it. What are you talking about?

True not a spec filter, I rarely run spec filters on the Jeep though. A tiny risk I am willing to take.

27.gif

The warranty on the filter.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
27.gif

No no no. If the filter was to fail, they could say "too bad so sad. You should have used the spec'd filter."

Originally Posted By: Hessam
Do these 2 filter sizes have the same bypass setting?

Essentially the only difference between the PH16, PH8A and PH3600 (Fram numbers used for easiest cross reference) equivalents are minor gasket differences and drastic can shape variations. If you have room you can use them all interchangeably without issue.

As mentioned, if you actually have a filter failure using a "non-spec" size the filter company is going to tell you to pound sand even though they play the same games themselves with jobber filters and what not.

Of course if the filter was a spec Purolator they were going to tell you to pound sand anyway.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

thumbsup2.gif

Filter looks great jeepman ... thanks for the C&P.
smile.gif

I have used these myself with good results. I often wondered why some "Silver" applications use that "combo" bypass/ anti drainback valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back