NAPA Silver ?

Bought a NAPA Silver oil filter to try today (KCJEEP recommendation) for my Jeep 4.0L ... I was surprised at the construction : Metal end caps , coiled steel spring , steel canister , Nitrile gasket and good filter media . The interesting thing I noticed was the combo anti-drain back / pressure relief valve which is a bit unique - all for only $3.66 ea. ... For a 3,000 ~ 4,000 mile conventional oil OCI I hope it does well .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
The interesting thing I noticed was the combo anti-drain back / pressure relief valve which is a bit unique
That's exactly what I don't like about it and why I won't buy a NAPA Silver.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The interesting thing I noticed was the combo anti-drain back / pressure relief valve which is a bit unique
That's exactly what I don't like about it and why I won't buy a NAPA Silver.
Why don't you like them? I haven't taken one apart yet, but I can't imagine them acting any different than any other base end bypass filter. Maybe the bypass/ ADBV would wear (for lack of better terms) faster? Depending on how often your filter goes into bypass of course..

ChrisD46

Thanks for the replies & KCJeep ! ... Not sure how well the ADBV / Bypass combo works in this filter however my main objective is to try a oil filter that has specifically done well in Jeep 4.0L I6 engines (which KCJeep has had many). While it's a good sign to hear the oil filter could last twice that long (should I go slightly over 4,000 miles) , the (new to me) '95 Jeep Cherokee is my baby and I will be using 10W30 Pennzoil High Mileage or Maxlife High Mileage 10W30 (now on WM rollback for $16.17 per 5 qrt jug) with this NAPA Silver oil filter . Lastly , while the combo ADBV / Bypass may be different - KCJeep indicated previously that the NAPA Silver was one of the few non - OEM filters that did not experience start up noise in a Jeep 4.0L . That is a huge deciding factor to use this filter or a Fram TG filter (also rated high for the 4.0L I believe). At any rate , not to turn this into a Jeep only topic I will report back on intitial observations using the NAPA Silver . Lastly , the oil filter for the Jeep 4.0L is rather large (93mm) and for only $3.66 ea. with such good construction - I want to like this (Wix made ?) oil filter !
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I like 'em and I'm betting you and your Jeep will too.

Lastly , while the combo ADBV / Bypass may be different - KCJeep indicated previously that the NAPA Silver was one of the few non - OEM filters that did not experience start up noise in a Jeep 4.0L . That is a huge deciding factor to use this filter or a Fram TG filter (also rated high for the 4.0L I believe). At any rate , not to turn this into a Jeep only topic I will report back on intitial observations using the NAPA Silver .
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I like 'em and I'm betting you and your Jeep will too.
Will be interesting of you get the same results on your vechcle as KCJeep.

ChrisD46

I hope so , none the less I plan on posting my observations to pay it forward . If anyting I observe helps a fellow jeep 4.0L owner out to make a more educated oil filter decision then so be it smile

I installed my Napa Silver with Havoline dino yesterday.. She still has a slight tick at idle after driving about 10-15 minutes. The TG would tick on start up, but it always went away after I drove it. I am very tempted to make this a 1000 mile "cleaning" OCI. Lol. Maybe go to PYB and the Silver filter next just for the heck of it? So far I had the best luck with PYB and the Mopar Mo-090.

Last edited: