Napa Proselect 21085 C&P

Yikes. This is the worst tearing filter I’ve seen. Also, I think pointing to the filter being run over 5k miles as the cause of the tears is an error. I understand that it’s rated at 5k miles, but they’re (NAPA) recommending the filter for vehicles with manufacturer recommended OCIs which supersede 5k miles. For instance, the 27002 is recommended for the Mazda 2.5l which has an OCI of between 5k and 10k miles depending on MY. If a company is going to recommend the filter, it should be able to withstand all possible durations of OCI.

Thanks for the post OP.

Last edited:
I think a Napa Proselect oil filter is a rough equivalent to, if not the same as, a Protec oil filter that is made by Wix and sold at places like Rock Auto. I almost bought a Protec oil filter this weekend, if it would end up being like this Napa filter I am glad I dodged a bullet and purchased something else.

I wonder why, at least for my vehicles, the Napa silver is $3.99 and the pro select $4.99? Would seem bass akwards? I'll be replacing a pro select 21334 tomorrow. Will try to tear into it asap and see what it looks like.

I wonder why, at least for my vehicles, the Napa silver is $3.99 and the pro select $4.99? Would seem bass akwards? I'll be replacing a pro select 21334 tomorrow. Will try to tear into it asap and see what it looks like.
Not only seems backwards, but from what I've seen from Napa, they're allegedly the same filter. Haven't honestly cut a Silver apart to compare though, so really no basis for comparison.

Back