NAPA Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Imagine how long those older Hondas could have gone if they had Ultras way back then? Probably a million miles from every one.
Same distance they went (in my experience/in our area), until they got totaled or the body rusted off of them!

True that. And, Million Mile Joe used Honda OEM blue cans only. Everyone now knows how efficient they are.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

The goal is to save the $300+ cost of an oil change every 12,000 miles.

Therefore, standard filtration to protect an automobile engine is very different than filtration for oil maintenance in a big rig running 100,000 + mile OCI's.

Not to mention the cost of downtime when bringing said rig in for service.

OK, I mentioned it.

^^^ If filtering down to 3 microns wasn't beneficial in the long run, then big rig/commercial applications wouldn't do it either. There is more to it then just helping make the oil run for longer OCIs. At some point oil "wears out", even if it was 100% clean over the entire OCI.

What does it mean, to what particles are in the oil pan, after some hours of use, when it's said 50% efficiency at 20 microns, versus 99%?

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I have a 10 dollar off coupon, which would make this filter about 3 dollars. For my 14 accord, is this a decent filter?

You'll be fine with this filter, all the numb nuts trying to one up the other on filters is why I visit here, entertainment
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Their filters target the size of contaminants determined to be most detrimental to the engine.

Which is what size of particles? From the tech info I've read on engine wear, it's the stuff smaller than 20 microns that does the most damage, and that is why big commercial rigs, etc use bypass filtering setups which filter down to ~3 microns pretty efficiently.

So based on that, if a regular car filter is 99% @ 20 microns it's also much more efficient at below 20 microns than a filter that is rated at 50% @ 20 microns.

thumbsup2.gif

Exactly

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I have a 10 dollar off coupon, which would make this filter about 3 dollars. For my 14 accord, is this a decent filter?

I hear the NAPA PLAT is very flow restrictive compared to other top of the line oil filters or even lesser filters of the same brand and model number

I looked up the specs for both the Gold (1042) and Platinum (41042) on NAPA's website. Interestingly enough, all specs are the same except the flow rate. The GOLD filter flows about 2 GPM more than the platinum! Not sure what the point of going to the platinum is then?
As I said its more restrictive and I care about FLOW as much as filtration.

Last edited:
The benefits of a synthetic filter are that the media doesn't break down sitting in oil, so you can change by mileage only on vehicles that get stored frequently or driven little. Cellulose filters today are good, but eventually break down after so many years in service.

I am not sure these numbers represent what is happening under real driving conditions. An oil pump will circulate all the oil hundreds of times with few added particles, say on a 50 mile highway trip. It seems to me a 50% filter will very soon approach 100% given very little or no added particles, to the nominal rating. Probably I need to defend my use of Toyota filters against their bottom position on Amsoil's graph. All I care about really is my engines run in grit free oil. Twenty microns is grit. So I keep going back to bypass solutions.

If 1 million 20 microns particles were released into your oil, it would theoretically take 21 passes to capture all of them using a 50% @ 20 micron filter. Compared to 4 passes if using a 99% @ 20 micron filter. That means a lot of those particles will have many chances to do multiple trips through the oiling system to do some potential damage. In the end, a million particles will have went through the engine with the 50% efficient filter, while only 10,101 particles would have made it through using the 99% efficient filter - only 1% vs 100% of the original 1 million particles.

This helps visualize the difference between filtering efficiency.

OilFilterParticleRemovalExample.jpg

^^^^^

That and your engine is not a sealed unit, more contaminants are being added while you filter. So you want to get as many as possible as quickly as possible IMO.

If you have your heart set on using a low efficiency expensive filter go for it, your engine will not blow up. But it does not seem like money well spent when a Chinese Drive Works will filter at considerably higher efficiency, and a 95% efficiency 4 dollar orange can makes the Platinum look downright silly IMO.

Just found another comparison site for filters....gmtruckcentral... covers about every brand with heads up comparing...To each his/her own opinion; but there is no such thing as too much information to digest...they also test air filters; very surprising results.....

Originally Posted By: crash1st
Just found another comparison site for filters....gmtruckcentral... covers about every brand with heads up comparing...To each his/her own opinion; but there is no such thing as too much information to digest...they also test air filters; very surprising results.....

Yeah some interesting stuff i suppose. Too bad they grade filter surface area, even though the media is vastly different between most models.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/gradesheet.htm

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

33k89k5.png

The gmctruckcentral filter comparison has been discredited numerous times on this board since it was first posted here years ago.

Many of the 'patch test' efficiency results are directly contradicted by known ISO 4548-12 test results. That includes filters with different names (eg Wix/Napa Gold, orange can/HM filter) that use the same media also showing very different results even though ISO testing shows them to be identical. And that's not opinion, those are facts.

I'll believe accepted ISO testing results done in controlled conditions over a visual analysis of some patch comparison done in some guys basement. Bottom line the test results are unreliable and it has no proven test validity. Thus the scoring system is bogus, subjective and that goes far beyond comparing media area of filters of different types.

So while many synthetic media filters have solid ISO test efficiency ratings, the gmc comparison doesn't prove anything regarding their use one way or the other.

The one positive noted here about the comparison, the pictures are well done.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

I'll believe accepted ISO testing results done in controlled conditions over a visual analysis of some patch comparison done in some guys basement. Bottom line the test results are unreliable and it has no proven test validity. Thus the scoring system is bogus, subjective and that goes far beyond comparing media area of filters of different types.

+1 ... seems that river_rat's basement testing had much more correlation to the ISO test data than this gmtruckcentral testing did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back