Napa Gold vs. Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just switched my 4.9L F150 over to Amsoil 15w40 AME. I have been using NAPA Gold 1773 filters (a 1.5 quart capacity cross ref. of the Ford FL1A)

I do not know how far I am going to stretch the oil out, but am planning filter changes every three months or so, which will be 3-4 thousand miles.

The NAPA 1773 ($9) crosses to the Amsoil SDF26 ($13) so price is not a matter here. For the price, is the Amsoil a better filter, or should I just stick with the NAPA Gold?

thanks for your opinions.
Matt

According to Hastings (and AMSOIL) the AMSOIL filter will take out more contaminants and hold more contaminates without affecting flow than will the Napa Gold (which rates somewhere below Wix, Pure One, Purolater, AC, Defense, Group 7, and Fram).

I have seen that graph and didn't really trust it because the napa gold should be the same as the wix - they are the same filter with different paint. I don't understand how they could score so differently.

I also remember that napa used to advertise that they were twice as effecient as competitors...so without trusting advertising...per your experience, what is the better filter for what I need...

thanks,
Matt

If you are willing to pay that kind of money then look into the Mobil 1 or Pure One or find a Hastings dealer. The Hasting filters are the same as Amsoil and cost half as much. Amsoil swears they are built to a different spec but if you cut one open I don't think you will see a difference. They are made at the same plant.

quote:

Originally posted by matt cook:
aren't Hastings and Amsoil filters both made by Baldwin? Are they the same as Baldwins?

Good question. Hastings exists in marketing name only since Baldwin bought them out years ago but wanted to keep their reputation so continued the name. Baldwin owns everything and also manufactures many filters under different names (hopefully to different specs). Baldwin/Hastings/Amsoil who knows what the diff is? Need to cut open all three.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
Baldwin/Hastings/Amsoil who knows what the diff is? Need to cut open all three.

Maybe we could convince the oil filter makers to just design all filters with a threaded screw-on base plate. Sure would make it alot easier for guys like us!
lol.gif

Baldwin/Hastings/Amsoil who knows what the diff is? Need to cut open all three.

Well, the Baldwin rep told us that there are a few Baldwin filters which use the same media as do the AMSOIL filters, but very few--- mostly a matter of cost.

Of course, you could set up your own test lab and run tests. I suspect it might be a bit difficult to eyeball media and determine its efficiency.

Filters in general: Just because my K-Mart Penske is made by Wix(Dana) doesn't mean it uses the same filter media as a regular Wix, even though they seem to be mechanically identical. Same goes for the Napa Gold(Wix/Dana), house brand Pronto(Hastings), & the Champion-made SuperTechs, STP's, & Bosch filters. My only feelings on the amsoil-K&N-Mobil 1 & other expensive filters is this: there's no way I'll spend over $10 for one of these, when I can get a full-fledged Wix or Pure One for $5 or less. And BTW: if all you consider on a filter is how small the micron rating is, you're missing other important points. Problem is, the makers keep their secrets, & whoever you talk or correspond with at the company may or may not know what they're talking about.
frown.gif

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by matt cook:
aren't Hastings and Amsoil filters both made by Baldwin? Are they the same as Baldwins?

Good question. Hastings exists in marketing name only since Baldwin bought them out years ago but wanted to keep their reputation so continued the name. Baldwin owns everything and also manufactures many filters under different names (hopefully to different specs). Baldwin/Hastings/Amsoil who knows what the diff is? Need to cut open all three.

Baldwin told me that their Hastings filters are identical except for the label and number. They also make a lower quality Casite line, and perhaps others.

One big advantage of Baldwin/Hastings filters over Amsoil is the extensive selection of Baldwin/Hastings filters to precisely suit an application. Amsoil has a very short list of filters and may recommend a filter that's "almost" right. I've had experience in exactly this matter. Following Baldwin tech dept's recommendation, I no longer use Amsoil filters.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back