NAPA Chassis Line Parts

I'm sorry CatCam2, but that just doesn't add up.

NAPA Proformer Chassis is their low-end part line. For a 2010 Silverado (just grabbing an example) an inner tie rod is $19.99.

NAPA Chassis is their higher-end part line. For the same truck, an inner tie rod is $79.99.

Carquest/Raybest inner tie rod is a low-priced item around $30. This puts it close to your $12 difference from the cheap Proformer part, not the better Chassis part.

It seems that you used the cheaper NAPA Proformer part, and it broke on you. While you have every right to be angry about that, and I don't blame you for never using NAPA again...

It really muddies the water when you blame one parts line for the other's faults. Someone stuck with limited local options for a late night repair may pass up on the better part because of your misidentification, and a vehicle stay down for another day.
You may be correct -- My local shop put them on, When the 1st one broke I called the shop (good guys, have dealt with them for years) and they had the truck towed on their dime back to the shop. This is when I told them I didn't want another NAPA tie rod. They got the Raybestos one and we compared the difference.
Looking at the NAPA website the Proformer part does not look like the one that broke. The part that broke looks just like the Chassis part, here is the link, look for yourself. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCN2693123?keywordInput=tie+rod
Hmmmm???

Hard to say, with me remote, and the shop in between you and the actual parts purchase.

Hangfire -- mind you that this was back in 2013.....so lots of things change in 7 years.

Also, my wife does Finite Element Analysis, she's a PE and knows a lot about metals, she did a quick analysis on the part while she had it under a scope. Her determination was that the metal had impurities that caused the failure.

Attachments

• Tie Rod 1.jpg
    Tie Rod 1.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 67
  • Tie Rod 20.jpg
    Tie Rod 20.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 70
That's neat. I used to have access to a Chemist in the family (not the Rx kind for you UK folks) and his lab... until he retired.

Anyway, I won't be defending cheap Chinese parts! I always opt-up to the higher end stuff, but it is harder and harder to figure out which is which any more.

That's neat. I used to have access to a Chemist in the family (not the Rx kind for you UK folks) and his lab... until he retired.

Anyway, I won't be defending cheap Chinese parts! I always opt-up to the higher end stuff, but it is harder and harder to figure out which is which any more.
Most of the time it isn’t parts store stuff either. But recently I’ve had amazing luck with Duralast stuff from Auto Zone they use the neoprene rubber on their stuff too.

Hard to say, with me remote, and the shop in between you and the actual parts purchase.

Hangfire -- mind you that this was back in 2013.....so lots of things change in 7 years.

Also, my wife does Finite Element Analysis, she's a PE and knows a lot about metals, she did a quick analysis on the part while she had it under a scope. Her determination was that the metal had impurities that caused the failure.
Those parts should be recalled before someone gets killed.

I always used to think when I saw a wreck of some sort it was always because of the driver -- when this happened to me I wonder how many of these accidents were caused by inferior parts. I did report this to the NTSB but they didn't even respond back to me. So much for being a whistleblower! My wife pointed out all the info I stated above, that was her analysis, She knows all about stress concentrations, manufacturing methods as well as every type of metal and alloy known to man! She has been an expert witness in court so she is pretty darn knowledgeable when it comes to Finite Element Analysis FEA, that is her specialty -- Taking her through an amusement park with rides is scary before you even get on a ride!!!!! She points out all the failure points!!!😲😲😲

The blue boots suggest it is a Mevotech part...not exactly known for quality. Napa premium parts should be generally better quality, but not always. Many times they just slap a lifetime warranty on it, or it's more readily available in stock to service the local shops. The best quality parts still come from RockAuto where you have more control in picking the brand, or choosing an OE supplier.

Gah! That's awful, especially on a critical part like a tie rod end. I'm reminded of the old Firesign Theater skit about "the new Kamikaze from Recall Motors. It's the little car with the plastic braking system with the look of real metal".

I always used to think when I saw a wreck of some sort it was always because of the driver -- when this happened to me I wonder how many of these accidents were caused by inferior parts. I did report this to the NTSB but they didn't even respond back to me. So much for being a whistleblower! My wife pointed out all the info I stated above, that was her analysis, She knows all about stress concentrations, manufacturing methods as well as every type of metal and alloy known to man! She has been an expert witness in court so she is pretty darn knowledgeable when it comes to Finite Element Analysis FEA, that is her specialty -- Taking her through an amusement park with rides is scary before you even get on a ride!!!!! She points out all the failure points!!!😲😲😲
Uh...FEA has nothing to do with metallurgy. Its an analysis tool to study structure stiffness developed first by GM. Old way was to build prototypes and test them. FEA allowed them to analyze body structures before building anything. Expanded its use into modelling, its great advantage was grid could follow irregular shapes, unlike the finite difference method. Want to know about metallurgy? Take undergrad crystallography and strength of material classes.

Moog is who I would get. That’s all who I ever use for suspension that or Duralast are both very good. I rebuilt the entire front suspension with Duralast and Moog parts on my dads car and they are working excellent.

Uh...FEA has nothing to do with metallurgy. Its an analysis tool to study structure stiffness developed first by GM. Old way was to build prototypes and test them. FEA allowed them to analyze body structures before building anything. Expanded its use into modelling, its great advantage was grid could follow irregular shapes, unlike the finite difference method. Want to know about metallurgy? Take undergrad crystallography and strength of material classes.
I never said FEA was linked to metallurgy - I stated she is well versed in FEA and she does analysis of parts that have failed and the reasons why based upon modeling. Many of her studies have been parts that were manufactured well before any FEA programs were developed running different senarios with temperature variations and load variations. She simply pointed out tht the way this part was manufacured will lead to early fracture because of the method it was produced.

I never said FEA was linked to metallurgy - I stated she is well versed in FEA and she does analysis of parts that have failed and the reasons why based upon modeling. Many of her studies have been parts that were manufactured well before any FEA programs were developed running different senarios with temperature variations and load variations. She simply pointed out tht the way this part was manufacured will lead to early fracture because of the method it was produced.
"Also, my wife does Finite Element Analysis, she's a PE and knows a lot about metals, she did a quick analysis on the part while she had it under a scope. Her determination was that the metal had impurities that caused the failure."

Sounds like you are linking FEA with metallurgy somehow. No? Don't need to explicitly say it.

The comma separates the FEA statement and the general statement that she knows a lot about metals. Now, if I stated that while she performed a FEA on the part she came across a metallic anomaly then you could ascertain a link. The FEA statement goes along with her comment on the stress concentrations because of the machining process and she has vast knowledge on why parts break from her background.

Back