Ball Joint Boots Moog Alternative?

I am very curious about everyone's negative experiences with Moog suspension parts... I've used some suspension components in the past and put over 100k on them without any issues?
Has there been a change in quality due to a buyout? What year did they start getting chitty?

Edit: Nevermind, their quality has certainly degraded to where it is today... Many torn boots on every make of autos in forums..

I realize the original thread was old, but regarding problems contacting Moog or any other company:

Try to determine their email format. Google may get you some results. Maybe LinkedIn, too? You're looking for proper names like [email protected], or [email protected]

Then use the web to figure out who the higher ups are: CEO, COO, Marketing Directors, whatever. Use the email format to contact several of them. Be polite but firm, explain your problem, your dissatisfaction, and what they could do to fix it.

Usually the higher ups do NOT want to deal with this stuff but that's good because they'll kick it down to middle mgmt with basic instructions of "fix it and make this go away."

My experience with greasing suspension components is that you do it when you first install them. And maybe every other or 3rd year.

I had a good parts rep tell me that they sold both sealed and greasable and no one bought the sealed ones. He said and I quote "if grease can get out, then dirt can get it" and that has stuck with me for many decades.

I've always had the best luck with OEM, but MOOG that was US made held up well too. But don't grease them every oil change.

Last edited:
Google Moog boot problems, I have posted about this issue many times, it is very well known. Another issue with Moog outer tie rods end, many of them are not drilled and tapped straight, I have seen one so far off it was almost coming out the side.

Friends don't let friends buy Moog. It is a shame to say that but it has been a real fall from grace for what was once a gold standard for many years.

Honestly I've been baffled for years by greaseable ball joints.....there's virtually never a provision in the boot for old grease to escape, so you just stretch the boot until it fails. If the boot has any age on it you're guaranteed to accelerate its demise

Recently I did BJ's on a '93 4Runner and the Beck Arnley joints had an awesome little nipple in the boot for grease to pass through. That was a why don't they all do this?? moment.....

Honestly I've been baffled for years by greaseable ball joints.....there's virtually never a provision in the boot for old grease to escape, so you just stretch the boot until it fails. If the boot has any age on it you're guaranteed to accelerate its demise

Every joint that is designed to be greaseable should have a relief port on the boot. Sometimes it can be hard to see, but it should relieve naturally.

IMO, sealed designs are superior. Greaseable joints in principle are heavier duty because they use a metal on metal sintered bearing, but that's ONLY if they get fresh grease regularly which almost never happens. I doubt most oil change places these days would even care enough to look for all the greaseable points.

Back