Napa 5w40 $4.49

Or, you can look at it as it's the same Valvoline bottle oil but not paying for the approvals on this NAPA bottle & it's reflected in the price.
You are claiming it's the same oil, but the oil from Valvoline has formal approvals and shows up on the BEVO and VW lists, this oil doesn't. So, as I said, somebody would need to contact Valvoline to find out if it's the same oil, sans approvals or it is, as the bottle states, specifically developed for NAPA by Valvoline, making it a different product.

Or, you can look at it as it's the same Valvoline bottle oil but not paying for the approvals on this NAPA bottle & it's reflected in the price.
Since you're making the claim, the onus is upon you to prove it's EXACTLY the same now. Seems you've backed yourself into a corner and now HAVE to prove it.;)

Well didn't expect for this to blow up LOL. I've never paid attention to certain or approvals just grades. Even with transsions and I've never blown one yet.. even the CD4E in the Escape. I'd say based on observation if you have a Audi, VW or Porsche oil will be the least of your problems. Looks like the engines will last as long as the rest...

It says "Meets" right on the bottle there's your proof. There are many folks that run oil that state those exact words. It's a non issue.
For API SN. For the Euro applicability list it's under "Additional Specifications".

Here is the back of the Valvoline bottle, note it says "Approved/Licensed for:"
Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 5.51.08 PM.jpg

For API SN. For the Euro applicability list it's under "Additional Specifications".

Here is the back of the Valvoline bottle, note it says "Approved/Licensed for:"
View attachment 195443
I see they are displaying it differently, except the "recommended for" VW, but you know that is not a big deal. Many forum members run officially un "approved" oils. Surely we're not questioning Valvoline's performance to meet those specs either?

I see they are displaying it differently but you know that is not a big deal. Many forum members run un "approved" oils. Surely we're not questioning Valvoline's performance to meet those specs either?
Yes, we KNOWINGLY run oils that have no formal approvals, but that's going the other direction, they are considerably more expensive than most approved oils, it's not a money saving endeavour.

This NAPA product, which is manufactured by Valvoline for NAPA, according to the back of the bottle, doesn't have any formal approvals beyond the basic API one, which suggests that it's not just a re-bottle of the Valvoline Euro 5W-40 but potentially a more "price point oriented" product. Nothing wrong with that, as long as people are aware of it, since Valvoline is a reputable company that produces quality products.

It says "Meets" right on the bottle there's your proof. There are many folks that run oil that state those exact words. It's a non issue.
That's not a certification or official approval. You still need to prove it's exactly the same oil as Valvoline branded oil, which was your assertion.;)

Back