Napa, 5w30 synthetic high mileage, sp, VOA

7A9BB398-1D43-417A-8F34-575AA8A07BFE.jpeg

I was hoping it was an add pack at least equivalent to maxlife syn blend, the maxlife has more of everything, matches the regular NAPA conventional/synblend.

If I buy anymore house brand oil it’ll be Supertech or another Warren distribution blended oil.

Last edited:
Looks like a decent oil. Regular OCI with a good filter is 1000x more important than brand of API synthetic oil. Use it and don't look back.

5.2 is low for D4739 method (6.5 to 7.5 is more typical for a synthetic oil) but I still think it will do 5000 miles no problem.
If tbn is calculated by calcium and phosphorus or magnesium? Why can’t tbn be calculated just knowing the 2 ppm’s? I’m sure it’s more complicated than that. Is this an example of blackstone being low on tbn compared to other companies analysis?

I don't think the reduced Calcium/Magnesium blend is a big problem, unless you have an engine you're trying to clean up. Pennzoil Platinum isn't very far off of this oil. It looks like a good oil otherwise.

Was this oil dexos approved?

I don't think the reduced Calcium/Magnesium blend is a big problem, unless you have an engine you're trying to clean up. Pennzoil Platinum isn't very far off of this oil. It looks like a good oil otherwise.

Was this oil dexos approved?
No, their regular syn is or used to be in sm+ days.

May I ask a question? What's the difference between SUS@212 and Viscosity @40c ? Is it the same value?

I thought the original message was asking for difference between viscosity at 212°F vs 100°C, hence my answer. Guess I read too fast.

Anyway, that still answers your question as if it's the same value...

Personally, I think Blackstone would be providing more useful info if they reported 100C and 40C cst.…not to mention gas-chromatography-based fuel dilution…though having a flashpoint reading too sounds useful. it’s like they are taking one measurement, and spreading it across 2 lines on the report…or rather 2 measurements for 4 lines on report (Cst & SUS, flashpoint & estimated fuel).

not to mention oxidation, nitration, acidity

wait, couldn’t you just use Polaris/Amsoil lab instead? Of course I am talking more about UOA’s not VOA’s.

edit: ok, now that I shot my mouth off, question: wouldnt all tests showing a given cst have the same SUS? In other words, wouldn’t any oil reporting 10.07 cst have 59.5 SUS??? New or used? I guess I better read the links above

Last edited:
Both the units of SUS (Saybolt Universal Seconds) and cSt (centiStokes) are kinematic viscosity. Sometimes SUS is also called SSU (Seconds Saybolt Universal). Kinematic viscosity is measured by how fast a fluid flows by itself under gravity (X amount of fluid flowing out of a calibrated tube in Y seconds). Dynamic viscosity is measured by shearing the fluid layer under some other force beside gravity (like the test machines used to measure HTHS for instance).

The other type of viscosity is dynamic viscosity, with units of cP (the units of HTHS). But the test methods are different for SUS and cSt from what I'm finding. Since they are both kinematic viscosity, they can be converted back and forth between units. Here's a conversion table I found. So, I'm betting Blackstone uses one test method and then converts to the other units.

Last edited:
View attachment 65834
I was hoping it was an add pack at least equivalent to maxlife syn blend, the maxlife has more of everything, matches the regular NAPA conventional/synblend.

If I buy anymore house brand oil it’ll be Supertech or another Warren distribution blended oil.
Thanks for posting this VOA. I am now using this in my Lexus ES 330 (2004) with 220k miles. It's good to know the composition of it.

Back