Name that oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been given some specs for an oil that is currently under test in the UK by one of the leading Skyline GTR tuners. He builds 800BHP plus cars and has a vested interest in finding the best oil for his customers cars(for obvious reasons). He will not however disclose the origins of this particular blend.

I have my own thoughts as to what it is similar to, but would like people's opinions on what other oil has close specs...
wink.gif

"API SL, SJ, SL, CF
ILSAC GF-2, GF-3
ACEA A-1, A-2, B-1, B-2
Chrysler MS-6395 H
Ford ESE M2C-153G
GM 4718M, 6094M
US MIL L-46167B
VW 505.00, 501.00
Mercedes Benz AG 226.1
JASO VTW Spec

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)

Cold Crank Simulator Apparent Viscosity @ -30°C, cP (ASTM D 2602)

Borderline Pumping Temperature °C (°F) (ASTM D3829) -40 (-40)

Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
-51 (-60)

Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
226 (439)

Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92) 240 (464)

Noack Volatility (DIN 51581) 250°C for 1 hour, % weight loss 9.2

High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity cP, X°C, X s-1 (ASTM D4683) 3.5

Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D 4172: 40kgf, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hr) Scar diameter, mm 0.373

Total Base Number
>11.0

Thanks

These are the old specs of S2k. Tell him he wants Redline and to ignore that 4 ball wear garbage. I hate that spec.
rolleyes.gif

[ November 25, 2003, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Tell him to ignore Buster.

Pablo, lets get real here.
rolleyes.gif
That spec hasn't mean anything on this forum. 4 ball wear has had ZERO correlation to wear in this forum. It's Amsoil Propaganda, please....
rolleyes.gif

I would not put S2k in an engine with 800+hp.
wink.gif

Thats an engine that needs RL IMO.

Pablo, if you think S2k has not been impressive in most of the street cars we see on here, how or why would you recommend this oil in a 800Hp car?
dunno.gif
smile.gif

[ November 25, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Good question...Although I'm not quite sure of the answer.

It's on the GTR forum, the tuners tend to be constantly punting some new amazing product.

Amsoil S2K was evidently the flava of the day.

They're selling Royal Purple on their for $28 a quart!!!

Crazy money and these guys are paying it...Although if you can afford to support a 700bhp skyline habit then what's a measly $550 for lubricants? Madness!
gr_eek2.gif
fruit.gif

buster I wasn't referring to your comment about the 4 ball test, but since you bring it up AGAIN I will bring you to task...it was simply listed, parroted if you will, and then you jump in an say ignore it.

Since you seem to think Redline = race oils, why didn't you write WHICH Redline? Why not some other race oil?

How many Formula 1 cars use Redline? How many Indy cars? CART cars?

I was NOT recommending 0W-30 for this application. Nor would I recommend a street oil. Doesn't sound like a street car to me but he didn't say too much about the car now did he? Did he tell the engine type and list clearances. But there's Buster recommending Redline. What's up with that?????

Pabs, sorry for the confusion. I guess I jumped to conclusions to quickly. What I should have said is to not go by the four ball wear alone. I think it's misleading thats all. After reading Tooslick's post about RL, and the fact that Terry recommends it, I do think it's the oil to use for high HP cars, thats all. I'd even say to use S2k 20w-50, as that has shown to be a great oil. I just can't see the benefits of S2k, other then temp. reductions. RL just seems more suitable for racing, street or racing oils.

Ohms69,

If you are serious about using this oil for this application, please contact me off line or let me know a good time to give you a call in the UK....I'd like to know the design tolerances of the engine as well as the specs for the baseline engine. I'm generally familar with the Skyline model sold in the Japanese market ....

These oil specs are several years old and have been improved since this data was generated. More specifically, this is now an ACEA, A3/B4 formulation.

Ted K.
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

quote:

These oil specs are several years old and have been improved since this data was generated. More specifically, this is now an ACEA, A3/B4 formulation.

NOAK has been improved to 8% and change.

[ November 26, 2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back