NADA Guide - Vehicle Value Check

Every year about this time I check the value of my vehicles using the NADA Guide.

I just completed that exercise and found that my fleet of cars has collectively increased in value by 19% year over year. Now I know that everything is relative, since if you trade, sell, or dispose of a needed vehicle that you will have to replace it and the new or replacement vehicle that will also be worth more respectively vs. the same year over year period.

But given the recent thread discussion of cars being assets vs liabilities, I was pleasantly surprised by these results. Look up your own cars, you may be surprised too.

Mid-March to early April is when people start to receive "tax refunds" from the IRS. That is when you normally see the highest values on used cars.

Yep-There has been whole threads about my vehicles are now worth (insert amount here). The threads have been recreational since very few have sold AND BOUGHT another car. I have two vehicles -they are worth in excess of $60,000.00 and I owe around $7,000.00. Don't plan on replacing one vehicle until the market returns to a sense of normalcy-could be awhile.

That's in line with latest increases of used cars market research; there is a research that shows an average 20% increase in all used car prices in past 12mnts

our both cars weight $43K, while we owe $10K

in a normal market I would not replaces our cars let alone in this one

That worked fine. Mine is worth a little bit more than I paid for it 3 years ago. Now if you could only get that on trade.

I just traded in a vehicle for about what I paid for it last December, 13K miles ago. It is a nice, still low miles SUV, but still. I have a very good friend at a dealer group who took in what I really want and basically said; now's the time. Crazy market, they are a BMW/MB/Audi dealer and can't get cars fast enough.

I do the same exercise, and if I believed what I saw for the fun fleet..I'd sell half of them :)

Last edited:
Wow… my truck is worth about exactly what I paid for it new almost 2 years and 22,000 miles ago, the van is worth about $1,500 more than I paid for it 3 years and 30,000 (currently at about 78,000) miles ago for trace in according to that!

I’m done buying/trading vehicles though.

I paid 36,500 out the door for my 2017 gas one ton with 29,000 miles on it. Rough condition trade in is more than I paid for it.
I suspect I would get between 38000 and 42000 on trade.
I owe about 8000 bucks on it.

2017 SRW 1 ton

According to this, my 7yr old car is worth about $4K MORE than what it was when I checked it about a year ago. Of course, new car prices are probably up about as much when you account for virtually no rebates or dealer discounting. So it all balances out.

Back