n00b questions/setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
first i have been approved to post! so i have stopped lurking ;/

I have a 96 ford mustang with 100,000mi, im going to start doing my own oil changes this is what im thinking. Let me just say that I drive a lot! like 2000+mi per month although 1500mi are highway miles, also im down in houston, tx we dont have winter/cold. Drain intervals 5000mi.

Vavloline MaxLife 10w30(free fuel cleaner) w/Super Tech oil filter (what is the best one that fits my car) $13

or

Mobil 1 SS 10w30 w/Super Tech oil filter $25

What would you gurus recommend?

also does Motorcraft make 10w30 synthetic? if so where can I get it? motorcraft > walmart supertech?

Oh yeah today at walmart i saw this thing called Fram suredrain it looks cool do you guys use it or know how it works?

OK now air filters(and fuel filters) should i use fram, super tech(do they make em?), or motorcraft.

THANKS

Well not really a "Guru" but
welcome.gif
I think first of all SuperTech is a good filter. Mobil 1 10W-30 is a good oil and you could even thicken it up a bit ( Texas-especially in the summer with a 25% of the Mobil 1 15W-50 mixed in ) You should be able to easily do well over 7 or 8 K miles . I would suggest a Used oil analysis. If you are gonna go with extended drain intervals you might want to stay with the Mobil 1 vs the SuperTech and I really don't know about Motorcraft Syn.

As far as the Sure drain-it allows you to drain without removing the plug. I personally don't favor it bc I'm not sure you get the same flush as when you remove the plug. That's just me.
smile.gif

Personally I feel Fram or any other air/fuel filter is fine.
smile.gif

Nice car! I had 140,000 miles on mine when I traded it and it still ran like new and used 1/2qt per 3000 miles. And I drove it like I stole it. The only weak link on mine was the clutch bearings. Had to get a new clutch at 130,000.
Oreilys house brand 20/50 and orange fram filter every 4000 miles.
Joe

quote:

As far as the Sure drain-it allows you to drain without removing the plug. I personally don't favor it bc I'm not sure you get the same flush as when you remove the plug. That's just me.

It could vary from one car to another, but with both my wife's Civic and my Firebird, the Fram Sure Drain does not seem to be holding back any oil at all, the same amount is needed to top it up after an oil change compared to the stock drain plug.

I don't know about the newer modular engine Mustangs, but the older 5.0L cars have two oil pan drain plugs. One in the front and one in the back of the pan. The back one is the primary one but if you don't pull the front one too you'll leave about a quart of dirty oil in the engine.

Like any other car, if you decide to start doing work on it yourself, a factory service manual is your best friend. The Ford manuals are some of the best IMO...

[ November 20, 2003, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

hrmm so what do you think about the oil is maxlife good for my car since i have high milage or should i go synethic? also does motorcraft make a 10w30 synthetic? what super tech filter shold i get. that suredrain looks cool im thinking if i get it i would have to jack my car up anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back