Mysterious windshield haze

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2009 Impala rapidly develops a haze on the outside of the windshield.
For reference, due to this film and micro pitting, I replaced the windshield last year.

I tried everything to get rid of the haze/film: multiple new wipers, Bon Ami, alcohol, 0000 steel wool, Cerama Bryte, Stoner Invisible glass, newspaper, razor blade, acetone, mineral spirits, and about 20 other things.
The abraisives would make a good dent in the issue, but what ultimately worked was Duragloss Nu Glass 755. The windshield was spotless...for a few days.

The film returns and I don't know what is causing it.

My theories:
My car burns/ leaks some oil, maybe it is flowing over the windshield.
I park in a parking garage. I often note a dusty layer on the windshield, maybe concrete dust.
I have a 90min round trip commute, maybe it is just road gunk.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

How long til you first noticed this? My understanding is that replacement glass is rarely as good as OEM. My car windshield has tons of pitting and haze...along with the paint on my hood..so I know its from road debris. If your commute is mainly highway, I would tend to say its from highway driving. Does ur hood have alot of paint chips?

I think there must be a thin protective layer on glass and that dirt eats at it exposing it to accumulate dirt or become porous like and result in further pitting.

I have nothing bad like that but here in MD. I'm getting a white haze on mine.
I assume its ash from all of the wood burners we have from the cold weather.
If yours was on the inside I'd say it was outgassing from your interior plastics.

Bob, I think you answered yiur own question here:

Originally Posted By: Loogie

My car burns/ leaks some oil, maybe it is flowing over the windshield.
I park in a parking garage. I often note a dusty layer on the windshield, maybe concrete dust.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

A little bit of oil plus some dust/grit sounds like the cause. I would think that regular soap and water would do a great job at cutting the greasy buildup. Dawn dishwashing liquid comes to mind.

Is your coolant crossover leaking and hazing the windshield with Dexcool? Really common on these cars. Not the windshield parts but the coolant cross over that is. Also inspect the head gaskets for external leaking.

Last edited:
I get some haze too. Not as serious as yours though.
I feel the automatic washes maybe spreading spray wax from the brushes etc to our windows.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the responses.

I should clarify that the car is in a parking garage 4 days/week while I'm at work.
Also, the film isn't apparent until the wipers go across the glass, then it is obviously smeary.

One of my earliest attempts to clean the windshield was with Dawn dish soap.

I'm beginning to think the parking garage and/or an engine-generated film is the culprit.
I do get faint odors of coolant on occasion, and I top up with about 1 cup of coolant per year.

I may try covering the windsheld while at work, and check out the coolant connections for obvious leaks. I could use some GM stop leak tablets as well.
It is definitely leaking some oil onto the engine and burning off--I can clearly smell it when I pull into my garage. It isn't severe, but maybe enough to cause the film.

Whatever it is, it is tenacious!

Bob

I have this problem with my current windshield. I believe the haze I have is only with an aftermarket windshield. I wish I would have spent more and purchased the OEM windshield at the dealer.

If it is coolant, there are a few culprits. Heater core and crossover as mentioned, would be my first items to look at.

I wonder if a dirty cabin filter could cause it. They don't take long to get mucked up. The dirty air coats the glass.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
If it is coolant, there are a few culprits. Heater core and crossover as mentioned, would be my first items to look at.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I wonder if a dirty cabin filter could cause it. They don't take long to get mucked up. The dirty air coats the glass.

On the outside?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

On the outside?

I've seen engine oil on a windshield. It's not unreasonable.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

On the outside?

I've seen engine oil on a windshield. It's not unreasonable.

I was commenting on the highlighted "heater core" and cabin filter statements. If either one of those cause a film buildup on the outside of the windshield then I'd like to know how.

I understand.
My thinking on the heater core was the hoses as they meet the firewall.
No offense taken, your thoughts were right.

My first guess would be something in the parking garage.

If you ever get another w/s, go OEM.

Note that most windshields do not have a coating on the exterior surface.

May also want to consider new wipers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back