How to clean a windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this weird problem with my windshield since I bought this car 4 years ago. I think the glass is pitted by acid rain or something when it arrived at the dock.

Everytime when the glass gets wet it has this hazy looking oily looking film. It makes it very difficult to see through especially at night. I've tried every cleaner I can get my hands on and I used vinegar and water many times.

The last resort would be to use Brasso with #0000 wool but that's risky because it could very easily scratch the glass.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

I've heard of something called 'rottenstone', it's used by wood workers,etc. Bon Ami or Barkeepers Friend are glass friendly powders you can find in larger grocery stores(next to the scouring powder).

I have used chrome polish before and it did a decent job of polishing the window up. Just put it on a terry cloth and well go at it.

I think I've found a good system for cleaning glass. I can now recognize when a winshield is stained, etched, or otherwise has a poor surface. Usually the water doesn't sheet off the glass and balls up when it rains. Even Windex or Bon Ami can't get rid of the stain. I've even seen it on new replacement glass.

I use a glass polish for windshield stains. It's basically a mild abrasive made from fine cerium oxide powder. I got mine from JC Whitney. Even though the kit comes with an orbital applicator, I apply it by hand. The orbital applicator is a drill attachment for more aggressive cleaning.

I check for stain removal by looking at how the water sheets off the glass. Once I'm satisfied the glass is clean I give it a good wax treatment with a Rain-X type of product per instructions.

I've used "00" steel wool countless times to remove hard water deposits and have never seen a scratch. If you're not that brave, maybe try the rough side of a Scotchbrite sponge.

I've also noticed that Rain-X adds a certain clarity to glass.

ScotchBrite pads scratch the glass...

I know, I just had to replace a mirror that I used ScotchBrite on.
pat2.gif

When I washed cars as a kid at the local service station, we used Bon Ami powder on the windows inside and out.

I find using Rain-X type product makes it much much worse. The way light is reflected when the glass is wet makes it impossible see through the glass at night.

I am pretty sure it's pitted because when the glass is damp (not wet by a splash of water, damp after the blades wipes majority of the water off already). I can see streaks lines about 1/2" wide running down the entire length of the glass uniformly. Because of these streaks, it makes it extremely hard to see through.

Kestas,

You mean JC Whitney had something that was useful & not a scam in their catalog? It must have been an old catalog. Anyway, what's the p/n, etc.?

Have you considered it may be damaged and you need a new windshield?

You can get Cerium Oxide powder from any glass shop. Incidentally, don't use any sort of scouring pad on your windshield. It will scratch it.

I've found the drive through car washes that have the hot wax will leave a build up on the glass that is almost impossible to remove. Try a bit of lacquer thinner on the glass and see if a bit of the build up is moved.

Don't get any on the paint. And the thinner evaporates so quickly you need to be fast with a clean rag to pick up the dissolved wax before it becomes redeposited.

I still use Bon Ami when the need arises.

I'd stay away from Barkeeper's Friend, just because the run-off might streak your car's finish. IIRC, it has some kind of acid in it. It definitely makes my skin peel a few days after I scub the pots and pans with it.

I found the best solution for getting auto glass clean. I use the stuff for cleaning the glass top stove in my kitchen. My Yukon has smoked glass all around the back. It gets sap, pollution and whatever else on it. NOTHING gets that glass clean except the stove polish. Works great on the windshield too.

I just tried the smooth stove top polish stuff like NYEngineer suggested on my mirror in the bathroom, and it worked great, and after showering, the part that was cleaned with the smooth top cleaner didn't hold as much water. I will try the whole mirror tonight, and see if there is any scratching that I didn't notice before. If not, it will be used on my windshield.

Never thought about the ceran stove top clearner/polishers, but I have used turtle wax's polish compound. I have used rain-x in the past and also found it to make matters worse (haze/smearing). I've even trued regular auto wax and silicon lubricant to aid ice removal/fogging...did work in that respect but not per say optics. Yes I like to experiment on occasion.

I recall an article for glass polishes/refinishing in a classic cars magazine out of Europe. One would work a drill mounted polishing pad with the various compounds to help clean and potentially remove minor pitting. It looked messy and for the extreme case of minor pit removal, they didn't find it to be so useful. This is where I got some ideas for giving FINE abrasives a try, w/o oil for above reasons.

With my last polish, I would let the wipers stroke through the film. Though the wipers are not very old, this vehicle's system doesn't seem all the capable at providing a clear wipe...at least on the driver's side! It's like a lapping procedure done to valves, only not as extensive. A skirt of washer fluid here and there to help lubricate. It doesn't hurt anything and I simple give everything a wipe down to clean of residues. One might have to spray down the windshield to remove any remaining compound that's settles in the sand blast pits of the glass though, or else they will remain highlighted till the next good rain.

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back