Help please! Possible chemical etch windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Kestas
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Vinegar?
Originally Posted by Cujet
you could try a bit of muriatic acid on a microfiber towel. Just wet a small corner of the towel and test a spot. Muriatic acid is commonly used for pools. It will clean glass where other things won't.
If the OP can't remove it with a razor blade I doubt he is dealing with a chemical deposit. It seems the glass is etched.

Yes. If there was potassium hydroxide in the cleaner then it has etched the glass, just like people who complain of a "film" on their glassware from the dishwasher. You are not going to clean it off.

It had to do a number on the paint as well.

The safety data sheets say that is the active ingredient. The paint was fine surprisingly. I hope it doesn't continue to eat away at it! Didn't think of that before. We car washed it and then I rubbed and scrubbed it from the paint. No car wash afterwards.. uh oh.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
HA HA!! Laughing inside at the boss getting what he deserves by asking unqualified help to service his car!!

Stop touching the car before you make things worse.

Honestly, the easiest bet is to just file a property damage claim with the insurance, let the adjuster and BMW fix it. Out of pocket the deductible...

Not sure how Qualified a person is supposed to be to fill washer fluid. Filled my own for 20 years. I made a costlya mistake though. And I believe he was checking the out of pocket for replacement.

Originally Posted by eljefino
If you polish the windscreen incorrectly you'll make little "lenses" eg optical distortions.

I would just start through the yellow pages looking for "glass doctor" types.

Thank u

Originally Posted by Kestas
Originally Posted by NeedAdviceASAP
I went to go look at the label of the windshield wash fluid… to discover it was Power Washing Fluid.

How did this happen? Did the bottle look similar to windshield washer fluid?

Yes it did. And the label was also scrunched up to hide the "power washer fluid" part. I didn't see that, looked past it. I saw the bottle, the color, and the brand name Splash and didn't think anymore about it at the time until I went back to it.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Example of label:
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back