Help please! Possible chemical etch windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help with any advice ASAP. I think I ruined my boss' BMW! (mostly the windshield)

Last week my boss asked me to refill his car with windshield washer fluid. So I did.
Today, he tells me that his windshield fluid has been soapy and now the glass had weird white film from it and to please windex it.
I went to do so and windex did zero to clean it. I noticed that the entire car had little white spots: all the windows, moonroof glass, back window, and the entire surface on the paint.
I went to go look at the label of the windshield wash fluid… to discover it was Power Washing Fluid. So that is what had been coming out of the Windshield washing fluid tank, and gotten sprayed while the vehicle was in motion, spewing it all over everything.

Now, there are windshield wiper track marks, making semicircle markings into the glass. And also a dripping pattern; like a water droplet drip stain pattern. Its white and hazy.

Does not remove with my fingernail or any degreaser, window cleaner, goo gone, goof off!, glass cooktop cleaner, or razor blade I tried today. Using regular towel, newspaper, microfiber towel, toothbrush, cooktop scrubbie (a scouring pad, type of Brillo designed to scrub off stove cooktop markings, so is course).

After a car wash, and multiple goings over with as much pressure as my arm could supply— it was lifting off of the paint and most of the glass. (Whew!)
But as for the windshield… nothing has helped to lift any of it.

It seems to be a chemical "etching" into the glass where the power washer fluid dried, bonding it into the glass in these patterns.

I've been reading on several forums and there are lots of opinions and products listed by various people but no consensus in general.

I did buy from Home Depot today, an adapter for a power drill and "metal/plastic" buffing pads… but after doing more research I don't think those things would help me much.

He does not want to file a glass claim.
Stated the windshield (for his BMV suv) is a $1500 windshield.

I contacted the company of the liquid… no suggestions and will get back to me. "Splash" is the brand.

I would VERY much appreciate any help or advice to lift this "staining" from the windshield. Any help or advice at all.

Someone said focus on how to remove sodium silicate.

I don't know which direction to head down first.

They sell cerium oxide abrasive for this purpose if you want to DIY. Otherwise do as skyactiv suggests, and take it to an automotive glass shop.

Rain X sells a glass polish. It's a very mild abrasive and is exceedingly time consuming to use. My guess is that it won't work, but ya never know.

Other than that, you could try a bit of muriatic acid on a microfiber towel. Just wet a small corner of the towel and test a spot. Muriatic acid is commonly used for pools. It will clean glass where other things won't.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Vinegar?

Originally Posted by Cujet
you could try a bit of muriatic acid on a microfiber towel. Just wet a small corner of the towel and test a spot. Muriatic acid is commonly used for pools. It will clean glass where other things won't.

If the OP can't remove it with a razor blade I doubt he is dealing with a chemical deposit. It seems the glass is etched.

The glass is only part of the problem. I would empty and flush the washer system. Also, has this affected the paint and trim?

Originally Posted by Kestas
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Vinegar?
you could try a bit of muriatic acid on a microfiber towel. Just wet a small corner of the towel and test a spot. Muriatic acid is commonly used for pools. It will clean glass where other things won't.
If the OP can't remove it with a razor blade I doubt he is dealing with a chemical deposit. It seems the glass is etched.

Yes. If there was potassium hydroxide in the cleaner then it has etched the glass, just like people who complain of a "film" on their glassware from the dishwasher. You are not going to clean it off.

It had to do a number on the paint as well.

HA HA!! Laughing inside at the boss getting what he deserves by asking unqualified help to service his car!!

Stop touching the car before you make things worse.

Honestly, the easiest bet is to just file a property damage claim with the insurance, let the adjuster and BMW fix it. Out of pocket the deductible...

If you polish the windscreen incorrectly you'll make little "lenses" eg optical distortions.

I would just start through the yellow pages looking for "glass doctor" types.

Originally Posted by NeedAdviceASAP
I went to go look at the label of the windshield wash fluid… to discover it was Power Washing Fluid.

How did this happen? Did the bottle look similar to windshield washer fluid?

Originally Posted by kschachn
At least power bait wasn't dropped into the engine this time.

haha for real.
Trolling.gif

Originally Posted by AZjeff
It looks like there are 8 different Splash power washer products. Potassium Hydroxide is the ingredient listed on the SDS sheet. It's a strong alkaline substance.

Yes that is what is on the SDS. I've read that potassium hydroxide turns to sodium silicate when it's left on windshield. The most common answer (that I have seen so far) to how to remove that from windshield is to use stainless steel cleaner and 0000 steel wool.
Tried it. It removed some but now the dripping marks are darker then the rest of the glass. Looks like it's inside of the glass or something. Can't feel anything on the surface with fingernail or razor blade.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'd try having the windshield polished at an auto glass or body shop.

Thanks. I suggested that to him. I said i would pay for it to be detailed.
He said no. (I don't know the reasons why.

Originally Posted by Kestas
They sell cerium oxide abrasive for this purpose if you want to DIY. Otherwise do as skyactiv suggests, and take it to an automotive glass shop.

Thank you. I will look into that

Rain X sells a glass polish. It's a very mild abrasive and is exceedingly time consuming to use. My guess is that it won't work, but ya never know.

Other than that, you could try a bit of muriatic acid on a microfiber towel. Just wet a small corner of the towel and test a spot. Muriatic acid is commonly used for pools. It will clean glass where other things won't.

Thank u

Originally Posted by PimTac
The glass is only part of the problem. I would empty and flush the washer system. Also, has this affected the paint and trim?

I siphoned the rest out and dumped many gallons of water through.
And, I had originally thought the entire vehicle was going to be ruined forever. If it was doing that to the windshield I couldn't imagine what it would have done to the the paint...
Oddly though, it came up from the paint pretty easily. Had to apply a lot of elbow grease and go over it a few times. I think because of the fact the car was in motion, it had a minimal thickness (the fluid spray.) The windshield took the brunt since it was hit first and directly sprayed from close and probably was a little layered.
I don't know. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back