How to clean a windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaman, I've also used the stove polish on the bathroom mirror, works good. Also try the Rain X in the black bottle. Works great on bathroom mirrors. Curious, Rain X hazes less if the windshield is CLEAN. If you don't like the stove polish, try 0000 steel wool and vinegar.

What about a product that removes fine scratches from plastic (i.e. motorcycle windshields)? Something like Novus?

If it is safe for plastic, it should definitely be safe for glass.

Quote:

I have this weird problem with my windshield since I bought this car 4 years ago. I think the glass is pitted by acid rain or something when it arrived at the dock.

Everytime when the glass gets wet it has this hazy looking oily looking film. It makes it very difficult to see through especially at night. I've tried every cleaner I can get my hands on and I used vinegar and water many times.

The last resort would be to use Brasso with #0000 wool but that's risky because it could very easily scratch the glass.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

If the haziness is from the glass having been etched by hard water deposits I don't think you remove those deposits. Abrading the windshield will introduce optical distortion that might affect your vision.

I'd try a product like Sonus Glass&Chrome cleaner.

Also make sure it's not just your wiper blades that keep smearing the windshield with silicone, oil etc.

Please note that hydrocarbon based deposits (waxes, oils, etc) will not be dissolved by vinegar. A strong alkaline cleaner (ammonia or TSP for example), or a strong hydrocarbon solvent (lacquer thinner, disc brake cleaner, etc) are needed for those films/deposits. Floor wax stripper should work just as well too. The glass stove top cleaner that has been mentioned is likely an alkaline cleaner. That's an intriguing one that I'll have to try.

Vinegar is a very weak acid that will dissolve inorganic deposits (hard water salts), but will not dissolve hydrocarbons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back