My Take on the New 2022 WRX

Yes, and even it was given more gusto for the go. Thats exactly my point. 271hp would be fine...20 years ago.
HP/weight ratio is far more important than numbers alone. My daily ride is far less than 271, but is quite light in weight and has a nice quick/tactile feel.

OK, a 2021 GTI goes 5-60 mph (rolling start) in 6.8 seconds, and its standing start 0-60 is a half second slower than the WRX, and 1/4-mile is slower.

All for a more expensive price.

Again, as I’ve said, the WRX is really in a class by itself. And has proven to be more than competitive.

If you don’t think it’s fast enough, that’s your opinion. You don’t have to buy one.
Motor Trend got a 5.4 0-60 on the new 2022 GTI DSG. They struggled launching it cleanly cause its just FWD. 13.9 second quarter mile. I don't think any journalists have track tested the new WRX yet, but i expect it to be fairly close if not identical. Not that i would buy the GTI w/o a 4 motion option.

For a driver on highways a lot the GTI would be the better choice. For the lower speed streets with stop and go that AWD is luxury.

To speak to Ws6's point about the Rav4 Prime:

I'd rather blow the doors off people in a R4P than some ricey hatchback/wrx. People won't even notice a Rav4 but they might call the cops for somebody "RACING" a WRX.

Handling wise yea the R4P is a very fat lady but depending on the roads and use that might not matter.

Came back to this after 24 hours and find someone bench racing a rav4, like what the hell, of all the ridiculous arguments. An F150 3.5 ecoboost is pretty **** fast too but I wouldn't exactly take it to a road course like I would a WRX.

OK, a 2021 GTI goes 5-60 mph (rolling start) in 6.8 seconds, and its standing start 0-60 is a half second slower than the WRX, and 1/4-mile is slower.

All for a more expensive price.

Again, as I’ve said, the WRX is really in a class by itself. And has proven to be more than competitive.

If you don’t think it’s fast enough, that’s your opinion. You don’t have to buy one.

Motor Trend got a 5.4 0-60 on the new 2022 GTI DSG. They struggled launching it cleanly cause its just FWD. 13.9 second quarter mile. I don't think any journalists have track tested the new WRX yet, but i expect it to be fairly close if not identical. Not that i would buy the GTI w/o a 4 motion option.

For a driver on highways a lot the GTI would be the better choice. For the lower speed streets with stop and go that AWD is luxury.

To speak to Ws6's point about the Rav4 Prime:

I'd rather blow the doors off people in a R4P than some ricey hatchback/wrx. People won't even notice a Rav4 but they might call the cops for somebody "RACING" a WRX.

Handling wise yea the R4P is a very fat lady but depending on the roads and use that might not matter.
I used to have some pretty sporty vehicles. One had a G meter. I rarely pulled over 0.8 on the street, even in smooth round abouts. I often will need to aggressively accelerate to claim a lane or spot in traffic...and because fun. The wrx has zero from a low speed roll. Its entire game is a abusive launch. Ive never owned, and never will own, a "sporty" car with a 7 second 5-60. They feel absolutely dead in the water.

That said, ive had more tickets in my suvs than my sports cars. Go figure.

Last edited:
Came back to this after 24 hours and find someone bench racing a rav4, like what the hell, of all the ridiculous arguments. An F150 3.5 ecoboost is pretty **** fast too but I wouldn't exactly take it to a road course like I would a WRX.
Never seen a road course on the way to work, lol! I focus on what matters, and noone is buying a new wrx for road course work. Its a daily.

I used to have some pretty sporty vehicles. One had a G meter. I rarely pulled over 0.8 on the street, even in smooth round abouts. I often will need to aggressively accelerate to claim a lane or spot in traffic...and because fun. The wrx has zero from a low speed roll. Its entire game is a abusive launch. Ive never owned, and never will own, a "sporty" car with a 7 second 5-60. They feel absolutely dead in the water.

That said, ive had more tickets in my suvs than my sports cars. Go figure.
Youre solely focused on drag racing. You want a drag racer, buy a pony car.

The WRX is made to be a quick 4-door that has excellent handling (it succeeds at that), along with great utility (you can mount a rooftop cargo carrier, or tow a trailer, or install a hitch-mount cargo carrier or bike rack).

Where do you live? You need to come and drive Deal’s Gap in East Tennessee, and you’ll understand what a car like the WRX is for.

Youre solely focused on drag racing. You want a drag racer, buy a pony car.

The WRX is made to be a quick 4-door that has excellent handling (it succeeds at that), along with great utility (you can mount a rooftop cargo carrier, or tow a trailer, or install a hitch-mount cargo carrier or bike rack).

Where do you live? You need to come and drive Deal’s Gap in East Tennessee, and you’ll understand what a car like the WRX is for.
I have plenty of twisty roads here. The wrx handles fine, it just isnt quick. Its a 14 second $30k car. Misses the mark since this isnt 1995. Give it 320hp and I'd have nothing ill to say.

Its not so much that im about drag racing as I am about not having people in their moms acura suv crushing my soul, lol! Scooby needs more go. Yes, this is a drag race, but it also illustrates thst these "quick" "sporty" cars...even the Sti, are similar in daily traffic to mid 200hp small SUV's.

Ive driven both base and Sti late model wrx. They handle fine, just no power in the wrx, and the sti is criminally laggy.

Last edited:
Never seen a road course on the way to work, lol! I focus on what matters, and noone is buying a new wrx for road course work. Its a daily.

Nobody is buying a Rav4 for light to light drag races

I have plenty of twisty roads here. The wrx handles fine, it just isnt quick. Its a 14 second $30k car. Misses the mark since this isnt 1995. Give it 320hp and I'd have nothing ill to say.

That already exists

When I took my V8 Genesis to the drag strip, one of the runs I did was against an F150 Ecoboost with a camper shell! :ROFLMAO:

I won, I was 14.3 seconds and he was 17.something, I think he had some wheel spin issues though.

Reactions: Ws6
I had a 2002 WRX which I think was the first year they were available in the USA. Car and driver got a 0-60 time of 5.4 with that car and I believe some other car magazines were getting 5.7 - 5.9.
So it seems not much if any improvement from what it was 20 years ago which is surprising.

Wow! Complaining about the looks of a Subaru borders on trolling! When do they ever look good!? LOL
The redline being lowered(from what I can see from the pics)is disappointing, but points to a fatter torque curve.

Last edited:
You may prefer the looks, but the 2015+ handling/cornering/ride is far better.

Vastly stiffer chassis.

True, the chassis has improvements every generation. I really like how my friend's 2015 wrx handles, I can only imagine what this will feel like. Specially the GT trim with the adjustable dampers.

I had a 2002 WRX which I think was the first year they were available in the USA. Car and driver got a 0-60 time of 5.4 with that car and I believe some other car magazines were getting 5.7 - 5.9.
So it seems not much if any improvement from what it was 20 years ago which is surprising.
I wonder how much more the new car weighs over the 2002...

True, the chassis has improvements every generation. I really like how my friend's 2015 wrx handles, I can only imagine what this will feel like. Specially the GT trim with the adjustable dampers.
The 2015+ handles great, I give it that. We took the Sti sideways through a turn-around and it was just a laser. Went where you pointed it. That is the one thing I really like about what Subaru managed. They made a 60/40 car handle great! The AWD system in the STi is excellent also, the WRX base models? Meh.

That said, my friend with the Sti is disgusted with Subaru and thinks they have lost their mind and are on crack and a lot of stuff I can't post here. He's actually considering dumping the brand and buying an M3 he hates them so much over this. I just keep reminding him that maybe they will boost the STi's power, and he could have 313bhp instead of 310, if he just holds out...

It's like they chose to style the WRX like the rest of the lineup instead of a japanese sports sedan. I recently saw one of these in the "wild" (costco) and i really could not decide if i thought it was the ugliest thing ever or the coolest thing ever. It looked both good and bad at the same time. I had to slowly walk all around it. Tons of cladding, lots of lift, very black and white looking. The example i found was brand new and perfectly detailed. I imagine after all the plastics fade it will look worse.

The Outback Wilderness in white:

Attachments

• outback wilderness.jpg
    outback wilderness.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 30
Back