My survey of ACEA 3 oils. 7 syn, 3 semis & a DINO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
The usual.

quote:

If you look closely at the label and the Amsoil web site, these oils don't MEET the ACEA specs, they are "recommended for applications requiring" them. Big difference.

But they do meet the requirements.

How do we know? Has Amsoil ever documented that they have put their oils through the battery of tests necessary to pass these ACEA specs?

Since one of the reasons they eschew API certification is the cost of testing, I find it hard to believe that they would submit their oils for the more rigorous (and no doubt more expensive) testing involved in ACEA certification.

quote:

In North America, where highway speeds rarely exceed 100mph on average, the A3 spec isnt that important.

Well, yeah, but that doesn't mean I won't drive my car hard anyway. I can go 60 mph in 2nd, you know (Not that I do that routinely)...
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:
Whoa, Chevron and I both used "ACEA 3" designation...

I posted a direct link to the Delo 400 series of heavy duty motor oil PDF test data sheets for anyone who'd care to peruse them. No where does Chevron list, "ACEA 3" as you state. Chevron ONLY lists "ACEA E3" and "ACEA E5". Chevron does NOT list any "ACEA Ax" qualifier for gasoline engine use. I stand behind what I posted, and unless you can direct me to a link that states otherwise, I believe you are in error.

Apples and oranges. The Chevron oil TSoA originally specified was the Delo 400 conventional dino heavy-duty 15W-40 fleet multiweight unless I missed something.

Believe me when I say I'm genuinely sorry that your inital post was in error. I'd really like to have confirmed that a reasonably priced dino was ACEA A3 rated. No hard feelings?

cheers.gif

Castrol Syntec SAE 5W-40: is engineered specifically to meet the Volkswagen engine warranty requirements, exceeding VW 502 00 and 505 00. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Porsche approved and also exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4, MB 229.3, MB 229.1, BMW LL-98. Meets the engine protection requirements of Corvette GM 4718M, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz and ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back