My STUPID Torque mistake - will it be ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a 4 wheel rotation in my driveway on my '13 Corolla.

STUPID mistake..... I torqued all to 45 ft/lbs in the air. Lowered the car and torqued all but the passenger rear to the full 76 ft/lbs. I then drove about 6 miles without any problem. Got home and torqued checked, then realized the passenger rear was left at 45 ft/lbs accidentally! Ugh!

SO, any likely damage? Any likely error codes to expect? Visually looks good. No notable noise or wobble. None of the 45ft/lb nuts were "backed off further". From my feel cranking on the torque wrench, they all felt like they were still at the 45 ft/lbs.

Advice?

Tires don't typically cause any error codes. Just tighten it to 76
smile.gif

Yeah you can really drive that Corolla until the wheels fall off
crackmeup2.gif

Felt Sooo stupid when if turned that torque wrench and saw the nuts moving , my brain instantly realized, "Final torque forgotten!"

Anyhow while I was doing the rotation I did remember to spritz the bleeder bolts, tie rod castle nuts and little nuts (not lug nuts of course) with Fluid Film to prevent corrosion.

I use a mistake proofing method for torqueing lug nuts. I do quite a few tires. Before I even start on wheel removals, the torque wrench comes out of the tool box, to the bench for one reminder. I never final torque a wheel, until all 4 are done, then I go in the same sequence every time. I will sometimes even leave the socket on the wheel I will start with. I will always start with the LR,LF,RF, ands last, RR, EVERYTIME. That way, even if I am talking, or not paying attention, when I get to the RR, I know I have done all 4. Only then, will the center caps or whatever go back on, and the torque wrench back in the box. That way, after the car goes down the road, and the wrench is still on the bench, I know I forgot something.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Felt Sooo stupid when if turned that torque wrench and saw the nuts moving , my brain instantly realized, "Final torque forgotten!"

Anyhow while I was doing the rotation I did remember to spritz the bleeder bolts, tie rod castle nuts and little nuts (not lug nuts of course) with Fluid Film to prevent corrosion.
The only time you will never make a mistake is if you never do anything.

45 ft/lbs is still pretty snug in my opinion, so like others have said I doubt any damage was done.

Originally Posted By: Traction
I will always start with the LR,LF,RF, ands last, RR, EVERYTIME. That way, even if I am talking, or not paying attention, when I get to the RR, I know I have done all 4.

Of course, in the southern hemisphere one should be careful to reverse the pattern to counterclockwise (looking from above).

OP, I probably would have loosened the suspect wheel (jacked up) and started over again because that is what a true OCD'er would do.

I agree with others that no harm was done unless those 6 miles were over a demolition derby course of chin grinding potholes.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

OP, I probably would have loosened the suspect wheel (jacked up) and started over again because that is what a true OCD'er would do.

So true. I've been dealing with mild to severe ocd for around 14 years now, and I can't believe I haven't ruined my torque wrench yet. I'll check the torque on each lug about 5 times before lowering the car onto the ground. Once the car is on the ground, I'll usually torque the lugs down again once or twice since the weight of the vehicle somehow makes it so that they need to be tightened down just a hair more.

Should be fine but what's the torque specs say for your model and year, 76 ft-lbs? If so retorque all of them to the specs. I'm assuming you have a FSM. Loosen them on the ground, torque all lug nuts to spec, drive 6 miles again and recheck torque.

I've historically left hubcaps off until the wheels have final torque. That's my cue to myself. With aluminum wheels I carry a torque wrench & socket for the 25 mile retorque. Once done with that the tool is off my floorboards.

No harm done. Torque is a substitute for bolt stretch. That bolt stretch allows for many variables, including temperature of the assembly and load. You stretched 'em a bit for a short ride where they were lightly stressed. They were plenty tight for those conditions. No worries.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I've historically left hubcaps off until the wheels have final torque. That's my cue to myself. With aluminum wheels I carry a torque wrench & socket for the 25 mile retorque. Once done with that the tool is off my floorboards.

animal-kingdom-worms-birds-open_a_can_of_worms-eats-can_of_worms-09501731_low.jpg

Why not??????
Trolling.gif

Everyone "should" know that the only way to properly torque a fastener is for it to be turning/moving while using the torque wrench to measure the final torque. Measuring a static fastener is simply incorrect.

So, does one "recheck" the torque or actually "re-torque" the wheel fastener? According to this link, the proper way is to loosen and re-torque the wheel fastener after x amount of miles. http://www.tirereview.com/the-right-torque-procedures/
"All that is necessary is to loosen and retighten each fastener to the specified torque, in sequence."

Have fun with this.....or not.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Why not??????
Trolling.gif

grin.gif

The non-moron method is to simply set the torque wrench about 5-10# higher than the initial torque.
it wont be frozen in place after a day or 2 (and 50-100mi)

I torque the wheels initially to 75, then retorque in a few days to 80 or so.

My unscientific methodolgy:

I used to retorque the wheel on my racecar before every on track. I found that once I reached a certain torque level, I never had to retorque - that below that level every so often one (or more) of the lugs was below the torque value.

Please note, I ALWAYS checked, but got to the pouint where it never needed adjustment.

Just food for thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back