My Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would just like to announce (brag)to all here that as of 12-1-12 I am a retiree.After 30 yrs of service to the Georgia Dept of Corrections I decided to hang it up.I have been working since age 13 at some job,I am now 48.I'm tired.

So I am going to take a month or two off to relax a bit.Do some hunting and work on my old tractor and old truck get them going again.And post here more often.

Then I'll find another job and hopefully that income added to the retirement check will result in an overall increase in income.Which will enable me to putter around with some vehicles and home improvement projects.

Just wanted to share my good news with the folks here.

You will miss giving the well deserved there tune ups. You started young, good for you. I started working for the power company when I was 22. I can't draw my 401k till 59 1\2.

I did a online retirement calculator and it says I can retire @ 83 *IF* things stay the same.
37.gif
If the economy gets worst (I think it will) then I'll work till I die.

And I'm quite a bit older than you!

Congrads on the retirement!
thumbsup2.gif

I am jealous...

Bill

PS: Thank you for your service doing what you did. I know what you had to put up with for 30 years.
cheers3.gif

Wow, congratulations, being able to retire at 48, I'm envious.

23 years in the power industry for me in Jan (turn 45 this December), and 13 years 'till I can touch my super (15 if I don't want to take a tax hit), and 22 until I hit the official Oz retirement age.

Congratulations on a well deserved retirement !!!

I'm 52 and luckily I was smart enough to always max out my retirement contributions (so does my wife). On top of the 30% I put away in retirement every year I do invest outside those plans.

Urrlord,
Do you have to work with your monthly pension income, or do you just want to find something to stay busy ?

Hey congratulations!!

It's nice you can rest, hit the reset button and do whatever you like later.

I'm 52, can retire most anytime now. Been 31 years in Hi-Tech Microelectronics Engineering, 20 of them in FDA compliance validations & much more. I'm tired after all of that as well...

Take a deep breath & have fun!

The problem with retiring before Social Security Age is paying for the health insurance which can run quite high. If I was young, healthy, and retiring before 50, I would just take out a major medical plan and call it good. Hope your mortage is paid off.....why work anymore if you can pay major medical and start a hobby that takes up your time?

Question: and only you can answer and understand this:

Will you be able to sleep well without dreaming of inmates and the crazy things you have seen in the last 30 years?

I know why your tired.....

my dad retired at 48 yrs old from the USPS. He's broke at 68. he didn't pay off a mortgatge. He's in an apartment scraping by month to month.

Originally Posted By: sprocketser
I m 47 & the way it s going right now , I'll never be able to have a good retirement at all .

Join the club, only government employees can retire at 48 years old these days.

Congratulations! I am 48 and working since I was 12 and I too am tired. Thrilled to find out yesterday I can retire in 4 years. Can't wait!
25.gif

John

Congratulations. 48 is a pretty young age to fully retire, but if you're financially able and it's your dream, by all means do so.

There's something to be said for puttering around with tractors and old trucks. But I like your idea of finding a job that you want to do, not that you have to do.

Originally Posted By: urrlord
I would just like to announce (brag)to all here that as of 12-1-12 I am a retiree.After 30 yrs of service to the Georgia Dept of Corrections I decided to hang it up.I have been working since age 13 at some job,I am now 48.I'm tired.

So I am going to take a month or two off to relax a bit.Do some hunting and work on my old tractor and old truck get them going again.And post here more often.

Then I'll find another job and hopefully that income added to the retirement check will result in an overall increase in income.Which will enable me to putter around with some vehicles and home improvement projects.

Just wanted to share my good news with the folks here.

I retired from IBM in 2011 (their idea, not mine) and 8 months latter got another job in the same field. But I have a different attitude now and call this job my "encore career" although technically an encore career would be in a different field. While I am still expecting myself to do my job in a manner that excels, I am not looking to climb the corp. ladder.

One word of advice, continue to make progress on your hobby projects while you are considering your next step. Don't say "I do not need to finish that today because I can do it tomorrow". All of a sudden you have another job and did not get all your hobby projects completed between jobs.

Personally I find working really cuts into my hobby time.

The key to retirement is planning and money management. I find it hard to believe so many Americans made such bad financial decisions as a grown adult. Even with a bad economy you should be able to retire at 60 if you play your cards right and that's goes for non government employees.

Congratulations! I will be able to retire 8 days away from 53 on February 1, 2015. However, I probably will look at a second career in something new, different and challenging for at least another ten years after that.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: sprocketser
I m 47 & the way it s going right now , I'll never be able to have a good retirement at all .

Join the club, only government employees can retire at 48 years old these days.

I don't know what government you are talking about but I work for the Department of the Navy, have 19 years with then and still can't retire until I am 55.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back