David Lee Roth announces he is retiring

"I think he is sick and has been told he will die in the near future." We are all sick and will die in the future ,,, FYI

It's not true AFAIK, there's no reports of anything like that. I don't want to speculate on his health, some thought he might have been suffering from Parkinson's but there isn't really any evidence...

It seems he was a bit stung by the Gene Simmons statements earlier, but there is no more Van Halen and I am sure he is getting sick of auditioning new band members as they get clipped by younger acts...

I love VH with DLR or Sammy equally. DLR was the ultimate frontman, but Sammy is a far superior singer.
Subjective. However, I think if we listed Roth's and Sammy's top 20 best songs of their respective careers I suspect we'd see DLR wins the contest. Interesting thought exercise.

I think DLR had a stronger VH career, but Hagar a far stronger independent career. DLR has 6 VH albums, which almost universally folks would agree includes 3-4 of the best VH albums and maybe 2 of the best rock albums in history (VH1 and 1984). Hagar was on 4 albums ranging from very good to good/decent, but I don't think any match VH1 and 1984.

For starters, with VH, did Sammy have any hits that could match Jump, Panama, Hot for Teacher, Unchained, Ain't Talking About Love, Jamie's Crying, Runnin' with the Devil, Everybody Wants Some, Meanstreet, and Beautiful Girls? Hagar had some greats, too but IMHO Roth was overall better and also was there at the beginning and of the two more historically important for the band.

If sales amount to success/better, both singers accomplished all multi-platinum albums during their VH tenure. From Wikipedia: "
From 1974 until 1985, Van Halen consisted of Eddie Van Halen; Eddie's brother, drummer Alex Van Halen; vocalist David Lee Roth; and bassist/vocalist Michael Anthony.[6] Upon its release in 1978, the band's self-titled debut album reached No. 19 on the Billboard pop music charts and would sell over 10 million copies in the U.S. By 1982, the band released four more albums (Van Halen II, Women and Children First, Fair Warning, and Diver Down), all of which have since been certified multi-platinum. By the early 1980s, Van Halen was one of the most successful rock acts of the day.[7] The album 1984 was a commercial success with U.S. sales of 10 million copies and four hit singles; its lead single, "Jump", was the band's only U.S. number one single.

In 1985, Roth left the band to embark on a solo career and was replaced by former Montrose lead vocalist Sammy Hagar. With Hagar, the group released four U.S. number-one, multi-platinum albums over the course of 11 years (5150 in 1986, OU812 in 1988, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge in 1991, and Balance in 1995). As of March 2019, Van Halen is 20th on the RIAA list of best-selling artists in the United States; the band has sold 56 million albums in the States[8][9] and more than 80 million worldwide, making them one of the best-selling groups of all time.[10][11][12] As of 2007, Van Halen is one of only five rock bands with two studio albums to sell more than 10 million copies in the United States[13] and is tied for the most multi-platinum albums by an American band. Additionally, Van Halen has charted 13 number-one hits on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart. VH1 ranked the band seventh on a list of the top 100 Hard Rock artists of all time.[14]"

IOW, with DLR I could honestly say, "That's one of the best rock songs EVER MADE." I don't, subjectively, think that of any of Hagar's songs with VH. Not taking anything from Hagar, again he had impossible shoes to fill. Hagar was simply outstanding and accomplished more in his solo and VH career than most musicians could dream of. But DLR I think is just better. I happen to like both, equally for different reasons.

Last edited:
When Hagar joined VH they became a different type of band, their sound changed from their super-innovative precision hard rock of the early records to a much more mainstream rock band. I remember the first time I heard Why Can't This Be Love, I hated it. To be honest I still don't care very much for it now. I have the 5150 CD but only because I found it in good shape at a thrift store for $1.50 a few years ago. I have a short playlist of Van Hagar songs, but I don't listen to it that often. I much prefer Roth era VH.

I think this same phenomenon happened to Def Leppard. When Pyromania was released it was a great record but really just a stepping stone to the much more pop-oriented rock sound of Hysteria, even though the band had a hard time writing, producing and recording Hysteria and there was a three year gap between the two records. Pyromania is still a great album and so is Hysteria but to somewhat of a lesser degree. Hysteria changed Def Leppard to a very different new sound (that was also really popular and made the band a lot of money). We will never have the stunning energetic hard rock sounds of Steve Clark/Pete Willis era Leppard again. On Through The Night and High and Dry are absolute classic hard rock albums. Same as with VH, we never got that classic sound back again and it ended when DLR left and Sammy joined the band.

There are many threads online and many opinions about which VH was best. This post is my own opinion. I like the Roth VH much better. I don't really care which version of the band sold the most records or made the most money. I care about the songwriting, talent and musicianship. And for me personally that goes for any band, not just VH. I think that is the beauty of music. It only has to please the listener and the performer. If other people like it too then so much the better.

Last edited:
I found some pictures from my 35mm camera and scanned them for your enjoyment. These were taken by me with a 35mm film camera I "smuggled" into the 2002 "Sans-Halen" concert featuring DLR and Sammy. I worked my way right against the stage early in the show. It was one of the best concerts I've ever seen, and I've seen probably 30+ bands and dozens of concerts. Both artists played every song you'd ever want to hear from them, from their VH periods to their solo works. A seriously "to die for" concert I will forever rank as a best of. Both artists were really in good shape too, and DLR came out and really impressed the crowd with his showmanship, of jumps, kicks, spins, etc. He really was on his "A" game that night and I was blown away.

Here's DLR. And later, Sammy for the Hagar fans. It was a great show.
006_4.JPG
001_00.JPG
004_2.JPG
005_3.JPG
007_5.JPG
010_8.JPG
012_10.JPG
016_13A.JPG
017_14A.JPG

I remember seeing VH in 78 live after the first album came out....43 years ago.....crap im old.
Yeah I agree he does not look good and the Marlboro man ref must mean he has cancer? and has a year or less to go or so....would be my guess.
Im glad I lived when i did to see it all....it was one hell-a-va good time while it lasted...
Im surprised Motley Crue is still alive.....plus Keith....etc. I guess all those millions can keep you going a while longer when your time should have been up.

There was time, back in the 1980s, when listening to an interview with DLR ("Diamond Dave") was just the most entertaining thing imaginable. He was quite the showman back in the day. Lucky enough to catch him with VH after getting turned on to them when they put out Fair Warning.

I think DLR had a stronger VH career, but Hagar a far stronger independent career. DLR has 6 VH albums, which almost universally folks would agree includes 3-4 of the best VH albums and maybe 2 of the best rock albums in history (VH1 and 1984). Hagar was on 4 albums ranging from very good to good/decent, but I don't think any match VH1 and 1984.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think Roth's albums, especially the first two with EAS Band (Steve Vai, Billy Sheehan, and various Bissonnette's) outsold Sam's solo career. He only had one major song anyone outside diehard fans knew in ICD55 prior to Van Halen.

Funny story is that Dave, in response to Hagar **** talking him as he usually does, said that he actually helped Hagar around the time of their last album and tour with Dave through Ted Templeman asking his advice on how Sam could get around say using the line "throw my ass in jail" or whatever, because the video would never be played with profanity in it. Dave told him to record and overdub a door slamming when shooting the vid syncing it right as he says it on the track to cover it and the video did become popular....

Before working with Van Halen, Ted Templeman was in The Tikis and Harper's Bizarre. He's the one of the top far left:

He is at the age (his 67th birthday is next week) that many of us will retire by. Good for him, he was a standout front man.

Please change your title to less click bait. I saw it, and was worried he died. A more appropriate title is "David Lee Roth is retiring."

Thank you for the click bait anxiety.

ETA: I grew up on Van Halen with DLR, and later Van Hagar, seen them all in concert with both singers, and both singers on their own. All great shows. Crushed when EVH died recently. So, please change your thread title. Yes, it sucks he's retiring and may be sick. I've seen him in recent interviews and he looks very unhealthy thin, I suspect he's been ill for a long time.

ETA#2: Weird that I'm listening to Rush and the OPs icon picture is from a Rush album. Just noticed that.
Honestly why bother being anxious over things you have no control over? Many of us likely grew up listening to guys like him and clearly know the type of life they live and the usual end result. I'm kinda surprised he is even still alive, same could be said about Keith Richards and many others. The lifestyle/tour life can't go on indefinitely and after a decent number of years in public view and of course lots of $ made they should just walk away and enjoy what's left of life before they resemble a rolling stone, lmaoa...

He was interested in climbing, but from what I heard, he wasn't really a big wall climber. I heard he was more a bouldering enthusiast, but he did that cover of Skyscraper on Half Dome, where he didn't actually climb it, but rappelled down and then took a photo like he was climbing it.

51e14OQe+0L.jpg

Also - with the video for Just Like Paradise he filmed it with one shot at the top of Lost Arrow Spire. None of the video shows him free climbing, but aid climbing where everything is already set up and he's just pulling himself up and not actually climbing the rock. And even then I've been to Yosemite where one of the park rangers was an avid climber. Had a ton of respect for Alex Honnold (who at the time hadn't free soloed El Capitan, but threw a lot of shade at David Lee Roth. Said something about people thinking he actually climbed up, but she said something like "Nah - he was mostly pulled up by his climbing guides."

An update tonight, DLR's entire Vegas residency has been cancelled. I still think he is sick, maybe with that thing we don't mention here, or his crew and/or band have it or maybe a combination of all of them have it. It's also possible he is sick with some other problem but I doubt he would be tweeting/face booking if he was that ill. Maybe he just does not want to catch the thing that can not be named here but I don't get why he would not just say so instead of being so ambiguous about it. Lots of other bands have had to cancel because of that thing and they had no problem in saying so. Privacy concerns, I guess. It's none of my business anyway. Luckily I have VH and DLR albums to listen to anytime I want. I hope DLR and his crew are all OK.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-lee-roth-farewell-residency-canceled/

An update tonight, DLR's entire Vegas residency has been cancelled. I still think he is sick, maybe with that thing we don't mention here, or his crew and/or band have it or maybe a combination of all of them have it. It's also possible he is sick with some other problem but I doubt he would be tweeting/face booking if he was that ill. Maybe he just does not want to catch the thing that can not be named here but I don't get why he would not just say so instead of being so ambiguous about it. Lots of other bands have had to cancel because of that thing and they had no problem in saying so. Privacy concerns, I guess. It's none of my business anyway. Luckily I have VH and DLR albums to listen to anytime I want. I hope DLR and his crew are all OK.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-lee-roth-farewell-residency-canceled/

Roth probably has back issues along with his knees, shoulders, spleen, nose, ankles, interior fibula, etc. But this is more about C-19, one of his band members got sick...

On Rogan's excellent interview with Roth, Roth confirmed that he worked as an EMT in NY. So from the horses mouth this is confirmed. If you want to check it find the Rogan interview, which I've seen and is somewhere on Youtube.
I can personally confirm that DLR worked as an EMT in the south Bronx because I ran in with him a few times when I was with the FDNY. This would have been around 2006 or 2007. (NYC EMS is now part of the FDNY).

Last edited:
I can personally confirm that DLR worked as an EMT in the south Bronx because I ran in with him a few times when I was with the FDNY. (NYC EMS is now part of the FDNY).

Was he a good EMT ?

Since this thread has kicked up, Billy Sheehan the bassist for Dave's initial Eat 'Em and Smile Band recently said he has an entire pro-shot video of a performance from that era (86-87). It would be sweet if that could be released but not holding my breath...

Back