My poor truck

Maybe I'm an enabler or just stupid. I felt bad for them. I don't know how people get like that and I hope if it were me someone would be kind. I had them out if the car, calmed down, dogs gathered up and glass cleaned up before the Sherriff and Trooper got there. Trooper "Where is the driver of the truck? Are they ok?" I said He is me. You are calm! I said once you put out a fire on a submerged Submarine everything else is routine. He said fair enough. Told him I was camping with my travel trailer. He said was that the truck that got it here? I said no I always bring two trucks. He had to walk to his car to laugh.
I understand. You sound like a good person with their heart in the right place.

My concern here is you will get taken advantage of. Sadly this happens all too often to good people.

Hopefully your insurance company makes it whole, either in the form of a reasonable payout (which you should negotiate and include tax and dealer fees for replacement vehicle), or repairing your existing truck in a satisfactory manner.

As for the "$200 Subaru" it's probably stolen and the folks driving it have a long history of bad decisions. I sympathize to an extent, I seem to make one bad decision after another. But I have never driven a stolen or questionably acquired car. And never driven without license or uninsured. That's a huge issue here in CA, uninsured, unlicensed drivers. Just makes insurance more expensive for us that do pay sadly.

If USAA elects to repair the truck, in Washington State you are entitle to be compensated for "diminution of value" as you will not be able to sell the vehicle for the same amount after it is repaired. You are legally required to report the accident when you sell it, plus it usually get placed on title record, so it affects the future sale price.

If USAA elects to repair the truck, in Washington State you are entitle to be compensated for "diminution of value" as you will not be able to sell the vehicle for the same amount after it is repaired. You are legally required to report the accident when you sell it, plus it usually get placed on title record, so it affects the future sale price.
It will show up on carfax, but the kids truck was wrecked and it has a clean title.

This is a good point but make sure your uninsured motorist coverage allows you to make a first party DV claim. Most policies/states do not allow for this. Hopefully OP can recover some DV in Washington.

As for the "$200 Subaru" it's probably stolen and the folks driving it have a long history of bad decisions. I sympathize to an extent, I seem to make one bad decision after another. But I have never driven a stolen or questionably acquired car. And never driven without license or uninsured. That's a huge issue here in CA, uninsured, unlicensed drivers. Just makes insurance more expensive for us that do pay sadly.
Probably not "stolen" as in hotwired in the middle of the night, but "stolen" as in someone stopped making payments and the bank wrote it off, so the current party bought it for $200 and put their old plates on it without doing ANY paperwork. If the bank felt like doing the paperwork they'd go to court and officially call it theirs, but IDK how often they do that for old clunkers.

I understand. You sound like a good person with their heart in the right place.

My concern here is you will get taken advantage of. Sadly this happens all too often to good people.

Hopefully your insurance company makes it whole, either in the form of a reasonable payout (which you should negotiate and include tax and dealer fees for replacement vehicle), or repairing your existing truck in a satisfactory manner.

His insurance company is one of the better ones. He won't get taken advantage of more than anyone else in this situation dealing with an insurance company. They will in all likelihood fix that truck. Then the question becomes- used, off shore, or OEM parts. And that quite frankly depends on the verbiage of his policy.

His insurance company is one of the better ones. He won't get taken advantage of more than anyone else in this situation dealing with an insurance company. They will in all likelihood fix that truck. Then the question becomes- used, off shore, or OEM parts. And that quite frankly depends on the verbiage of his policy.
USAA warntties the repair for life and they specify OEM. If they can get good quality used or even aftermarket, I'm good with it. I know what is done to the truck and would like to keep it

I'll tell you right now that USAA is no longer the premium insurance company that many here have alluded to.
If the other driver is at fault, and it's USAA going after the other insurance company they are still good. If USAA is paying, they will only authorize the cheapest used or chineseium parts available.
How do I know this? I'm a 50 year USAA customer. Another USAA driver came around the corner and smashed my parked pristine 2002 Z-28. The number of poor quality, damaged or mismatched parts that USAA required in the rebuild were astounding. After multiple trips back to the body shop and involving the regional adjustor I gave up. Happened about 10 years ago and I still refuse to drive that car. It sits in the driveway.

USAA warntties the repair for life and they specify OEM. If they can get good quality used or even aftermarket, I'm good with it. I know what is done to the truck and would like to keep it
Personally-I don't think there is anything wrong with a "good quality" used or aftermarket part. I mean-the truck has "used parts" on it now...

Nothing usually. Might get a ticket for failure to yield or blocking a road. That's about it. And our guy that has all his ducks in a row loses a very expensive truck if it's totaled. If it gets fixed he has to look at the imperfections the body shop missed, higher insurance etc.
So what happens with the other driver, does he get a ticket? Does his license get taken away?

Back