My poor truck

I couldnt agree more. The term accident is so overworked. It implies that both parties did everything in their power (including having the correct documentation) to prevent duress to the other parties property and their peace of mind. Driving into another’s property recklessly (4tickets) without the proper documentation is NOT an accident, it’s a reckless collision. Infuriating.
Yea-it's all you described-except he didn't mean to run in to the truck-hence "accident". No where in the OP's post did he say it was an "intentional act".

I did one hit almost just like this a few years ago, the front frame rails are replaceable and much of the inner fender is part of the fender itself. Up here these truck are use in snow plow duty and the can be subjected to some big hits with an idiot driver. The front part of the frame is designed to be replaced.

Check these out and see if these have the damage you are seeing.

That is hopeful!

That is hopeful!
It is. Check the FSM for how to verify the frame. I assume the radiator and condenser are ruined? Did the radiator make it into the engine fan?

There is a reasonable chance they’re ok. I got into an accident with my 2wd 96 Cummins two years ago and the radiator was smashed into the FSM but the condenser and lines were ok. Swapped the radiator and the whole thing works perfect to this day. I do need to replace two fenders and a hood (if only I have time). Truck is completely drivable all the same!

The big concern I’d have now seeing those fender to door lines is trying to avoid door skin damage when opening and closing. Especially if they want to total it and you want to repair, avoiding collateral damage.

And be ready to fight.

@ls1mike, man I’m sorry. ive got Usaa and they’ve always been good to me. maybe I don’t get every completion perfectly done to my wants, but they’ve always come through and dealt with things and handled it well enough. I’ve been with them for almost 30 years. But I didn’t pop up to say that…

first, I’m glad you and your family is ok. I’m also glad you aren’t carrying the memory of the other driver/occupant being injured in the collision. Truly, however, your compassion for their condition, understanding of the reality that they likely don’t have much money to give, and not making your *identity* about getting “just rewards” here is respectable and shows character. Unfortunate. Yes. Inconvenienced, greatly. Unfair, yes. i don’t want to downplay the impacts this has on you, but certainly want to point out that you don’t get to see the true character of someone until they are under pressure, duress, etc.. High regards for your character and conduct, sir.

-m

@ls1mike, man I’m sorry. ive got Usaa and they’ve always been good to me. maybe I don’t get every completion perfectly done to my wants, but they’ve always come through and dealt with things and handled it well enough. I’ve been with them for almost 30 years. But I didn’t pop up to say that…

first, I’m glad you and your family is ok. I’m also glad you aren’t carrying the memory of the other driver/occupant being injured in the collision. Truly, however, your compassion for their condition, understanding of the reality that they likely don’t have much money to give, and not making your *identity* about getting “just rewards” here is respectable and shows character. Unfortunate. Yes. Inconvenienced, greatly. Unfair, yes. i don’t want to downplay the impacts this has on you, but certainly want to point out that you don’t get to see the true character of someone until they are under pressure, duress, etc.. High regards for your character and conduct, sir.

-m
Meep I appreciate the kind words. I try to treat others the best I can as I don't know their situation. I really only know mine. I will get through this easy enough, either a new to me truck or this one fixed and returned in 3 to 4 months. I'll be honest I'm so glad they were not hurt. Would have made it horrible.

As to USAA, maybe not as good as they used to be, but by far and large the best insurance company I have ever dealt with.

Driving an untitled vehicle while carrying the title for another opens another can of worms and may bring to light a case of RSP, which can be prosecuted as either an F4 or F5 in Ohio.
I'm in Ohio but have no idea what this means? What is "carrying the title"? RSP? F4? F5?

I'm in Ohio but have no idea what this means? What is "carrying the title"? RSP? F4? F5?
No title for the vehicle being operated so no valid registration for the vehicle. This often happens when a car is not legally in the possession of the user/driver, although innocent neglect is certainly a possibility with a very low value vehicle.
If the vehicle was stolen then the driver/user can be charged with Receiving Stolen Property, although not larceny unless it can be shown that the driver/user in fact participated in any theft. RSP can be prosecuted as a felony of the fourth or fifth degree, so a low-level felony.

Last edited:
Well it won't be totaled. I talked to the body shop. Unless the repair is more than the value of the truck then it gets fixed. They think about 22,000 dollars. It is valued at over 40,000. They said even if they have to replace the frame it won't exceed the value of the truck. I am pretty certain they mentioned that for a reason... F' ing thing will never be right again. I am a little angry about it this morning. I am going to fight with USAA to paint the bed too as they are painting the complete front of the truck. USAA did send me the paper work for diminished value before I even asked about it.

Replace the frame? It would have to be pretty bad to consider doing that. Sorry but it sounds like they figure they have a cash cow they can milk. I would ask the insurance company to scrutinize the damage.

Replace the frame? It would have to be pretty bad to consider doing that. Sorry but it sounds like they figure they have a cash cow they can milk. I would ask the insurance company to scrutinize the damage.
They said it was bent at the passenger side shock tower mount. As I am over 2 hours away I cannot verify it.

So what happens with the other driver, does he get a ticket? Does his license get taken away?
Can tell you what would happen when I was a Trooper.
At fault driver would get loaded up with as many cites as I could dream up. Reg, insurance, license, no wind on the windshield, no gloves in the glove box, failure to top off blinker fluid. Vehicle would be towed and stored. Release from storage required current registration and proof of insurance. So basically the driver would be without a car because IF they complied with the requirements to get the car back it would have been in storage for so long that the storage fees would be more than the vehicle was worth.
Does that do anything for the person who got hit? No. But it is an expensive lesson and takes at least one menace off the road.

At fault driver would get loaded up with as many cites as I could dream up. Reg, insurance, license, no wind on the windshield, no gloves in the glove box, failure to top off blinker fluid. Vehicle would be towed and stored. Release from storage required current registration and proof of insurance. So basically the driver would be without a car because IF they complied with the requirements to get the car back it would have been in storage for so long that the storage fees would be more than the vehicle was worth.
Does that do anything for the person who got hit? No. But it is an expensive lesson and takes at least one menace off the road.
i can tell you were one of those tough but fair troopers. threw the book and cut people slack when either were warranted.

Sorry to hear about this. It’s always a disadvantage when we have something in above average condition and it’s a loss.

Same scenario with a buddy driving his mom’s car. Other party no license either. Cops took report and guy drives away in unregistered uninsured vehicle. Never knew that were possible. Pennsylvania and phila metro. Buddy was livid to no avail. It’s like we live in a world of lawlessness.

Bravo. And I wouldn’t mind if you slapped the guy around like Detective Logan or Detective Curtis did in the 90’s (I get it today you better not raise your voice to a law breaker or you’ll be sued).

Bravo. And I wouldn’t mind if you slapped the guy around like Detective Logan or Detective Curtis did in the 90’s (I get it today you better not raise your voice to a law breaker or you’ll be sued).
Ha! Oh, I can assure you I raised my voice often.
But you are right. Times have changed and not for the better. When I was given the opportunity to retire early I took it.

Sorry to hear about this. It’s always a disadvantage when we have something in above average condition and it’s a loss.

Same scenario with a buddy driving his mom’s car. Other party no license either. Cops took report and guy drives away in unregistered uninsured vehicle. Never knew that were possible. Pennsylvania and phila metro. Buddy was livid to no avail. It’s like we live in a world of lawlessness.
This happens more often than you might think.
Basically comes down to a manning issue and knowing what the police agency and legal system in the area will accept.
I stopped many people without valid insurance, license, reg. Sometimes just one violation, sometimes all. It comes down to a decision on scene and a lot of variables come into play. How many other cops on shift at the time? Time of day? (rush hour, week day/weekend)? Weather? Etc.
Calling for a tow, on a good day, is going to take the cop "off the road" for 30 mins to an hour. Are there other cops available to pick up calls that may come in? As a Trooper in a big city if I towed every vehicle with these "minor" violations I would get nothing else done and the other Troops on my squad would have my head.
So, you run background on driver and vehicle, why was the car stopped, how bad crash, etc. and then make the decision. If the driver is a menace or has a history than sure, hem him/her up. But a kid, or a how about a lady who's family is living day to day? Don't get me wrong, everyone should follow the law, but what do you do on the scene?
I've worked many crashes where the victim was incensed because they felt I handled it wrong. Most want the other driver burned at the stake and ashes thrown in the wind. I understood the frustration and understood that that was probably the worst thing that person ever had to deal with but in the grand scheme of things for the cop on scene it was very minor.

Well it won't be totaled. I talked to the body shop. Unless the repair is more than the value of the truck then it gets fixed. They think about 22,000 dollars. It is valued at over 40,000. They said even if they have to replace the frame it won't exceed the value of the truck. I am pretty certain they mentioned that for a reason... F' ing thing will never be right again. I am a little angry about it this morning. I am going to fight with USAA to paint the bed too as they are painting the complete front of the truck. USAA did send me the paper work for diminished value before I even asked about it.
A good body shop can fix it up just as good as brand new. Pick out a very good auto body shop and you will turn out just fine. Trucks get hit just like yours all the time. I know it's difficult to wait and have it repaired however a good shop should have that finished in a couple weeks very easily and then it will be over and forgotten about. Try to get insurance to pay for a similar truck for you to rent and drive on their dime. They probably will not do that but it's worth a try. You can get that on your own policy however some people do not have that enhancement. I have at different times however in my case with 4 vehicles it's just not worth the extra money.

A good body shop can fix it up just as good as brand new. Pick out a very good auto body shop and you will turn out just fine. Trucks get hit just like yours all the time. I know it's difficult to wait and have it repaired however a good shop should have that finished in a couple weeks very easily and then it will be over and forgotten about. Try to get insurance to pay for a similar truck for you to rent and drive on their dime. They probably will not do that but it's worth a try. You can get that on your own policy however some people do not have that enhancement. I have at different times however in my case with 4 vehicles it's just not worth the extra money.
They are talking frame replacement and 2 to 3 months. Truck will never be right again.

Back