My Platinum Ultra & Amsoil Strategy...any opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
New here, I just completed my 2 initial free oil changes from my dealership for my 2009 Nissan Rogue at approximately 5000 & 10,000 miles. The dealership used vavoline durablend 5w-30. During the summer I was pleasantly surprised to find Amsoil 5w-30 at my local hardware store. Since I read so many good things about Amsoil throughout the years, I thought I stock up on it and try some in my vehicle. The only thing that stopped me in the past is because I could not find it at any store. I won't say how much I paid for it because I don't want to upset people in here because some like the cost effective approach which I don't have a problem. I'm not saying I have money to burn but I have the philosophy where I don't mind spending a few dollars to protect a $25,000 investment. I am also planning to do the longer OCI since I am getting older and want to spend lest time under the car. Moreover, I know one thing, people would jump at me if they knew the REALLY HIGH PREMIUM PRICE I paid but like I said I will use it for a long interval. So I hope people respect that.

Changed oil for over 16 years on a Nissan Maxima and now I really prefer longer intervals.

Well I just saw the pictures of the Murano in here and it made me paranoid so I went to look under the oil cap to see if it looks bad. Well it still looks new and clean.

So with a little close to 4000 miles on my dealer provided oil change, I decided to get my engine ready for synthetic oil since I been breaking the engine in for almost 14,000 miles. I drive 6 miles in morning but 20-30 mile cumulative for the day in the city. I consider my self as feather footed but definitely not a Sunday Driver. I coast to stop signs and lights by preparing for obstacles ahead of time. No jack rabbits but I did in the beginning to break the engine in and set the rings. Overall not heavy footed and I drive like there is a glass of water on my dashboard. Vehicle accelerates nicely so don't picture me as a slow dirver by no means.

Here's the thing, I decided to clean my engine even more by using Penzzoil Platinum Ultra before starting the Asmoil. Out of a half dozen Wal-marts in my area there was ONE Wal-mart that had the 5 quart jugs. I was so surprised since I been going to AutoZone and Wal-mart trying to find the rare Ultra. But they had a bunch at this particular Wal-mart.

So yesterday I changed my oil with 5w-30 PP Ultra and used a Bosch D3323 extended oil filter. I plan to keep it in for 10,000 miles.

After my engine is sparkling clean with the PP Ultra treament, I plan to use the Amsoil 5w-30 for 15,000-20,000 miles and changing a Bosch D3323 filter at 10,000 mile intervals. And top-up with Amsoil if needed throughout.

I think I will be okay and I am not the type to test my oil. Not too worried about my warranty or paranoid about my car sludging anytime soon. Do't get me wrong, I wash and clean my care and maintain it all the time but after reading all the forums on the internet I have high confidence about Penzzoil Platinum Ultra, Amsoil and Bosch oil filters (which seem to be a a better version of the Puralator PureOne's.) working their magic to protect my car. I am not lazy I just believe that these oils can last and it will be better for the environment and even save me money in the long run.

As for not worrying about my warranty, the reason I am not worried is that by the time I have an oil related issue the warranty will be long gone.

For example, the only oil related issue on my Nissan Maxima was on the 16th year which was an oil leak and not because of an oil damaged engine.

Any opinions?

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Looks like you have it figured out to your satisfaction, and that's all that is important.

I'm not 100% sure that PU is really good for 10K miles. Pennzoil only recommends it to the manufacturer's specified OCI, so you want to be sure that your planned 10k OCI does not exceed it.

If it were me using Pennzoil for a cleaning cycle to prep for Amsoil, I'd probably limit it to 3k. But probably a wasste of a relatively pricey premium oil for that short an interval, but if money is not a concern that is what I'd do.

Vic

If you're not concerned about your warranty, then what you plan is fine.

But...just a thought:

Instead of going 15-20k miles on Amsoil and doing a filter change and top up, why not just run the Amsoil out to about 12-13k, and do a full change? Just saves you some more time under the car.

The way I look at it, if you're going to put the car up, get under it, pop the filter off, deal with the oil flow, put a new filter on, then check and top-up the oil, why not just do a full change?

It's pretty well the same amount of work!!!

welcome2.gif

You want to protect your $25,000 investment? I'd buy Ultra or Edge and change it twice a year. Especially after seeing the mess in that Murano, after only 15K miles. Neglected or not, it sticks in my mind. Getting under a car twice a year isn't a bad thing, it gives you time to check other things out as well. JMO

Originally Posted By: VicL
Pennzoil only recommends it to the manufacturer's specified OCI.
Vic

So does every other oil out there with the starburst symbol, as far as I know. It's to cover them.

I run Platinum for 10k

I don't know about that, Mobil 1 EP says right on the label that it is good for up to 15k miles. If Mobil can make that claim, then PU should too, if the oil is designed to last that long.

Not arguing against PU as a good oil, I'm running it now in my Accord, but I plan to change it well before 10k

Vic

You said this was city miles? 20K miles in city = ouch. Even with an oil top up and filter change. If this is your investment, best to change the oil more frequently, IMHO. AMSOIL is a fine, fine product. So is Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra. Top shelf, all 3 of them. But honestly, I'd be a little nervous about 20K city miles on any oil without an oil analysis somewhere. And I'd love to see the analysis at the end (and pics, and details, and what you changed it to, and what the filter looked like, and...)
wink.gif

Your car is almost 2 year old with only 14k miles, that means your yearly mileage is about 7-8k miles.

Your 20-30 miles a day of mostly city driving is semi-severe.

Almost all oil, Amsoil included, has time limit. Therefore I would stay with Pennzoil (Ultra or Platinum) for 10k/12mo oil change interval with Bosch Premium filter 3323.

If you drive about 15-25k miles a year then I would use Amsoil SSO and Bosch Distance Plus D3323 for a yearly change of both oil and filter.

I would not go 2+ years on any oil for a semi-severe driving.

Just choose Amsoil and change your oil once a year. All will be well. No need to flush and clean.

You made your statement about warranty. I read it, seemed clear enough to me. Those folks and their "worry" about your warranty, while probably well meaning, are sometimes overplaying that card. Some have their reasons for bringing it up. Extended oil changes will not void your entire warranty. We can just end that one right here. If someone tells you this, they don't know what they are talking about. You won't void you radio, tranny, exhaust, FI or wheel bearing warranty for doing extended OCI's. Where it gets more murky is in your engine. You still won't even void your engine warranty unless of course the oil does the actual harm.

Again, once a year with SSO 0W-30 and you will be fine.

Originally Posted By: VicL
I don't know about that, Mobil 1 EP says right on the label that it is good for up to 15k miles. If Mobil can make that claim, then PU should too, if the oil is designed to last that long.

Not arguing against PU as a good oil, I'm running it now in my Accord, but I plan to change it well before 10k

Vic

I happen to have a bottle of Mobil 1 5W-20EP setting here in my dirty little hands.

Here is exactly what it says on the back of the bottle.

"Proven protection of critical engine parts from lubricant related failure for 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.*"

Notice the * as this is very important. Further down where the * is, it states the following.

"*Excludes severe service applications involving racing and commercial use, frequent towing or heavy hauling, extremely dusty or dirty conditions, or excessive idling. If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in you owner's manual."

Hi, Casperfun, glad you came here to get some information (I am missing my name in my avatar as I screwed up my signing in on this forum, but, yes, that is me, Pescakl1).

As for your OCI, like some said here, you are border line severe service with your commute.

Just to give you an idea on how our engine is on oil, here is an UOA report on PP (closest thing to PU you are using). Remember mine was on a 70 miles commute (almost all highway drive), made during a 6 months period.
My UOA report here.

As you can see, there was still plenty of life left in the oil (TBN of more than 5), so yes, 10k miles OCIs with this engine is doable,... but not in more than 6 months.

As you can see with our engine, it moves the nitration level really high (it has been flagged each time in my 7.5k miles UOAs, but I never got an answer here about what is the problem with that).
But since it is flagged, it shouldn't be that good, right?

So, as contrary as the Murano engine (the VQ35 series), our engine (the QR25 series) is quite easy on oil, but time is the limitation for us. After some time in the car, the oil get some residues which, with time, could be detrimental to the engine (Reason why Nitration has been flagged, I believe).

As for recommendations, I don't know what to say except that you bought too expensive oils for your car and commute.
PYB every 6 months would have been enough for you.

I know you are not a big fan of UOAs, but if you want to extend your OCIs, I would invest in 1 or 2 UOAs to know if what you do is safe for your engine or not.

Welcome to BITOG.
All of the oils you mentioned are very good oils and should serve your needs very well.
Your arguement that "oil related problems don't show up until well after the warranty period is over", is compelling.
Myself and others have not used Amsoil because of warranty issues. good post. thanks for sharing.

My opinion,if you're really a sport,is to run the Amsoil and change it 2x per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back