My order of pump gas preference

Status
Not open for further replies.
My order of pump gas preference if price is not a factor

1. Chevron/Texaco - definite PEA detergent
2. BP - yeah I know they are an [censored] company, but I hear they have good detergents. Detergent identity unknown.
3. Shell - heard too many problems with Shell, so third place for them. Detergent identity unknown.

Last edited:
Haven't heard about any issues with Shell - I prefer them over Mobil, but only slightly. We don't have any Chev/Tex around here, and BP is scarce, so my list is:

1. Shell
2. Mobil
3. Sunoco

I've logged my car on all three, and don't see much change. I do see the least learned knock on Shell, so that's what I stick with.

Since in this area the stations like to put a credit card surcharge, I go where the credit price is best (penfed 5% cash back) and closer to the cash prices in most stations.

They usually turns into a shell or valero. Unfortunately we havent had texaco in years.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
We don't have any Chev/Tex around here,

I don't either. My list is purely theoretical LOL.

Practically speaking, I fill up with BP.

Shell gas is ridiculously priced around here. Though I wouldn't even use it if it was the same price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
#1 cheap gas which around here is Kroger before that it was walmart.
#2 see number 1

13.gif

1. Speedway: Convenience, have their CC for additional Speedy Award Points, high volume of fuel through station I frequent, generally cheapest in town where I live, honor Kroger 3 cent discount.

2. Kroger: Somewhat inconvenient to get to, generally pricier but if hit at the right time and I have fuel points, can be a contender. Same thing with Turkey Hill but if I need a car wash, I go there because they have been giving a $.20 discount per gallon if one purchases carwash.

3. Giant Eagle GetGo: Located in southern end of county so only go there for groceries. Let FuelPerks accrue until they = price of gas and then take pickup + empty gas cans for 30 gallons of free gas.

4.Costco: Same area as GetGo, prices decent, will fill up if I am in neighborhood and need fuel. New detergent formulation with 5x detergent is the Bees Knees IMO. My cars run as well on that as they do on Shell or any of the above.

** Any of these choices can be overridden at any time by Siri or Gas Buddy.com due to better pricing. Closest Shell to me is 12.5 mi in either direction and I'm not driving 25 miles to fill my car with the only "TOP TIER" offering in my area of the state. Always Pay @ Pump with a rewards CC for additional savings.

Costco Kirkland Signature 93 Octane. Always as low or lower, always maintains the $.20 spread over regular, high level of detergency claimed, MS3 runs great on it. Oh yeah, 3% rebate when it's all done. I will occasionally fill with Shell V-Power and notice no difference.

I was using Gulf a lot with no issues. About 6 of em by me got bought out by Shell. Jacked the price and surcharged the credit card so -- F them.

Using Hess a lot now. Cheaper prices and credit card is same as cash.

Only one I stay away from is Mobil. Pure hate even thought I use their Mobil 1. Oil is some dollars, but gas over the years is a huge amount of money.

Speedway for me , 3 within 2 miles from my apt , 7 cent discount on premium if you buy/recharge their gas card and generally the lowest price with a 10 cent spread b/w grades

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I was using Gulf a lot with no issues. About 6 of em by me got bought out by Shell. Jacked the price and surcharged the credit card so -- F them.

Using Hess a lot now. Cheaper prices and credit card is same as cash.

Only one I stay away from is Mobil. Pure hate even thought I use their Mobil 1. Oil is some dollars, but gas over the years is a huge amount of money.

What? There are TONS of equivalent or better oils, so why use any Mobil products if you truly hate them???

Shell
BP
Exxon/Mobil

The Camaro get's 91 octane Shell V-Power along with 2 oz. of MMO every fill up.
The Alero get's a 50/50 mix of Shell 87 octane with up to 10% ethanol and V-Power 91 octane to make a 89 octane of up to only 5% ethanol, also get's 2 oz. of MMO every fill up.

I used to use only Shell up until the end of 2011. Then the Shell station near me became $0.05 more per gallon compared to the Meijer, Valero, and Mobil station near me. They are all at the same intersection. Plus the Shell card stopped the rebate program. Now I fillup at Mobil for a couple of reasons.

1. Same price as the Meijer and Valero.
2. Top Tier
3. Got the Speed pass device. Faster then credit card, very convenient.
4. Its a busy station with lots of pumps. Always see gas trucks there so fresh fuel.

Canada's different of course. For me, it's Esso, Petro-Canada, and Husky/Mohawk, in no particular order, depending upon what's got the best incentive going. If there were no differences whatsoever in marketing strategy, I'd probably go Esso, but I have no particular preference. Shell would work dandy, too.

I used to care about the brand on the sign.
I no longer do, and I don't think my cars ever did.
What matters more to me than brand is identifying those
price zones that are consistently lower in those areas through which I typically drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back