My new favorite: Mobil 1 0W/30 AFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I own mostly GM vehicles and use Mobil 1 5W/30 EP or HM in them, I do have a RAM 4x4 Limited Hemi 5.7 and a '14 Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland 3.6L. It is with these 2 Chrysler models that I decided to NOT run the recommended 5W/20 since 5W/30 is okay also. I was running Mobil 1 5w/30 in the Jeep since we got it and just getting this RAM earlier this year I decided to "split the oil weight" a little between the 5/20 and 5w/30 so I started running M1 AFE 0w/30 in the RAM. I like the oil, seems to be working for me so I am going to change over to 0w/30 in the Jeep as well. Just changed the RAM yesterday and will send off to Blackstone for their review. Oil has 8614 miles. OLM still had 18% left. I usually do 5-6000 mile changes so this is very long for me!

So any opinions on this oil? I have read that it is a boosted formula and might have a stronger add pack, but all heresay.

Last edited:
I did the same thing, I decided not to use the 5W20 Chrysler recommended and went with PU 5W30 which meets the MS6395 spec. I think you'll be fine with your choice.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I did the same thing, I decided not to use the 5W20 Chrysler recommended and went with PU 5W30 which meets the MS6395 spec. I think you'll be fine with your choice.

Good point - the Chrysler spec is not mentioned for M1 products except for the Super Syn.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Its a good oil IMO

Marketing still sells i see :^)

Lol, yes I suppose. I've been using M1 oils since around 1985. I do also use SuperTech and other brands too here and there.

I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L with 145,000 miles. It burns a little oil between OLM changes at about 7000 miles. I find it burns the most with M1 0W-30, a bit less with 5W-30 and much less with HM 5W-30. I also recently got a clearance deal on jugs of PP 10-30 and it burns similar to the M1 HM.

I have some Mobil 1 0w30 AFE in my stash, the older bottles have the Chrysler MS-6395 approval on them.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
While I own mostly GM vehicles and use Mobil 1 5W/30 EP or HM in them, I do have a RAM 4x4 Limited Hemi 5.7 and a '14 Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland 3.6L. It is with these 2 Chrysler models that I decided to NOT run the recommended 5W/20 since 5W/30 is okay also. I was running Mobil 1 5w/30 in the Jeep since we got it and just getting this RAM earlier this year I decided to "split the oil weight" a little between the 5/20 and 5w/30 so I started running M1 AFE 0w/30 in the RAM. I like the oil, seems to be working for me so I am going to change over to 0w/30 in the Jeep as well. Just changed the RAM yesterday and will send off to Blackstone for their review. Oil has 8614 miles. OLM still had 18% left. I usually do 5-6000 mile changes so this is very long for me!

So any opinions on this oil? I have read that it is a boosted formula and might have a stronger add pack, but all heresay.

Is your Ram the 1500 or 2500 series?

The 2500 doesn't have MDS so that is why it is recommended to run 5W-30, plus, as the size suggests, that truck will be used for hauling and towing heavy loads.
Also, the Hemi in the 2500 is different than in the 1500 as it only has 383 H/P compared to the 395 H/P in the 1500 series trucks.

I have always stuck with the recommended Pennzoil PP or PUP in the 5W-20 grade and never had a problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint

Good point - the Chrysler spec is not mentioned for M1 products except for the Super Syn.

Yes, which is one of the reasons I went with Pennzoil.

Originally Posted by Indydriver
I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L with 145,000 miles. It burns a little oil between OLM changes at about 7000 miles. I find it burns the most with M1 0W-30, a bit less with 5W-30 and much less with HM 5W-30. I also recently got a clearance deal on jugs of PP 10-30 and it burns similar to the M1 HM.

I have had the same experience with the AFM 0w-30 in my F150 plus the engine was very noisy. It seems to like the HM 10w-30 and it stopped a rear main seal Iv'e had for years.

Its a good oil IMO

Lol, yes I suppose. I've been using M1 oils since around 1985. I do also use SuperTech and other brands too here and there.

Im sorry if I offended you. I use any oil that's on sale and with a rebate. M1 0w30 is in lady friends 2011 Chrysler 200 without issue
smile.gif

Its a good oil IMO

Im sorry if I offended you. I use any oil that's on sale and with a rebate. M1 0w30 is in lady friends 2011 Chrysler 200 without issue
smile.gif

No offense taken at all! We all know that really any decent oil, when changed properly. will carry an engine out to 100k miles ++ without issue.

Originally Posted by irv

Is your Ram the 1500 or 2500 series?

The 2500 doesn't have MDS so that is why it is recommended to run 5W-30, plus, as the size suggests, that truck will be used for hauling and towing heavy loads.
Also, the Hemi in the 2500 is different than in the 1500 as it only has 383 H/P compared to the 395 H/P in the 1500 series trucks.

I have always stuck with the recommended Pennzoil PP or PUP in the 5W-20 grade and never had a problem.

1500 series. Good points you make.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
0W used in Texas is not needed. Many there run 10W. Unless your vehicle requires something like 0W16 or 0W20, I really don't see any gain.

I agree with you. I was just "splitting the difference" between the recommended 5w/20 and 5w/30 I liked to run. If I still lived in MD the 0W would definitely make more sense temp wise but in any case - oil getting to your motor quicker is a benefit to reduce start-up wear. How much quicker between a 0W and a 5W is probably negligible.

Originally Posted by Indydriver

The '06 Denali Pickup that was replaced by this RAM went to my son. The 6.0L has 153k trouble free miles and has yet to burn any oil. It used Mobil 1 it's entire life. Went to M1 EP around 70k miles then to HM at 100k miles. Only used 5W/30 and 5-6000 mile OCI. It is common for the 5.3L in your truck to use a little oil. Thanks for your input and others who mentioned PP oil as a choice to consider and maybe just sticking with 5w/30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back