Scrap Subaru
Drive this.

????
OR

FIX the Subaru...

Then Sell/give away the Subaru.

??????

Something is wrong with this one.

Well yeah, it has 200k. You're looking at a pretty low price point. I don't think anything with super high mileage is going to be reliable, maybe get one or two years out of it before you're looking at another 1k car.

About $3k over OP's budget.
Yeah, didn't realize it was that low. Hard to find anything good at that price range. They might come down $500-$1000, but probably not anywhere near 3k.

OR

FIX the Subaru...

Then Sell/give away the Subaru.

??????
It's clear that you can't afford that. Just keep it until you have 2-5k saved up for a car that will last you 3-5 years. It costs more money switching cars every year than hanging onto for a while. I've only owned a few cars, I've had them for 5-12 years before getting rid of them. I had a 2001 Taurus SEL which I bought in 2004 for 10k and it lasted me 12 years.

Well yeah, it has 200k. You're looking at a pretty low price point. I don't think anything with super high mileage is going to be reliable, maybe get one or two years out of it before you're looking at another 1k car.

Yeah, didn't realize it was that low. Hard to find anything good at that price range. They might come down $500-$1000, but probably not anywhere near 3k.

It's clear that you can't afford that. Just keep it until you have 2-5k saved up for a car that will last you 3-5 years. It costs more money switching cars every year than hanging onto for a while. I've only owned a few cars, I've had them for 5-12 years before getting rid of them. I had a 2001 Taurus SEL which I bought in 2004 for 10k and it lasted me 12 years.
Now, see.. that's why, if I find a car that's good to me, I'm keeping it forever.

Somebody straight up jacked my H6 last year, I don't talk about that because honest to goodness it makes me want to .. yeah you know what I shouldn't say. Very bad. Very very bad. I do realize that people don't know I've had this "perfect for me" car and honestly had some very unfortunate events take place. It is all I can do to not be bitter.

Aside from the Magic 8-ball, see above for my experience with the 06 Ford Focus and how that one has not a single issue at 125k miles and how I gifted it to..... So hopefully that should shed soe more context on how

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.

If I DO end up getting this car it's not because you all told me not to. If that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. So you're saying.. it's guaranteed to have a problem?
Yes ANY 27 year old car will have issues whether its a Ferrari or a Honda or a Bentley. If you a set on buying it fine buy it, but be prepared to be driving Mom's Taurus on a regular basis while your "perfect condition" car is down getting fixed. A some more advice run a Carfax and a full vehicle title search on the car. Oh and one final thing you will have to insure the vehicle, if youwant to carry full coverage look at the value of the car (you will not get blue book value) vs what the insurance company is going to pay if the vehicle is totaled. Given the age of the vehicle and the fact that body parts may be impossible to find ANY accident may total the vehicle if it hasn't been totaled already)But like I said before it's yourmoney and it's you that will have to suffer the consequences, just be prepared for the "I told you"so replys when it breaks down.

And it's hard to sleep on a floor.

I like about the car it's got no dents on it. I see a little rust spot, surface rust ?? That's like my only gripe but. If you have a dent on your car..

....you are looked at like the type of driver that will put a dent in someone else's, since it is usually assumed you did something to get it there .. it's just one of those things. "Shouldn't matter"

But when some JERK ran a red light and T-boned my truck about 9 months ago.. I eventually sold that thing for really nothing.

Maybe it's that time for the Subaru, which does have a dent on the side.

Yes ANY 27 year old car will have issues whether its a Ferrari or a Honda or a Bentley. If you a set on buying it fine buy it, but be prepared to be driving Mom's Taurus on a regular basis while your "perfect condition" car is down getting fixed. A some more advice run a Carfax and a full vehicle title search on the car. Oh and one final thing you will have to insure the vehicle, if youwant to carry full coverage look at the value of the car (you will not get blue book value) vs what the insurance company is going to pay if the vehicle is totaled. Given the age of the vehicle and the fact that body parts may be impossible to find ANY accident may total the vehicle if it hasn't been totaled already)But like I said before it's yourmoney and it's you that will have to suffer the consequences, just be prepared for the "I told you"so replys when it breaks down.
Trust me, this is what I'm thinking about as I lay here.

This car would be getting State minimums. Only people that finance or lease have to pay those crazy Full Coverage prices.

If the Subaru was fixed today (like it was supposed to be) I wouldn't have thought about it, arranged meet with seller etc.

I could still say no, I just haven't found a better one yet and we're talking $1000 cars.

The 98 960 is $1800 and I don't have that..

Now, see.. that's why, if I find a car that's good to me, I'm keeping it forever.

Somebody straight up jacked my H6 last year, I don't talk about that because honest to goodness it makes me want to .. yeah you know what I shouldn't say. Very bad. Very very bad. I do realize that people don't know I've had this "perfect for me" car and honestly had some very unfortunate events take place. It is all I can do to not be bitter.

Aside from the Magic 8-ball, see above for my experience with the 06 Ford Focus and how that one has not a single issue at 125k miles and how I gifted it to a Ms. Daria Morgendorfer..... So hopefully that should shed soe more context on how

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.

If I DO end up getting this car it's not because you all told me not to. If that makes sense.
You still left out the part about the price and mileage but I guess if it's a 1k car there can't be too many complaints if it lasts you a year.

If you save your pennies, maybe next year you can pick up this 2009 Mercedes E-350, only $3800. Even the wheels on that particular car is worth at least $300-$400 each and 2009 was the best year for the W211.

You still left out the part about the price and mileage but I guess if it's a 1k car there can't be too many complaints if it lasts you a year.

If you save your pennies, maybe next year you can pick up this 2009 Mercedes E-350, only $3800. Even the wheels on that particular car is worth at least $300-$400 each and 2009 was the best year for the W211.

Now we're talking.

I saw a 1998 Volvo 960 for $1800. Did some quick reading,got a lot of the "The best car I ever had" replies etc etc. Not much wrong with, no turbo.. etc. Benz still scared me a little.. I see a 1995 C220 (C230? 220?) in Clementine but.. let me see if that's still up, actually.

Found it ?

Don't know much about those older models. You'd have to search the forums over at mbworld.org and benzworld.org. You could probably pick up a 2004-2005 E-320 pretty cheaply, but I don't really recommend those due to the SBC brakes and those also have fuel tank issues which is no longer covered by a 15 year extended warranty. QC suffered during MB's merger with Chrysler and got better toward the end of the production run on the W211 which would be the 2008/2009 model years.

Don't know much about those older models. You'd have to search the forums over at mbworld.org and benzworld.org. You could probably pick up a 2004-2005 E-320 pretty cheaply, but I don't really recommend those due to the SBC brakes.
they have a 25 year warranty on the brake system, the 3.2 v6 is a zero maintenance motor and the 5speed transmission is tougher than a rock. if you want one of those as a beater the early 320 is a no brainer

they have a 25 year warranty on the brakes. the 3.2 v6 is a zero maintenance motor, the transmission is outstanding
It's not the motor I'd worry about. The radiators were bad in 2003, leaked into the transmission so those got toasted. Side mirror gaskets went bad. Early models also had airmatic as an option, that was removed in the facelift and only on the wagon and E-550. Three separate types of alternators along with a battery control module and the cost of an auxiliary battery for the brakes which 2007-2009 don't have. Broken suspension springs, although that can also happen to the later models, just not as common as they're newer. Main reason I don't like them is because the SBC brakes has a counter and it's MB estimate as to when the pump will fail. Because it's mechanical, there's many stories of people who had brake failure before the counter tripped so all of a sudden you just have 10% braking power. Fun, but I guess for a beater maybe you can't be that picky on having brakes you can feel confident in, guess it's probably the same as getting a leaking master cylinder but you might have more braking power with a leaking master cylinder than a bad SBC pump. MB won't replace the pump until the warning message comes on so you can't just replace it in advance unless you feel like spending a few thousand out of pocket. Fuel tank issues affect the entire W211 line so it's 2-3k to replace the tank if you're outside the 15 year warranty although some just replace the pump and use some RTV to seal the leak instead of replacing the tank. Bluetooth and ipod options were rarer in the early models and more standard on the later models. Oh and for fun, that V6 has 12 spark plugs instead of 6 with the later models. But it's just a few dollars per plug.

"Best" Edmunds review:

Bought J30 in 2000 w/80K miles. Mileage concerned me, but test drive hooked me. Felt solid, expensive, & fast. Now 14 years old with 170K miles on it. Mechanically, has not spent a day in the shop other than oil changes. Most reliable car I've ever owned. Had to know if 150mph speedo was fluff, so one time I took it up to 140 mph and it didn't miss a beat with the 300Z engine. Very impressive. Only flaws: rear end will break loose on you if you corner too aggressively, and isn't worth a hoot in snow (needs sandbags in the trunk in the winter). Sunroof failed so I sealed it shut. Auto door locks and dash lights malfunction occasionally. Exceptional build quality & no body rust. Keep forever.

I've loved J30s since they came out. I bought my J from its original owner who took very good care of it. It has a beautiful interior with high quality materials. I've heard some people say these cars are like Maximas, but they are definitely of a higher caliber with respect to fit and finish, ride, and noise level. The engine and trans are very smooth with adequate power. The ride is smooth and comfortable. I have not had to do anything other than regular maintenance.

"Worst" Edmunds review:

I bought my j30 from a one time owner who maintenanced every 2-3 weeks. (I know it sounds ridiculous but he had all the receipts). It's a wonderful car, and it's in pretty good condition. But as with all cars, time wears them out. The problem there is the cost of everything. (these are what I paid at the time, may be different) 80 dollars for a rebuilt waterpump, 600 for the labor. Also have had problems with the stereo, 1100 for the plugs, brakes, and struts. Overall car is good and has lasted well. If regularly maintained and taken care of, it's fairly decent. Just a few minor issues with electrical things, but long lasting vehicle for sure.

Out of 39 reviews, there is really only ONE that says "Stay away from these" (He must have had problems with his) and seems to have had problems with the dealer.

Was debating on even posting this, I just woke up and have to see what's going on with the Taurus also if this is really happening today.. but even if everything got all of a sudden fixed on the Subaru, i'm not sure it is coming back soon....

Must decide, I will probably let the person bring it. I have to know.

Yes, I know it's old. At this price point, it may be the max of what I can do...

I'll have to make a decision this morning.

I may be the minority here, but I LOVE obscure rare cars!! That's what always attracted me to the Z32 300ZX. Seemed every high school girl had a Mustang or Camaro,but no one had a 300ZX. No one even knew what they were. I always like things that are different.

I think that Infinity J30 is a beautiful car!! I would drive one in a heartbeat. Let us know the miles, condition, price, etc when you go look at it. Cosmetically it looks almost perfect. Like I mentioned, the VG30DE will run forever. Just keep the oil changed every 3K and keep the timing belt changed. I did my 300ZX's timing belt in my driveway. If it's anything like the Z32s, it will be built like a tank.

The LeSabres, Park Avenues etc.. Buicks are so comfortable they are like "driving couches."

aquariuscsm I too I like a rare car, I think the advice here is to stay away because it is OLD...

I think it may in fact have that 300ZX 3.0L V6. VQ? Hmmm.

And its RWD...

Back