My new car.

Ahhhh, there's the missing bit! So the Taurus isn't your car, got it.

Well, if your mother would allow you the time to save up for something that's less likely to play out in the manner in which this is likely, then I think you would be wise to take advantage of that and find something reliable, newer, with lower miles that won't be needy.

I finally got a chance to catch up. My cat's appetite is RAVENOUS tonight.

Okay. So a few weeks ago the Taurus caught a flat. Turns out shop that put on new tire broke 2 of the 5 studs.

So. Mom is in a bit of a tizz until they fix that. I drove as normal..

Fast-forward. This J30 (Altima?) the seller is supposed to meet me at the house tomorrow morning. I can look at the car before I buy it.. I still can say NO but I want to talk about why this makes sense also.

Also, because now I have time.. Have you gotten wind that I'm thinking about "getting out" of that Subaru? Like.. Literally, may finance and pay for its repairs, then someone here can just HAVE it? I've gotten tired of that car. ????

I didn’t realize the J30 was a low production car until I googled the figures. Strange because those cars were extremely common in Dallas back in the mid 90’s.

I'm researching it now, but it seems like it could be a good platform.

I did have a Nissan once, I LOVED it. Now granted that was a 1989 240SX.. I remember the good ones...

Yea and given that parts may not be available or have to be ordered, IMHO I would not make this as my main vehicle. Its 27 years old dude even if its low miles alot of the engine bay pastics are going to be egg shell brittle which will be a majorr PIA when you're trying to fix things . I would skip this, trust me I have a 05 GTO that has been garage kept since day one and meticulously maintained and alot of the plastics have gotten so brittle that sneezing on them breaks them.

Parts availability and brittle plastic?

I know Nissan alternators cost a lot.. but, okay. Older car. Got it.

Just thinking, I remember this era (early 90s Japanese cars) being "the best" .. Toyota first, Honda second, Nissan third.

My Toyota experience has been VERY GOOD and that they can take a beating. My Honda experience has been mixed. My Nissan.. The one I had was great, it was a 1991. So I'm thinking about the whole thing.

Your coming off extremely desperate,which is a mistake in buying anything. You seriously need to stop, seriously stop and think about your next move,your mind is racing.

Second, your not very knowledgeable about automobiles and that's fine.Thats why I tried to tell you earlier about bringing someone alongside with you to look at vehicles. Also this vehicle is not prestine,very far from it.This car will need work regardless of what you are told just because of its age.

Okay. So you're saying.. it's guaranteed to have a problem?

Not bad, but he could get another Taurus/Sable, these at least have the Duratec. Not a fan of the look of the Sable, but they had a couple more items than the Taurus like fog lights and the LS was pretty much the Duratec whereas the SEL was sometimes the Vulcan or Duratec. And at least 2005 is 15 years old instead of 27.

This is car that would get you stared at if you drove it due to loud muffler. It's also RED and I'm sorry.. Red psychologically insinuates speeding/aggression, and usually just doesn't look that good. Especially that one. SO chalky! (Yeah it shouldn't matter but having something smooth has its benefits.)

I know my choices of cars may be *** sometimes but I've been to this rodeo a few times and this is where I'm at.

Now it's just about making the best choice... and that Subaru just may go to a BITOGer. I don't like that car anymore...

Now. Why does this car "need new spark plugs?" Because something on the engine is screwed.. See? I'm good at this.

I'm about to go lay down.

This is what an $850 Toyota looks like in NJ. As stated.. They usually get $1500 because. TOYOTA!!

About $3k over OP's budget.

That is correct.

I can't even chase the $2,000 Hondas.

So. There is NO WAY i'm spending more coin (at the moment) on the Subaru when it's clear.. I need something else, at least in the short term.

Maybe the Subaru can go to a local BITOGer. I physically don't have the room for two cars.

And I had a 2006 Ford Focus this year that y'all didn't know about. Gifted to a friend for same reason: I can only have one car. And that car has never had an issue............................

^^^ And that Focus cost 600 bucks. Two months into the pandemic..

So, there is SOME KIND of method to the madness. Again, I just have to think on this. I drank my wine a half hour ago.

Goodnight (as I sleep with my phone next to me.)

Back