My neighbor's quiet lawn mower

I saw my neighbor's brand new Stihl lawn mower. I got so jealous it was so quiet, I was wondering what make of the motor it was. Then, I searched online it was an electric. o_O. Well it performed like a gas powered.
63994_2000x2000.jpg

But, anyways, I will stick to my old & trusty B&S.

Last edited:
Speaking of noise, I walked by someone's electric Toro mower recently, and it was not quiet at all - I'd say not far off from the sound of my old Toro gas-powered one.

Toro makes a cordless mower that uses the same heavy loud blade as on gas powered mowers. Most all other modern cordless mowers use a special blade that is much lighter and less noisy by design than a gas mower blade.

Briggs & Stratton did or still does, make a special quiet gas engine. I wish this mower took off and other mower manufactures would offer
something gas powered as quiet. The quiet blade trick is used on the quiet gas mower in the video.

Wife and I were just talking on a trip; had corded and battery some time ago.
I think the 2 batteries onboard solution makes sense.
"Double" current is possible for when you come back from vacation when it rained - even if you have to do half at a time.
And then single while recharging the other - to get a normal week done in a single session.

I didnt even know this existed. I think i need one. Watched a bunch of videos and it seems to mow great .I have a small yard and it would most likely work great for me

Plug-in electric mowers have been around a long time, at least the 1980s.

That Stihl mower in the OP has a design "feature" a lot of newer push mowers have, and I've had direct experience with that feature failing. I'm referring to the front wheels being attached to a piece of plastic, not to the metal chassis. This plastic "subframe" with the wheels is attached to the actual front of the metal chassis. I've seen the subframe crack and break over time, taking a wheel with it. Now you have a three-wheeled mower, which doesn't work too well.

It's disappointing to see Stihl use that cheap design. When I buy a push mower, I make sure I get one with all four wheels attached to metal.

Most recently I bought a Yard Machines mower with a 79 cc own-label OHV gas engine (not Briggs & Stratton). Don't know what is different about the design, but this one is amazingly easy to start and quiet running. Briggs needs to learn from this design. What I'll buy next time, I don't know, but it might be corded electric.

I saw my neighbor's brand new Stihl lawn mower. I got so jealous it was so quiet, I was wondering what make of the motor it was. Then, I searched online it was an electric. o_O. Well it performed like a gas powered.
63994_2000x2000.jpg

But, anyways, I will stick to my old & trusty B&S.
Get a new muffler to save a few decibels. Wear ear protection......you'll thank me in 30 years.

Back