My neighbor's quiet lawn mower

My advice to you, young fella, is to embrace change and keep up with modern times lest you become an old bitter man complaining about how things used to be. Technology is changing. Keep up with it.
Hahahaha too funny!

Although I have the nice and very capable Toro electric, it won’t do what a gas one will. I have a Snapper commercial for real work.

I have a hand-powered lawnmower. My neighbor's two teenage sons have been putting on some muscles over the summer and they made a minor fortune trimming the herbage. I wish I could rent a single goat once a year. You have to rent at least 50. I don't have enough weeds for 50 hungry goats.

Yep, I'm sure today's battery powered mowers will last longer than my 1987 Toro GTS-120 with a Suzuki motor. Aluminum deck, powerful and durable motor, and nothing has broken on it in 34 years. If I had a tiny yard, maybe I'd buy one. Nah.

They won't last that long, and they don't compare with regard to run time (or charge time).

I have a lot of Lithium "yard" tools now, as we use them to clean our various aircraft hangars. First things first, the batteries last between 12 and 15 minutes of "full throttle" use on the best Elec blowers. That's not enough run-time to clean a hangar, period, end of story, nor do any of them have quite enough velocity to push gravel (yes we get gravel into the hangars from the ramp) The Stihl gas powered ones can do the job with less volume and more velocity, along with great run time and easy refill.

The Toro 6AH mower lasts 35 minutes in regular use (low speed) and about 13 minutes cutting very tall grass on high. It has gobs of power, that much is for sure, AS LONG AS THE BATTERY IS OVER 50%. Once the battery is half gone, the "turbo" mode fails to improve the torque, and it just like every other mower then.

The $1700 commercial electric mower ain't bad, and comes with 2 batteries. You'll need them in commercial applications. Maybe they could be charged with a harbor freight 2 stroke generator (for environmental reasons)

Last edited:
I wonder how easy it is to piece together a battery for these things. I mean can you replace cells, etc at a tiny fraction of the cost.

I get that part. But it doesn't mean we should scrap everything good and just go with the newest gimmick, gadget or trend.

Yup. There is a lot of space between jumping on the newest trends and declaring you'll never give up your old ways.

Hahahaha too funny!

Although I have the nice and very capable Toro electric, it won’t do what a gas one will. I have a Snapper commercial for real work.
We have noticed you enjoy nice equipment !

I have a hand-powered lawnmower. My neighbor's two teenage sons have been putting on some muscles over the summer and they made a minor fortune trimming the herbage. I wish I could rent a single goat once a year. You have to rent at least 50. I don't have enough weeds for 50 hungry goats.
Not sure why you are talking about your neighbors teenage sons muscles? That is very creepy!

I don't do oil changes with my mower anyway so i can remove that from the list.
Toro20442.jpg

My advice to you, young fella, is to embrace change and keep up with modern times lest you become an old bitter man complaining about how things used to be. Technology is changing. Keep up with it.
That's good advice, it happened to me!
Have people been mowing their whole lives without ear protection? I throw in a set of earplugs when I’m using pretty well anything with a motor.
I throw in my noise canceling earbuds and listen to music or a podcast while I mow. Nice and relaxing.

I think the electric mowers are cool, but like anything else it's all about the right tool for the job. Have a small lawn and don't feel like dealing with 2-stroke equipment or gas mowers? Then the battery equipment like say Toro where the same battery for the mower fits the blower, trimmer, etc, will be perfect. Those with bigger demands it might not work for.

I used the plug in, 120v powered black and decker mower from 2006 to 2017 when I had a small yard. Man I gave that thing hell. It wouldn't stall and it would chew up grass and tall weeds about as fast my briggs and stratton 6hp flat head.

Back