Why all the fuss over Honda products

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Honda engine equipped Husqvarna mower and am not impressed. Have always had Briggs engines without fail. I actually tried to get a model without the HOnda engine, but couldn't. Now it does run well, I'll give it that but it sucks more gas than the old Briggs that I still use (only 8 years old and runs great..just wanted self propelled is the reason I bought a new mower). It is also very fussy with gas. It will not run on gas that is old (even with Stabil)- the briggs will run on pee if needed. Si always keep the freshes gas you can. Lastly, the engine is full of plastic parts like the fuel petcock which broke the 1st month of use and the air filter box is cheaply made. Engine power is just ok, but I think its probably governed down. I run Mobil 1 in it, change it regularly yet it has started smoking at start up. This is the 2nd year I have had it. The old Briggs doesn't smoke yet.

I just don't see the hoopla over Honda engines.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I have a Honda engine equipped Husqvarna mower and am not impressed. Have always had Briggs engines without fail. I actually tried to get a model without the HOnda engine, but couldn't. Now it does run well, I'll give it that but it sucks more gas than the old Briggs that I still use (only 8 years old and runs great..just wanted self propelled is the reason I bought a new mower). It is also very fussy with gas. It will not run on gas that is old (even with Stabil)- the briggs will run on pee if needed. Si always keep the freshes gas you can. Lastly, the engine is full of plastic parts like the fuel petcock which broke the 1st month of use and the air filter box is cheaply made. Engine power is just ok, but I think its probably governed down. I run Mobil 1 in it, change it regularly yet it has started smoking at start up. This is the 2nd year I have had it. The old Briggs doesn't smoke yet.

I just don't see the hoopla over Honda engines.

Finally, someone with some sense chimes in. I am with you. I love how this thread ended up turning into a B&S bash fest by Honda engine owners. Figures though.
18.gif

Originally Posted By: evoboy
Originally Posted By: Tim H.
most consumers will average a new mower every 5 years. So they design them to last just that long.

As I said , built in obsolescence. Not good for the planet.

Also factor in that the reason most consumers have to buy a new mower is the neglect they did on the one they had, like not changing oil, leaving it outside in the weather and not covering it, stuff like that. B&S's are good for what they are built for. A flathead-inspired engine that does what it needs to, as cheaply as possible, for a specific amount of time. as for not good for the planet, depends on whether it is recycled or not.

Owner neglect is definitely a major factor , but the energy required to manufacture any product is lost when it ceases to be used and is replaced by a new item. Recycling is better than throwing it on a junk pile but requires more energy.

Originally Posted By: evoboy
most consumers will average a new mower every 5 years. So they design them to last just that long.

As I said , built in obsolescence. Not good for the planet.

Also factor in that the reason most consumers have to buy a new mower is the neglect they did on the one they had, like not changing oil, leaving it outside in the weather and not covering it, stuff like that. B&S's are good for what they are built for. A flathead-inspired engine that does what it needs to, as cheaply as possible, for a specific amount of time. as for not good for the planet, depends on whether it is recycled or not.

Sometimes this is the case. But not for me. Both engines would not hold a steady idle speed and would bog down under light loads from the very first start! One of my mowers was a Poulan, and the other was a Yard machine. My guess is both had serious vacuum leaks somewhere. My neighbor had a mower with a Briggs that went kaput having very similar symptoms as mine. He spent many hours trying to get that engine working right. He now has a mower with a Honda engine (GCV160).. Runs very smooth and no stalling. I guess I am anti Briggs and Straton since I had such a bad experience. I must have had the very lowest end B&S! They were absolutely lemons.

I have an edger with a Honda GC-135 engine (non-commercial/black cover). You have to "prime" by pushing the lever back and forth from slow to fast 3 times and then two pulls with choke on and it starts. Once running with it's overhead cam (OHC) it purrs...amazing 4 HP engine. Smooth as silk. Carb can not be adjusted much as it has limiters. I would give it a 8/10 rating.

My 9 HP HS928 Honda snowblower has a commercial engine (red metal cover). It starts immediately ALWAYS after the first "half" pull. It has a choke as part of the throttle lever. Just plain amazing. 10/10 rating.

My 16 HP Briggs Vanguard V-Twin Commercial tractor engine. Well after 500 hours zero wear on UAO and it is as close to perfect as it gets. 10+/10

My 3.5 Tec pressure washer starts and runs great...sucks gas...but a great little L-head that loves to work. 9/10.

Echo blower and trimmer runs great on Amsoil Sabre' syn oil. Starts are easy..fun to use. 10/10 rating.

Last edited:
My Honda powered Lawn Boy runs great as well.
After the first two tanks of gas, the 'mileage' inproved some.
I've just jacked up the RPMs this week-end. Haven't mowed with it since though.
Still, it's rated to run faster than its set for on residential mowers.

I own a Troy Bilt Tru Cut 100 mower with a B&S Quantum 6.5 (I believe its a quantum). Its an '05 model bought in '06 for about $70. Prior owner did not maintain it and the oil was metallic in color and low (probably original fill). I immediately switched it to Mobil 1 5W-30. I now change the oil, plug and air filter on a yearly basis in the spring.

After about a year of the Mobil 1 the oil consumption problem has disappeared, some strange slapping noises it originally made have gone away and it starts on the first pull (when cold that is).

The bad:

Fuel economy has tanked in the past year. I used to be able to mow our entire lot (small Florida lot) for an entire month on one tank. Now I can maybe go 2 weeks before having to refill.

Hot starts - not happening. Have not had the time or $$$ to take it somewhere to get it fixed. Just have adjusted to mow the entire lawn in one session with no breaks.

Not bad considering its pushing 5 years old. It would be wonderful if it would start while hot. :)

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
Brigg's has their lower end and professional(higher end) engines.

I agree with that. Iv'e had good luck with both Honda (GX) engines and Briggs. Some of the newer Briggs stuff is cheesy for sure. Usually found on the deck of a discount store mower, where the mower manuf. or the discount store is squeezing Briggs for every nickel. Now they are using Chinese engines.
Honda makes some low cost engines as well. Iv'e never owned one.
The real measure of value I suppose is the lifespan of the engine in hours. I've seen it published ocasionally, but more often it is not. I just replaced 1 1961 Briggs motor on an old David Bradley cast iron tiller. Honda GX engines are fairly expensive with Briggs running less $$ per Hp. I ended up buying a surplus Briggs with a ball bearing at the PTO end. I went with a little better engine so that it would last, instead of the cheapest one Briggs made. If I'm fast on the choke, it starts on the first yank. You get what you pay for. On the other hand, If I'm buying a high end mower, don't give me a low end engine from either manufacturer so that you can maximize your profit.

Let me try to help you guys out, there was this war called World War II, there was this country called Japan, we basically leveled everything.

Well, after the war, we helped them rebuild, they got new factories and tools and the rest is history.

I have this snowblower that is a Honda HS928, it has a 9 horsepower engine on it, we had a monster snowstorm in 2001, that snowblower blew the snow almost 50 feet.

I had 2 neighbors that had Tecumseh engines on there snowblowers, 1 had a 9 horsepower engine and the other had a 13 horsepower engine, both of there machines only blew the snow 5 to 10 feet.

I have a Honda 11 HP pressure washer I use for washing houses and decks. Good solid engine, however the gas tank rotted out a few years back, and I had to replace the carb this summer. The machine is well maintained oil changed frequently, every 25 hours, and I run an inline gas filter. I was a little disappointed when I ordered a Honda Carb and it was made in China. I learned something new that day.

I also have a Briggs powered lawn mower, which I pulled out of the garbage behind a mower repair shop. It cost me less than $25 and about 30 minutes time to fix it. I have been using it for over 10 years now w/o a single problem. I change the oil at the end of the season every year.

I also have a 5.5 HP Tecumseh snowblower that I pulled out of the trash, this cost me about $50 to fix, and is going on its 6th season this year, no problems with it either.

I guess sometimes it the luck of the draw.

Frank D

Originally Posted By: c3po
Let me try to help you guys out, there was this war called World War II, there was this country called Japan, we basically leveled everything.

Well, after the war, we helped them rebuild, they got new factories and tools and the rest is history.

The Japanese also embraced to Demming and his statistical process control theories, while the rest of the world discounted them as to costly to implement. Short term pain, for long term gain. Then in the 80's and 90's everybody wants to catch up and starts implementing SPC. Meanwhile the Japanese develop lean manufacturing and the rest truly is history.

I have this snowblower that is a Honda HS928, it has a 9 horsepower engine on it, we had a monster snowstorm in 2001, that snowblower blew the snow almost 50 feet.

I had 2 neighbors that had Tecumseh engines on there snowblowers, 1 had a 9 horsepower engine and the other had a 13 horsepower engine, both of there machines only blew the snow 5 to 10 feet.

The throw distance has nothing to do with your engine. It has to do with the fact that Honda has tight clearances in the impeller housing - top of the heap, in fact.

Your neighbours can buy a simply retro fit kit to close the impeller gaps and double throw distance and eliminate slush clogs.

I did it on my 1986 Toro 824 and it really made a difference. I haven't seen a heavy two-stage Honda on my street, but my machine out throws everything else around here.

i dont think they're worth the 3X price tag anymore (they were before i think), but i dont know what else is better either.
I think that pretty well sums up a honda buyers thoughts.It is a throw away world lately, like someone already stated.

Unbelieveable!
LOL.gif

Last edited:
I got a new hrx217k2hma after my 11 year old HRM215HXa tramission went out. I paid less for the new Honda than the old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back